Old 08-31-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default Bluetooth Folding Keyboard - Now Becoming Possible! [Preorder]

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
EDIT: As of May 2005, a Bluetooth keyboard model from a competitor is now available for preorder here. One of the sponsors of this site will probably be carrying this model as well, keep tuned.

Now that Bluetooth keyboard has become available by a competitor for BlackBerry, let's help ThinkOutside consider writing a Bluetooth driver.

To help things, please post replies in these threads at ThinkOutside's forums:
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=9&tid=935
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=5&tid=610
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=5&tid=934

If you want a ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard, go click and post a reply at these links!
Check out Bluetooth Stowaway XT.

CC: ThinkOutside Partners [email address]
CC: RIM Suggestions Box [email address]
[email address]
[email address]

(There is the Bluetooth version of this exact same keyboard of exact same model)

This is the world's smallest touchtypeable Bluetooth keyboard, full size 19 millimeter keys, and works well with iPaq's and some models of cellphones (Symbian). I am considering getting this for use with my iPaq and laptop, as well as home use, since I can reuse this keyboard on several of my existing Bluetooth enabled devices. It would be nice if I could use it with the upcoming 7290 too!

I am hoping that RIM will permit the Bluetooth in the 7290 to work with other accessories such as this one. If RIM reads this, please make sure that it's technically possible/easy for ThinkOutside to write a Bluetooth Blackberry 7290 driver, perhaps with the help of RIM.
:D

I should add, that ThinkOutside made a keyboard for older 85X/95X units, but that was during the days when there were only 20,000 to 50,000 Blackberries. I would like to note to ThinkOutside that Blackberries now sell over 1,000,000 annually now, which means a much bigger market. I am just noting this, to prevent discouragement that ThinkOutside might have had because the small market of 85X/95X likely prevented ThinkOutside from considering making a keyboard for Blackberry model 6210. Since the Bluetooth keyboard now exists, this is now likely just a simple matter of a software driver that both RIM and ThinkOutside needs to collaborate on!

I own a Stowaway XT (non-Bluetooth) and they are pretty handy for the occasoinal need for a full size keyboard for longer messages on my iPaq. But as I now use my Blackberry, and even though I can thumbtouchtype very fast, I can type on a full size keyboard even faster.

This is useful for the occasional super-long email (5,000 character plus league) that's a bit of a chore on a thumb keyboard. Thumb keyboards are amazing for all the short stuff though! It's just nice to occasoinally whip out a full size keyboard without bringing around a laptop! Definitely, I prefer the thumb keyboard for most short message stuff, but a full size keyboard is handy for the large marathon emails!

Numerous inquiries have continually popped up from time to time about whether it is possible to attach a keyboard to the Blackberry, so there is evidently demand out there (and much more so today!).

Blackberry 7290 already has Bluetooth, AND a Bluetooth keyboard exist. So, this may even just entail a mere few hours of software development work, and reap dividends in goodwill by users of both companies, and push more units of sales for both companies. Also gives people more reason to upgrade to the Blackberry 7290 too rather than making do with existing Blackberries too, as I am not interested in Bluetooth headsets but would be in the full size keyboard.

I encourage RIM and ThinkOutside to collaborate to make sure that developments are made to make sure the Bluetooth keyboard functions on the Blackberry. A copy of this message was sent to ThinkOutside Partners <partners(at)thinkoutside.com> and to the RIM Suggestions Box <bbsuggestons(at)rim.net>. Perhaps you two might be busy with other products but you two might as well start contacting each other and investigating the feasibility of at least a simple Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard driver reasonably early in the product life of the Bluetooth Blackberry 7290!

There are other Bluetooth keyboards, but this is the most portable one because it fits comfortably in my pocket (I have the iPaq version of this exact same keyboard) and I can touchtype just as fast on it as a laptop, since the keys are full size 19mm key pitch.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-24-2005 at 03:08 PM..