View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
george57l

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Also dumbfounded

I also had this problem.

The witty instruction: "1. In the voice dialing application, wait for the sound." does not really help at all if it is not intuitively clear (and it is NOT - AT ALL - clear) how to access or enter or launch or just plain find the "voice dialing application".

(Presumably if I knew this, the mystic sounding "wait for the sound" might make some sense. It turns out "wait for the sound" actually means "wait for the BB voice system to invite you to say a command - which might be a bit of a better explanation...)

As a side comment, the BB has many applications - all represented by icons on the screen (Messages, Contacts, Calendar, Games, Clock, Maps, etc). But not ONE of these icons is a Phone application. Took me a few too many seconds to realise that the witty BB instructions that start "in the Phone application" was not a reference to anything that could be accessed via a menu icon, and that just hitting the Send button was actually the only way to access the Phone application. I wondered what the Voice Dialing "application" would turn out to have as its access method? Some consistency in any operating system or user interface is always a good idea (shame BB doesn't fully execute it) as an alternative to obscure or non-intuitive/non-obvious methods. Hey-ho.

But eventually I realised that among the application icons on the menu there is one called "Applications" ! Whoa there - so what are all those others like Clock and Music and Maps? Clearly not applications, it seems. And of course there it is in Applications - Voice Dialling! Yee-haw!

But let's think - I am most likely to need Voice Dialling when I have to be hands free - as in HAVE TO BE - i.e. when driving. So maybe having the Voice Dialling application a bit more accessible than hidden at least three clicks (each with trackballing inbetween) away from the Home screen might be a better idea. The amount of time and "hands on" activity spent getting to the app is as nearly as much as dialling a number for Pete's sake! Kind of defeats the object.

So - is there a way to get the Voice Dialling application onto the Home screen such that a single click will activate it? Alternatively I'd link it to one of those hot shortcut keys on the side of the BB Bold, if only there was a way to disable/enable those keys in a trice - I am so fed up of triggering one of the shortcut apps every single time I pick the BB up.

Sigh. Glad to have got all that off my chest. As you can tell, this is a most frustrating learning curve - I hope someone from RIM is watching these forums and taking notes....

Oh - and the actual answer to the original poster's question was "look in the Applications icon on the menu screen - you'll find what you want in there" (and probably not a re-copy of a set of instructions he probably had anyway, and had made as much sense of as I had in all probability)

Last edited by george57l; 02-11-2009 at 07:39 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote