View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: Ask
Carrier: US Cellular

To the OP, here is the comment that I posted on your site. I could not find a petition to sign, but that is OK as I don't think it would do much good anyways.

Quote:
According to the latest statistics that I have seen, about 7% or so of the desktops out there are Apple Macs, and less than 1% are running Linux of one distro or the other. It is all a numbers game, the important numbers being revenue. RIM still has not addressed its lack of an Apple solution, and I doubt we'll see one for Linux until it is economically beneficial for RIM to do so.

I wish that this weren't the case, but do keep in mind that RIM is set up as a proprietary organization, not an Open Source one, and their primary motivation is the buck!

Like many other things in the Linux world, this is probably an area where, if we want something, we'll have to do it ourselves as a community. From what I can see, Barry is the most realistic shot.
I would love to see something to the level of support that is out there for Palm devices (all the "pilot" apps). I don't know if Palm had anything to do with this or not.

With mobile devices like the Android-powered T-Mobile G1 beginning to show up, and the OpenMoko project coming along, we may find that development energies get spent on all-Linux solutions, instead of porting to the proprietary world.

While I love my new Curve, I am just waiting for the day that Android gets ported to the CDMA world and US Cellular.

Support Open Source.