EdTurner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default I am a Newbie so this may be a STUPID question

Please Login to Remove!

sorry if it is...........

I had a chance to play with a storm for about two whole minutes yesterday. I found it very annoying that as I was writing an e-mail the BB was guessing the words for me.

Is this how all BB's operate?

Is that a feature that can be turned off?

Is it a great feature that if I buy the Storm I will come to love?

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Ween

Model: 9530

Were you using suretype with two letters on each key, or the full qwerty keyboard?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
EdTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Were you using suretype with two letters on each key, or the full qwerty keyboard?
It was two letters per key (reminder I have no clue about BB's at this point).
Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Ween

Model: 9530

That's the whole point of suretype. You can tell it to be multitap instead just like a regular cell phone, or you can switch to landscape and use a full qwerty keyboard. Really though, having never used suretype I hated it at first until I realized how to use it. Once I figured out its nothing like multitap, I was thrilled. I can type way faster using it than using the landscape keyboard. I think this has as much to do with the size of the buttons than anything else. The best part is that it learns. The words you use come up more often than the ones you don't. I could see how this could be even faster on the pearl where you can scroll down through the options presented to you and select very quickly. I can type whole sentences without it "guessing" the wrong word. It's very nice.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Welcome to the forums!

As Ween pointed out, The Strom gives you the ability to use the Blackberry SureType technology (best way to tell this: multiple letters on a single key on the keypad) or traditional Qwerty technology (a single letter, along with a number or a symbol on each key).

Thus far, the Storm is the only Blackberry that will allow you to choose between the two.

Other Blackberrys with the multiple-letter keys will be SureType, Primarily the 8100 and 8200 series) while most other Blackberry models will be Qwerty.

It took me about a week to get used to SureType, and I really don't have a strong preference either way, but you will find in if your read through some of the threds here that many have strong prefernces one way or the other.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
EdTurner

Thank you for the welcome and thanks to all of you for your replies. This is a fantastic board.

I had two pressure filled minutes with the phone (a number of people breathing down my neck to use it next) so I never flipped it over to see the Qwerty option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
Welcome to the forums!

As Ween pointed out, The Strom gives you the ability to use the Blackberry SureType technology (best way to tell this: multiple letters on a single key on the keypad) or traditional Qwerty technology (a single letter, along with a number or a symbol on each key).

Thus far, the Storm is the only Blackberry that will allow you to choose between the two.

Other Blackberrys with the multiple-letter keys will be SureType, Primarily the 8100 and 8200 series) while most other Blackberry models will be Qwerty.

It took me about a week to get used to SureType, and I really don't have a strong preference either way, but you will find in if your read through some of the threds here that many have strong prefernces one way or the other.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Alot of people actually prefer Suretype.
I have used both extensively, and with some practice, I'm just as fast on the Suretype as I am with a QWERTY.
Suretype is def faster one handed!
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Closed Thread