Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
I have an SD card in my 8320 with .42 and get no "hangs"
I should really have elaborated more than just that statement!

My experiences with an 8800 (8GB SanDisk SDHC Card) and an 8100 (4GB SanDisk SDHC Card) have shown constant resets on both devices IF I copy a large amount of data across to the SD Card in one go (e.g. 3.5GB of files consisting mainly of @320MB pictures and @3GB music).

My belief (or superstition) is that the "Media" scans the SD Card upon booting up and just throws a wobbly whilst scanning the SD Card causing either a reset or a permanent hang; with the above amount of data.

However, IF I copy the files across incrementally then the OS seems to react much better and I don't really see any significant "hour-glass"/hangs; via Mass Storage i.e. BB connected to notebook.

The "hour-glass"/hang issue seems to be more noticeable on the 8100 (after booting) than the 8800.

In all cases no 3rd party apps have been running above and beyond the basic OS processes. Which made me think it was an SD Card issue (possibly inconjunction with "Media" app).

I noticed you have an 8320. How big an SD Card do you have and what kind of breakdown of files do you have stored?

Edit : Forgot to mention that after the initial boot up and the occasional 5-10sec hourglassing (whilst Media is scanning I believe). Thereafter, the OS is very responsive on both devices.

Last edited by PDM; 06-12-2008 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Edit
Offline   Reply With Quote