Old 05-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Travelling in UK

Please Login to Remove!

I will be returning home to UK this Autumn (for a month or two) and possibly for a month or more next year. Currently I am living in Canada and will be phasing out my Motorola Q for a Blackberry device. Possibly I will terminate with Telus (possibly not)

What I would like to do, is to keep my old number alive, or find a new number (with a new service) on a new plan, that will allow reasonably priced voice calls and data. I doubt (when I am away) that I will use the phone for more than ten (fifteen) minutes a day, with a few text email's as well (I will not be using it to browse the web) I am about two years into a Telus three year contract currently.

The alternative is to buy a prepaid phone card (and phone or Blackberry) in UK - a few it seems have data plans available as an option. That would mean two different telephone numbers though (which I would like to avoid)

All the carriers and plans I have looked at (in UK and Canada) seem to have exorbitant international roaming rates.

Whatever way I go, it looks like it will be expensive (for anything more than minimal use) Is there any plan at all (from any carrier) that I can use worldwide, that will not burn a hole in my pocket?

Thank You

David
Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
PaulMdx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

You can buy a BB Pearl on Orange in the UK on Pay as You Go. From the scarce information available it looks like you pay £5 a month for the BB data. You'd have to pay for the phone but you can always Ebay it if you've got a Canadian handset.

(Btw: It's "the UK" not just "UK" because the K (kingdom) is a non-proper noun.)

Last edited by PaulMdx; 05-17-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Old 05-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMdx View Post
You can buy a BB Pearl on Orange in the UK on Pay as You Go. From the scarce information available it looks like you pay £5 a month for the BB data. You'd have to pay for the phone but you can always Ebay it if you've got a Canadian handset.

(Btw: It's "the UK" not just "UK" because the K (kingdom) is a non-proper noun.)
Thank you Paul; I will take a look at Orange. I will also brush up on my understanding of a non-proper noun!

Cheers
Closed Thread