View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default BES/MDS Hosting Advantages even with Blackberry 4.0 TCP/IP

Please Login to Remove!

After the deployment of the TCP/IP stack on Blackberries, prosumer/individual demand for 3rd party BES/MDS hosting will definitely go down but not dissappear. I have decided I will probably keep my Mailstreet BES/MDS because of the below reasons:
  • You typically only get 10megs with BWC. You don't get a big Exchange mailbox, 100+ or 250+ megs or even a gigabyte;
  • You can only get wireless over-the-air full-PIM synchronization over BES/MDS. Wirelessly synchronize your entire Microsoft Outlook (Addressbook, Calendar, Tasks, Notes) to Blackberry? Still need BES/MDS.
  • Better rules-based mail filter capability (especially with 4.0 infrastructure) with BES/MDS; You want to add a mailfilter that you can't do with BWC? Tough. Still need BES/MDS.
  • Your carrier may not allow OTA downloads even if other socket apps work;
  • Your carrier may limit OTA downloads. You're trying to download software over 70 kilobytes on TMobile? Tough. You need BES/MDS.
  • Make your Blackberry email & Internet work with carriers that don't support Blackberry, such as Fido Canada. (Bring Your Own Access).
  • Port blocking on some carriers;
  • BWC has configurable restrictions that the carriers might use
  • Some carriers may not enable the TCP/IP stack;
  • Better performance, due to slow BWC servers;
A few days ago, my @rogers.blackberry.net address took 5 minutes to arrive, while my BES/MDS email arrives in just 3-4 seconds. Usually both are almost identical in speed. It's true -- a slow BWC often doesn't have any impact on the performance of BES/MDS. Web surfing through BES/MDS was also faster too in those times of a heavily loaded BWC. When I reconfigure the browser to download through BWC then BES/MDS, then BWC, then BES/MDS, I can see a very clear peformance improvement by surfing through BES/MDS. Sometimes web requests are delayed by over 30 seconds, while I get a start of a download in a short moment when web browsing through the BES/MDS. Not always, Rogers BWC is usually very fast. (Doesn't RIM operate the blackberry.net servers though? If so, obviously they prioritize BES/MDS traffic then.)

RIM very much intends to keep advantages of having a BES. They're continually adding more and more features to BES, to keep people using BES even when it is no longer necessary for other things.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source