View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Nguyen2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default From RIM Support...

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The error "unable to open port" means the handheld can't make a connection through the USB port. I could suggest the following steps be completed to resolve this issue.

1.Disable the Power Management option for the Universal Serial Bus (USB) root hubs on the personal computer.

a) Open the Control Panel by clicking Start > Settings > Control
Panel.
b) In the Control Panel, double-click System.
c) Select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
d) In the Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
e) Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
f) Select the Power Management tab and un-check Allow the computer
to turn off this device to save power.
g) Repeat steps five and six for other entries named USB Root Hub.

2. Also in the Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controller you will see something called RIM handheld or BlackBerry Device. Right click and hit Uninstall. At this point reboot your computer.

3. At this point try running the Java Loader again but this time connect the handheld, open the DOS prompt, type the Java Loader command again but this time perform a Hard Reset (take the battery out) while connected. Once the battery is put back in the handheld, execute the command. From the point when the battery is replaced and the command is executed, this should only take about 3 seconds to do.

4. Which USB port are you plugging the cable into? Are we using a Laptop? If so, are we using a docking station?

5. You could try another USB Cable.

6. A good test that will really distinguish if the computer is giving the issue or the handheld would be to try another computer(if avaliable).

Once these steps are completed please send us in your results and we can continue from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried the above and it didn't work. So here was the next email I got from RIM...

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. At this point I would recommend that this handheld is either repaired or replaced. To do this, please contact your wireless service provider and inform them of the troubleshooting steps you have completed along with our recommendations. If necessary, reference your case number (xxxx) so that they may contact us if they require more details.

If you do not know the wireless service provider for that handheld, please reply to this email and include the PIN for that device. The PIN can be found by removing the battery and looking beneath it.

If you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you again for contacting us.

So I ended up getting the user a new device. Oh well.