Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
crackbradley
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: Telus
Default Re: Got one? How is it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Tens of thousands of apps to do what exactly?

I'm fairly happy with it, but I'm looking at it as a perfect portable media player, as well it is shaping up to be a beauty in terms of an add-on to the office environment.

Tablets were never meant to me stand alone devices
If their strategy is to compete against the iPad (which it is, and that is underscored by the fact that it's only available retail for the next two months) then that consumer segment want their fart apps. I bought this to be a business tool but now I'm told that I can't use it that way until the summer time at the earliest. I can't manage it or publish my corporate apps to it until then. I can't use it on a standard corporate data plan until sometime later than that even. I can't use BBM on it. The list goes on. I find there is absolutely nothing that I can do on it today that I use my BB for - I had hoped this would be a BB with more screen real estate.

Tablets are designed to be standalone devices - that's why they exist. So you don't have to take out your laptop every time you simply want to check a website/email/calendar or run basic apps. THIS tablet isn't designed to be a stand-alone device today but they're promising that will be ready by summer. I bought this knowing I'd have to use the bridge link to my BB and I'm fine with that; but it doesn't piggyback on the BB data plan, it simply uses it as it will use any other Bluetooth enabled phone that supports tethering.

It's a bitter disappointment to me that I'm sure will be rectified over the next twelve months but my point is that it doesn't serve their corporate customers or consumers as it ships today. It was clearly rushed out the door and if this is the best they can do after all of the hype then I'm worried about their ability to compete against the likes of Apple. I've got skin in the game here - I've hitched my corporate wagon to RIM so understand I desperately need this product to be a success but today I'm evaluating my alternatives.
Offline   Reply With Quote