View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #127
DougMcCready
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

A quick note to anyone considering where to purchase Garmin for their BB. I purchased from Handango when they had their 25% off deal about a month ago. I have a Bold and really like the Garmin app. I used Telenav for a year on my 8800 and switched because they compare relatively well (IMHO) but the TCO was lower on Garmin. HOWEVER, when you purchase from Handango, you are really buying a "handango branded" version and you are then forever bound to get any upgraded version from Handango. Your registration code WILL NOT WORK on the version downloaded from the Garmin site, or site other than Handango. Also, you can't re-download your "lifetime" Handango version without also purchasing their "download protection" plan for an additional $6.99 and is only for 3 years.

A few days after I purchased the Garmin app from Handango and found these details, I requested a refund from Handango, which took me a few weeks of crazy email games before I ended up talking to David Mason (Manager of Customer Care) who says he's going to refund my purchase price.

Once I get the refund, I'm going to the Garmin site and purchase.

BTW - Garmin is responsible for Handango content, so I'm a little frustrated with both Handango and Garmin that they put their customers through such a run-around. It just feels like it should be an easier experience.
Offline   Reply With Quote