Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
Dolphin1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Unlocked
Default Default caller ID when there are duplicate contact entries

Please Login to Remove!

It's difficult to summarize my problem in one liner - thus a the thread title may confuse some people.

Basically, I wanted to create a contact entry called "In case of Emergency" so that (knock on wood) something happens to me, people know who to call from my BB address book. However after I created such entry, whenever my wife calls (I put her number for the In Case of Emergency contact but I also have her name in the address book) her caller ID shows as "In Case of Emergency" instead of her name.

The question is if it's possible to make her name as the default caller ID so when she calls, it'll show her name?

Many thanks!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I don't know the answer to your question about the default caller ID name showing, but you may want to put the ICE entry in the Owner screen instead.

This way if the keyboard is locked on your device, and someone doesn't know how to unlock it or doesn't know the password they will see the ICE information on the locked screen.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wonder if the BlackBerry sorts alphabetically if it sees contacts with the same phone number. I haven't tested though.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
cameron.personal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7100t on T-Mo: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have always thought the ICE idea was crazy, I would like to have an entry for ICE that says, "Stop playing with my BlackBerry and GET ME TO A HOSPITAL NOW!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

I enter my ICE contacts in the note section of a contact named both "!! In Case of Emergency !!" (sort to top) and "In Case of Emergency" (alpha sort). By entering the data as a note it won't wreck havoc with caller id and there are names to go with the number when someone clicks on the contact.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
ShelW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggLBC View Post
I enter my ICE contacts in the note section of a contact named both "!! In Case of Emergency !!" (sort to top) and "In Case of Emergency" (alpha sort). By entering the data as a note it won't wreck havoc with caller id and there are names to go with the number when someone clicks on the contact.
So you're assuming that if someone finds your blackberry, and they happen to find it and play around with it before it locks, they'll click on all 100, 200, 300 contacts in your Contact database, and happen to see your note???

Simply enter your phone number on the owner screen, so that it displays when your device is locked. If an honest person finds it, they have a way to return it.

Hoping that, if there's an emergency, and you're lying on the ground unconscious, someone will take your phone of your body, and begin playing around with it searching for an emergency contact, seems highly unlikely!

Perhaps I'm missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time)
Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelW View Post
So you're assuming that if someone finds your blackberry, and they happen to find it and play around with it before it locks, they'll click on all 100, 200, 300 contacts in your Contact database, and happen to see your note???

Simply enter your phone number on the owner screen, so that it displays when your device is locked. If an honest person finds it, they have a way to return it.

Hoping that, if there's an emergency, and you're lying on the ground unconscious, someone will take your phone of your body, and begin playing around with it searching for an emergency contact, seems highly unlikely!

Perhaps I'm missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time)
You're not missing anything. The ICE thing is not really workable. It assumes that either EMS or hospital staff are familiar enough with all the cell phones to navigate to the address book and find the right entry.

It also assume that the cell phone is a) on you and b) intact.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
sc93
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

What I did was:

1-Make an In Case of Emergency memo in Memo Pad
2-Make a New Folder on the main screen: a-title it "In Case of Emergency Call" and b-have it the color red
3-I took and moved Memo Pad into that new folder
4-Made sure the red folder "In Case of Emergency Call" is one of the visible icons on my Zen theme

I dont use Memo Pad often so I dont mind putting it into a folder where I may have to click twice to find it.

I can only hope that if someone has a brain they would look into the memo pad icon, lol, and see the ICE
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
x14

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin1 View Post
The question is if it's possible to make her name as the default caller ID so when she calls, it'll show her name?
You can create the "In case of Emergency" entry in the address book and leave out the phone number. In the notes field say contact Mrs. Dolphin1 at....

Of course if you have a password on your BlackBerry no one is going to find this entry.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc

Back to the Original Post - I have the same issue.

I have my home phone number listed in my contact info as well as my wife's contact info. Whenever she calls me from home, it says that I'm calling myself. I hate that.

Is there any solution?

In my case, my name does come before hers alphabetically...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
x14

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
Back to the Original Post - I have the same issue.

I have my home phone number listed in my contact info as well as my wife's contact info. Whenever she calls me from home, it says that I'm calling myself. I hate that.

Is there any solution?

In my case, my name does come before hers alphabetically...
Create an entry called Home and let that be the only entry with your home number.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #12
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc

Well, I thought about removing the number from my contact. But I sometimes send people my .vcf address card from Outlook. Would like to have it in both places and specify a default for caller ID, but I don't think it's possible. Will probably just have to pick a single place for it.
Closed Thread