View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #74
LazLong

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Smile Re: 9700 alternating between Red LED & Charging Icon

@Canalcop

Thank you so very much for your description of LiPO charging. Based upon your description I was certain that was the issue I was having while trying to resurrect my wife's old Bold to pass it on to my nephew. The Bold had been unused for a little over four months and didn't appear to be charging the battery. I haven't had a device with a LiPO battery and haven't learned their vagaries, and your post was VERY helpful.

Like some of the others in this thread, I was having the solid red LED for approx. 60 sec. followed by a black screen, then, after several magical incantations involving the sacrifice of my first born son, etc. the battery with a lightning bold would appear for a short time then back to the red LED and black screen which was eventually followed by just a black screen. By leaving the Bold attached to the charger for approximately 10 hours I was able to turn it on and have it boot.

I know this is a bit repetitive, but here are the steps I took that I believe led to the Bold properly charging.

1) Remove back from Bold, leaving the battery in.

2) Plug the original BlackBerry charger into the wall and then plug it into the Bold.

3) After red LED lights, remove battery for 30 seconds and then replace battery. During the entire time of this step the LED should stay red.

4) After the LED goes out push and hold the power button. You should be able to notice a few faint flickers of the screen and then be presented with a screen with the outline of a battery with a lightning bolt in the center. This image will disappear and then the LED will light red again.

At this point I repeated steps 2 through 4 several times over the course of approximately two hours. I then decided to just leave the phone connected to the charger for 10 hours. I believe I then simply held down the power button and I was rewarded with the spinning clock. It is possible that I repeated steps 2 through 4 one more time and then was rewarded with the spinning clock. Sorry, but I don't remember exactly as I'm sleep deprived.

So, once again, thank you so very much Canalcop for an explanation that made sense and wasn't merely a set of steps and incantations without any real sense to them.

Last edited by LazLong; 08-03-2011 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Added @Canalcop
Offline   Reply With Quote