Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Lacornista
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Unhappy AppLoader Wizard keeps crashing when trying to install OS

Please Login to Remove!

I received a replacement 8830 that I wanted to update to what's in the unit I'm planning on returning (4.5.0.101). I used javaloader to wipe the new unit, but now AppLoader continues to give me the following error after it detects the USB and is searching the device:

AppName: loader.exe AppVer: 4.7.0.35 ModName: loader.exe
ModVer: 4.7.0.35 Offset: 000e2998

The error when using DM reads:
"A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

The battery has to be in the unit. When I leave it out, the USB connection sticks at "0" or "UNKNOWN," and AppLoader ends up giving me the error. I've spent 7 hours today dealing with this and I don't know what else to do.

I have the same problem when I try to use DM to do the installation.

I've gone through and deleted the vendor.xml files and the virtual ones. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled DM and the OS and deleted the Automatic Update feature. I had the same issue this weekend with the other 8830 unit that had an error 507, for which Verizon ordered this replacement unit for me. Unfortunately, I dont remember which of the million things I tried worked the last time. I just remember being exasperated, fruatrated, and surprised when I finally made it to the applications screen and could run the installation.

Any suggestions? I've reached a point of desperation. My original unit is running OK now, but I decided I might as well switch to the replacement unit...unless I can't get an OS back on it. Any help will be appreciated. I've Googled and searched the forums, but I can't get far enough into AppLoader to do anything. (Already been to "Nuked BlackBerry," "Run when BB device isn't detected," etc...all the greatest hits I could find.)

Thanks,
Linda

Last edited by Lacornista; 12-01-2008 at 10:59 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Try this: How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

And if not this: What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

And relax and take a deep breathe.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Lacornista

Thanks. I'm still having no luck. The wipe wth JL Commander was fine. I had aleady wiped it with javaloader.exe -usb wipe, but ran JL Commander now just to see.

I don't know why I keep getting an error in AppLoader. It's recognizing my BB's PIN when the battery is in, I click Next and then USB: UNKNOWN comes up and I click Next again. Then, almost immediately, I get the fatal error.

When I take the battery out and it connects without recognizing my BB, it goes directly to USB: UNKNOWN. Then I see "connecting to the device (ARM)...," and then "Read device system configuration." The error occurs at the next step, and Loader has to be shut down. I did this multiple times, without reboting my laptop between failures.

I have 4.5.0.101 loaded on my other BB. Do you think the OS could be the cause of the AppLoader crashes? Should I downgrade to an earlier 4.5 to get the connection to work? It worked with my other BB to load the OS after wiping it, so I'm figuring that's not the cause.

Thanks for your help.
Linda

Add'l info: I just tried to use both DM and Loader.exe on my original 8830 that's already set up, and both DM and Loader crashed with this device too. They used to work. I set this device up from the 507 error screen to completion. But they were also starting to crash yesterday with this device after everything had already been worked out, now that I think of it.

Last edited by Lacornista; 12-02-2008 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: Add'l info.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Lacornista

SOLUTION: After removing Desktop Manager and the OS, usng Add/Remove Programs, I went through my Registry and deleted all remnant BlackBerry, RIM, and Research in Motion entries. Reinstalled DM and OS, and all is well. Updated my new device with the Switch Device feature in DM and am packing the old device for return to Verizon. Hooray!
Closed Thread