BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Default Why aren't there more push services?

Please Login to Remove!

Besides weather and updates to the BB Help! page (and, obviously, email), RIM doesn't offer any additional push services. Why not? Wouldn't it be easy for RIM to provide push sports scores, news articles, traffic alerts, stock quotes (e.g., when a stock hits a certain level), etc.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

I agree that it would be nice to have more info pushed to the handheld, but it's possible RIM's software engineering department doesn't have the capacity to initialize/update these services. Leaving it to 3rd party companies to develop and advertise reduces their liability, obviously. I'd much rather they stick to perfecting the device software and functionality.

Some day we will have it all. ;)
Old 05-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Also possible that there are not that many users who have expressed such a need.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
FroogleThis

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Also possible that there are not that many users who have expressed such a need.
Good point. I'll search for that email address someone posted for sending Suggestions directly to RIM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Wishdemon

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yeah, I agree with above. Only recently has RIM become more mainstream and consumer based (especially with the Pearl and the Curve).

For years, RIM has been focused on the business/govt sector where it has done a fantastic job, IMO, by focusing on the crucial aspects (push email, reliability, etc) and left the "extras" to 3rd parties...

Give it a year or two and you'll see many similarities between the Q, the blacjack, and the sidekick with the blackberry in terms of consumer oriented material in RIM's effort to become more mainstream. I just hope RIM keeps a good keepup of its business models, because I truly dont need an mp3, a camera, and a movie recorder on my phone. I just want a reliable phone and my email and web browsing which they have had for a long time.

1 penny + 1 penny= my 2 cents
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroogleThis View Post
Good point. I'll search for that email address someone posted for sending Suggestions directly to RIM.
[email address]
Old 05-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
Wouldn't it be easy for RIM to provide push sports scores, news articles, traffic alerts, stock quotes (e.g., when a stock hits a certain level), etc.
That's hard to say without knowing the details behind setting them up, isn't it? Everything looks easy when you don't know what's involved.

I'm sure RIM is leaving it up to 3rd party developers though. There might be info on setting them up in RIM's knowledgebase. Why not look into filling the need if you're interested in more push services?

Last edited by takeshi; 05-16-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Closed Thread