Old 05-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
blitzerman

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default Question about SD Encryption

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have a BlackBerry 8310. I have enabled password & Device encryption for my SD card. I have also selected for all media files to be encrypted, so that if I ever lose my phone and someone plugs it into their computer, they cannot view my pictures etc. However, the only media files it seems to encrypt are those that you extract from through the use of the phone i.e. if a friend sends me a picture through BB messenger, it seems to encrypt that picture. But, if i plug my SD into my PC and drag pictures/files into the SD, those files do not encrypt.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Question about SD Encryption

That's the way it works. Files acquired by or generated on the BlackBerry will be encrypted.

A work around is to move the unencrypted file using the BlackBerry. That will result in the file being encrypted. If you want, you may move the file back to the orginal folder afterward.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
blitzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
That's the way it works. Files acquired by or generated on the BlackBerry will be encrypted.

A work around is to move the unencrypted file using the BlackBerry. That will result in the file being encrypted. If you want, you may move the file back to the orginal folder afterward.
Thanks for the response, but it still doesn't encrypt the pictures, even if I use Blackberry Desktop Manager via USB to transfer them from my PC to my BlackBerry
Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Did you do what I advised?

I'll have to test when I get home, but I believe what you are seeing is just the way it is. If so, the work around is as follows: Once you have copied files to the BlackBerry using Desktop Manager (and if the files are not encrypted), then move the files to another folder using the BlackBerry file manager and then move the files back to the original folder. That will cause the files to be encrypted.

It won't hurt to double check your settings also and make sure encryption is enabled and that media files are included.

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-21-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Old 05-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
blitzerman

Quote:
Did you do what I advised?

I'll have to test when I get home, but I believe what you are seeing is just the way it is. If so, the work around is as follows: Once you have copied files to the BlackBerry using Desktop Manager (and if the files are not encrypted), then move the files to another folder using the BlackBerry file manager and then move the files back to the original folder. That will cause the files to be encrypted.

It won't hurt to double check your settings also and make sure encryption is enabled and that media files are included.
I have created a folder on my pc called "imported pictures". Using Blackberry Desktop Manager I synced the pictures inside of that folder to the blackberry. It syncs fine, and even creates the folder "imported pictures" ON the blackberry, but doesn't encrypt the pictures.

I cannot move the pictures from that folder using Blackberry Desktop Manager as Blackberry Desktop Manager doesn't show ANY pictures on the device, as if there is no pictures on the phone. It only lets me sync pictures to the phone but not export current pictures from the phone. (as they don't show up in the desktop manager)

Encryption is enabled
Old 05-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Let me say it again a different way:

Once you have put the pictures on the BlackBerry, disconnect the BlackBerry from the computer.

Now, if you have a files app on your BlackBerry, use it to navigate to the folder on the BlackBerry where the pictures are located. If you don't have a files app on your BlackBerry, open the media app on the BlackBerry, open the menu, select explore, and navigate to the folder where the images are located.

Now, look at the file names, looking at the files using the BlackBerry. Do the file names have a .rem extension? If so, they are encrypted. If not, they are not encrypted.

If the files are not encrypted, then use the BlackBerry to move the files to another location on the media card and then move the files back. The files will be encrypted when they are moved the first time. The second move is just to return the files to the original location.

If your files are not being encrypted when you run the media sync, I assume that is just the way it is. There is no setting that I know of to change it. But the work around I describe will result in the files being encrypted.

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-21-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
blitzerman

Quote:
Let me say it again a different way:

Once you have put the pictures on the BlackBerry, disconnect the BlackBerry from the computer.

Now, if you have a files app on your BlackBerry, use it to navigate to the folder on the BlackBerry where the pictures are located. If you don't have a files app on your BlackBerry, open the media app on the BlackBerry, open the menu, select explore, and navigate to the folder where the images are located.

Now, look at the file names, looking at the files using the BlackBerry. Do the file names have a .rem extension? If so, they are encrypted. If not, they are not encrypted.

If the files are not encrypted, then use the BlackBerry to move the files to another location on the media card and then move the files back. The files will be encrypted when they are moved the first time. The second move is just to return the files to the original location.

If your files are not being encrypted when you run the media sync, I assume that is just the way it is. There is no setting that I know of to change it. But the work around I describe will result in the files being encrypted.
Thanks a lot, that worked. I thought you meant move them again using the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Once again, many thanks (Y)
Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Happy to help.

I have to say, from your first post I assumed you were just dragging and dropping the files using the BlackBerry in mass storage mode. I wasn't surprised that the files were not being encrypted. But when you said you were using media sync, I was sort of surprised the files were not being encrypted. But clearly, if that's what is happening, then that's just the way it is. But, like you, I would have expected otherwise.

Another by the way, if you ever use the Documents To Go files app to synchronize document files between the computer and the BlackBerry, the unencrypted files on the computer will be encrypted on the BlackBerry if encryption is enabled. That's part of the reason I would have expected the files to be encrypted when sync'd with Desktop Manager media sync. But that appears not to be the case.

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-21-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Closed Thread