BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
km9

Model: 5820
Default UK total newbie questions...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. I've just bought a Blackberry 5820 dirt cheap on Ebay and I just wanted to ask a few basic questions about it...

Would I be able to use the unit just as a phone / for sending & receiving SMS messages with a standard O2 UK pay-as-go sim card?

If so, could I also use it to connect to the internet to browse the web, check web email, online chat, etc, using the same sim card? (i.e. by using the standard GPRS service of the network provider (O2), without having to sign up for any special service?).

Apologies if these are fairly dumb questions but I don't really know anything about Blackberrys and have only bought this one a whim as it was so cheap.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Would I be able to use the unit just as a phone / for sending & receiving SMS messages with a standard O2 UK pay-as-go sim card?
Yes, and that is about ALL you would be able to do with it.

Quote:
If so, could I also use it to connect to the internet to browse the web, check web email, online chat, etc, using the same sim card? (i.e. by using the standard GPRS service of the network provider (O2), without having to sign up for any special service?).
Nope; the BlackBerry requires a special BlackBerry Data Service Plan in order to so anything other than voice/SMS. It is not the same as GPRS - it is an additional plan. You must sign up for the special BlackBerry Data Service plan.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
km9

Ok, thanks a lot for the quick and succinct answer.
Cheers.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
Amras_Ancalimon

Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Nope; the BlackBerry requires a special BlackBerry Data Service Plan in order to so anything other than voice/SMS. It is not the same as GPRS - it is an additional plan. You must sign up for the special BlackBerry Data Service plan.
Sorry for reviving an old post, but its relevant. I too have done exactly the same. Am I correct in saying that the Data Service Plan that you're referring to, is only avalable on "contract" as oppossed to PAYG ?
Closed Thread