BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Hbgreg

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Blackberry Bold 9000 Water damage?

Please Login to Remove!

I was in the shower, and someone texted me and I thought it was important, I tried to text back but the keyboard froze up and I couldn't do anything with the phone. It was sitting on the toilet seat and there appeared to be a brown smudge on the screen, I did a battery pull and turned it back on and the keyboard and mouse and the end call and call and menu buttons were not working like if I clicked the mouse it would write hjhj.
It's in rice right now, and I followed the faq putting it in a warm place, but the indicators do not show water damage..
Is the situation bad? Or could of it been a lot worse?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Blackberry Bold 9000 Water damage?

I expect that you know a key step is to not to try an power it up until you have absolutely allowed enough time for the device to dry out. That's when you will know. No one can really say how bad it is, and I doubt even anyone else who was there and saw the situation could say, really.

What did you do? Did you bring the BlackBerry into the shower? Or did you handle it with wet, dripping hands? What, exactly?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

For a wet BB, read this from our FAQ: BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Hbgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I expect that you know a key step is to not to try an power it up until you have absolutely allowed enough time for the device to dry out. That's when you will know. No one can really say how bad it is, and I doubt even anyone else who was there and saw the situation could say, really.

What did you do? Did you bring the BlackBerry into the shower? Or did you handle it with wet, dripping hands? What, exactly?

Handled it with wet dripping hands, and yeah I know not to turn it on, just I didn't know it had something to do with water, because usually I type with dripping hands and nothing happens, I just thought my blackberry froze. The indicator where the battery was, was white.
How long would it take to dry out? I'm going on vacation on saturday morning (6-7 am EST), and would at least like to check if it works friday night, and if it doesn't, open it up and try cleaning it out. Or is that not advised and should I just wait until Saturday Morning to check if it works?
I put it in the rice on top of a cable box on Thursday about 1 pm EST.

Last edited by Hbgreg; 08-05-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Did you read the FAQ article? It is all there - 4 to 5 days minimum.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I understand the temptation to test, but if there is still water present you risk doing more, and possibly fatal damage.

I personally do not have experience with liquid exposure. If it were me, I would follow the FAQ and even add a few days. I would also use a dessicant, such as silica gel. I suspect activated carbon would also be good. But dry rice obviously does the job if you wait long enough. I would not try taking the BlackBerry apart to dry it piece by piece, but that is me.

Key point: Allow plenty of time to dry. Don't get impatient. Testing could kill the BlackBerry if it isn't already ruined.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Hbgreg

Quote:
I understand the temptation to test, but if there is still water present you risk doing more, and possibly fatal damage.

I personally do not have experience with liquid exposure. If it were me, I would follow the FAQ and even add a few days. I would also use a dessicant, such as silica gel. I suspect activated carbon would also be good. But dry rice obviously does the job if you wait long enough. I would not try taking the BlackBerry apart to dry it piece by piece, but that is me.

Key point: Allow plenty of time to dry. Don't get impatient. Testing could kill the BlackBerry if it isn't already ruined.
Alright thank you, normally I wouldn't think about rushing it, but I'm going on vacation soon as I mentioned.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Hbgreg

Quote:

How would you suggest to use the activated carbon? Surround the blackberry in it like the dry rice? And should I have the dry rice and the carbon together or just the carbon? Thank you once again.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I did some reading since I posted above and I gather rice works very good as a dessicant. The negative is it is food, so it is ok for something like salt, which is an unfriendly environment to pests. It would also be ok in a temporary, sealed environment. You just would not want to use it long term where pests could get to it. Otherwise it performs good as a dessicant. I can't say silica gel or any other dessicant would be any better; or rather I don't know how much better. Knowing what I know now I would just go with rice without worry.

Your best information is that FAQ article, and take the drying time very seriously. You may, and I mean only may, speed things up with another dessicant, but I don't know by how much. The rule of thumb in the FAQ is good information.

Sorry I muddied the water.