Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)
Default 4.1 SP2 and LCS changes

Please Login to Remove!

So I really have to setup communicator web access server now and install stuff for the AJAX service? No way to get it functioning as before SP2?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...available.html

But to answer, no. Just install it as Windows Messenger. The documentation is VERY confusing, and their definitions of the environments is even moreso. If they want to define OCWA, they need to say as much rather than shortening it to Office Communicator.

After you upgrade, you'll want to upgrade the client as well. If you're using Wireless Application Delivery for this, it's quite simple. Just to give a rundown on my current environment:

- All LCS files stored in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\lcs
8 COD files, lcs.alx, PkgDBCache.xml, and specification.pkg
- lcs.alx has been modified to remove the <directory> value

To upgrade to the new version, move the 'lcs' folder from Applications to a backup spot (outside of this folder). Create a new 'lcs' folder in this spot. Open lcs.zip from your IM directory on the downloaded installation/upgrade files. Copy all of the COD files from the \lcs\4.0.0\Release\ directory to the lcs directory under Applications. Open up lcs.alx in notepad and search for '/directory' and remove 'For_4.0.0\Release' between the greater than and less than signs. Save the file. Go to BlackBerry Manager then select a user and choose Device Management and press the Update Status link - it will mark them for upgrade. You can alternatively keep the lcs.zip directory structure intact and do it that way (I just like keeping everything together).

Last edited by jibi; 09-15-2006 at 11:15 AM..
Old 09-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

awesome thanks. I even called tsupport and they said it was the only way now. Idiots.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion
awesome thanks. I even called tsupport and they said it was the only way now. Idiots.
If you install the Office Communicator portion, it will prompt you for an OWCA server. I installed both, per RIM, but I'll adopt your opinions of them as my own as well. I'm going to remove the OC portion until we put our OWCA server online. I honestly think this was rushed out of the door fairly quickly due to the OS 4.2 issues with previous versions. It just seems like some of their support were not even aware that this service pack was available, one referencing 'the upcoming 4.1.2 service pack' in one of my emails with them.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

i get server error 302 now from the enterprise messenger on the BB when trying to login to LCS. I did the install as windows messenger and am using the enterprise messenger off of SP2. for sign in name I use full email [email address] and for username I use domain\username. This has worked before this "upgrade".
Old 09-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Did you upgrade the LCS client as well?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
musy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: du

Check that you have the full FQDN for your LCS server or pool, plus check that the IM connector service is running as this doesnt start that often after restarts
Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Yes on new client and I don't have the IM connector service anymore. I thought it was something they got rid of for sp2 and just used the collaboration service? After sp2 do you still have the im connector service?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
musy

what happened is that on your service pack install you selected lcs with office communicator which is RIM speak for office communicator web access it then uninstalls the BB IM connector, you now cannot connect to LCS period

You may need re-install the BES to add the connector back and then service pack again selecting windows messenger or windows messenger and office communicator
Old 09-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

yes that's correct. I installed as office communicator first. realized here that I didn't need that so then reinstalled sp2 selecting messenger. Shouldn't the reinstall of sp2 had put the IM connector service back? Im hesitant to just install 4.1 and then sp2 as I don't want it to "downgrade" the database or mess with anything.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
musy

you would think so but its not the case, personally I cant see why they remove the connector in the first place, plus the confusion with the options its a receipe for disaster.

You will need to reinstall BES over your current install or uninstall first then re-install. There will a database version issue as sp2 does make DB changes. I suggest you test this first on a test box and test DB's as you will database errors when you re-install, so you can get fixes before you cause anymore drama with your production box
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

It seems like SP2 was really rushed and is complete trash. We have two test servers and as soon as we installed SP2, it broke everything. Internet wont work, LCS wont work and there are errors all over. We tried uninstalling SP2 and going back to SP1 and now there are just numerous issues. I'm really losing confidence in this product.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Logvin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbascfan
It seems like SP2 was really rushed and is complete trash. We have two test servers and as soon as we installed SP2, it broke everything. Internet wont work, LCS wont work and there are errors all over. We tried uninstalling SP2 and going back to SP1 and now there are just numerous issues. I'm really losing confidence in this product.
Sounds like user error.

If you are getting error 302, my experience has been that means it cant get to the OCWEB through the AJAX DLL. You most likely have a config issue with AJAX.

Verify that you have AJAX installed on your OCWEB server.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
adenhaan

Model: 8700
Carrier: carrier
Default 2 different handheld clients ?

In addition to the confusion about how BES interacts with LCS (If you choose "LCS/Office Communicator" it requires OCWA+AJAX, and if you choose "LCS/Windows Messenger" you can still use TLS/TCP, I also noticed there are 2 distinctly different handheld clients in the IM directory of SP2:
"lcs.zip" and "oc.zip" It seems that if you want things to be like they where in SP1, you need the lcs handheld client (1.1.17), and select "LCS/Windows Messenger" during SP2 install.

Does anyone have screenshots of the new "oc" handheld client ?

Last edited by adenhaan; 09-20-2006 at 03:44 PM..
Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musy
you would think so but its not the case, personally I cant see why they remove the connector in the first place, plus the confusion with the options its a receipe for disaster.

You will need to reinstall BES over your current install or uninstall first then re-install. There will a database version issue as sp2 does make DB changes. I suggest you test this first on a test box and test DB's as you will database errors when you re-install, so you can get fixes before you cause anymore drama with your production box

Just to state what I did that worked in case others need to do this:

As above I uninstalled my 4.1 sp2 installation that was missing the IM connector service. Removed registry keys and all. Saved the database of course. Then I reinstalled the 4.1.2 (package that is sp2 built into 4.1 already) this way I don't run into any issues with an sp2 DB and a 4.1 install. This worked perfectly and I'm up and running with lcs again.
Closed Thread