BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default BES Express to my business Exchange?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...

From a technical standpoint, is it possible to hook BES [X] up to my company's exchange server using my normal account? I.E. w/o being an admin on the server and creating BESAdmin account and so on? I'd like to try it but the admin doesn't want to do any special setup for me.

It would just be for one account (mine). It seems like it uses regular "legal" API's to talk to Exchange so it seems like it would work with any created mailbox, so mine seemed as good as any.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Why would you want to run afoul of your company security policies and expose yourself to at least pissing off your IT dept, or at worst a fireable offence????
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #3
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Woah doggie

This is for a small side business I work with, and we are on good terms, and if I can run it w/o requiring any changes on the server side then the admin is fine with it. I would be the only user of it to test, and then if it works out they would likely buy more licenses and reinstall it w/ full admin privileges.

But thanks for looking out for me!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

You need to use an account that has sufficient admin priviliges to both Exchange and to your mailbox. You can try with your own account, but I doubt it wil work. There is no change to be made when using an admin account. It's the easiest way to do it. If the test is not sucessfull, the sys admin can just delete the BESAdmin account.

If you go through this section, you will see a large number of posts asking how to circumvent existing security policies. A lot of people on this site are professional admins, we get defensive when a new user comes in and asks how to do something when IT won't help/do it for them.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

No I completely understand. This is a case where I'm not trying to circumvent, just work with what he would allow me to do!

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
antoniuk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&t

You would have to get your IT department invloved. You need to set some local policy settings, exchange view only administrator settings, local admin rights, and send as permission in Active directory. There are more steps but the short of it is no
Old 12-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
tbdiscovery
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
A lot of people on this site are professional admins, we get defensive when a new user comes in and asks how to do something when IT won't help/do it for them.
I understand and agree with your position, but for those of us who have been using Blackberry for a long time and have to deal with some admins that are unmotivated and only allow the real goodies to work on their units and their close friends' units, it is frustrating. General rules aside, when you seek assistance from an admin in many medium-sized corps, you never know what you will get. If they are in a good mood, then they hook you up. If not, then you will have consistent trouble with the network or device.

As blackberry users who make handhelds a lifestyle, this process can be totally frustrating. For those admins that are fair and really give a damn, thank you again and again.
Closed Thread