Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile & AT&T
Default eOffice review after 24 hours of usage

Please Login to Remove!

I went ahead and purchase a copy of eOffice. After using it for a little over 24 hours, I have to say I am a little disappointed. Here's my take on it:

1) Unable to save documents to dynoplex server for processing. Don't know why but it worked during the trial but stopped working after I paid for the one year registeration and yes...I did registered it on my BB. Still awaiting for Dynoplex to respond.

2) The eFile desktop hangs very frequently - something I didn't use during the trial. I had a Excel spreadsheet with Pivot table and everytime when I convert and transfer to BB, efile hangs. Even when it is not hanged, when opened in my BB, it says file is empty.

3) eWorks still require you to send emails via BB Mail. Not a huge deal but it doesn't send under eWorks as far as I know. From my experience it is really a way to format your email and attachments but the actual sending needs to be done in BB messenger.

4) File icons seems to be stucked in eWorks even after I deleted the files locally and remotely.

5) Very difficult to navigate within the applications and on eOffice, I can't seem to get to the top menu options.

Some of the above maybe just me not fully understanding how to work around eOffice but it seems the apps is a little unstable and not very user friendly and particularly for the price tag of US$200 for the professional version, you make the judgement!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Try a resync to get the icons in eWorks corrected.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks for verifying my suspicions about this product. It sounds too expensive and promises too much.
Out of curiousity, does the eSpell application work well?

EDIT: I see in another thread that coreyg really likes eOffice. I await his review before jumping to further conclusions.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 05-14-2006 at 04:13 PM..
Old 05-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
sergeyd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

I'll be happy to answer the questions about the usage - as to the technical issues, you should hear from support shortly. If not - send me a PM and I will find out what's up.

1. This is something the support will check out. May be a file issue, or something else.

2. This sounds like a file issue - we would like to check it further, some times we find issues in the conveter and usually fix them right away. If you can send us the file, it will be helpful.

3. eWorks does send it by itself, the copy is saved in the standard messenger for your reference - both eWorks and BB e-mail are synchronized.

4. That I did not quite understand - could you explain?

5. To get to the top menu, hold Alt and click the wheel. This works in all applications, also some times there is a Focus menu which kets you move to the toolbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRFGuy
I went ahead and purchase a copy of eOffice. After using it for a little over 24 hours, I have to say I am a little disappointed. Here's my take on it:

1) Unable to save documents to dynoplex server for processing. Don't know why but it worked during the trial but stopped working after I paid for the one year registeration and yes...I did registered it on my BB. Still awaiting for Dynoplex to respond.

2) The eFile desktop hangs very frequently - something I didn't use during the trial. I had a Excel spreadsheet with Pivot table and everytime when I convert and transfer to BB, efile hangs. Even when it is not hanged, when opened in my BB, it says file is empty.

3) eWorks still require you to send emails via BB Mail. Not a huge deal but it doesn't send under eWorks as far as I know. From my experience it is really a way to format your email and attachments but the actual sending needs to be done in BB messenger.

4) File icons seems to be stucked in eWorks even after I deleted the files locally and remotely.

5) Very difficult to navigate within the applications and on eOffice, I can't seem to get to the top menu options.

Some of the above maybe just me not fully understanding how to work around eOffice but it seems the apps is a little unstable and not very user friendly and particularly for the price tag of US$200 for the professional version, you make the judgement!
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 05-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
Thanks for verifying my suspicions about this product. It sounds too expensive and promises too much.
Out of curiousity, does the eSpell application work well?
Hi...eSpell works alright. It doesn't automatically check spelling like Outlook does. You have to select it via Click wheel, spell check and then send. Not a painful process but wish it is automated though.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyd
I'll be happy to answer the questions about the usage - as to the technical issues, you should hear from support shortly. If not - send me a PM and I will find out what's up.

1. This is something the support will check out. May be a file issue, or something else.

2. This sounds like a file issue - we would like to check it further, some times we find issues in the conveter and usually fix them right away. If you can send us the file, it will be helpful.

3. eWorks does send it by itself, the copy is saved in the standard messenger for your reference - both eWorks and BB e-mail are synchronized.

4. That I did not quite understand - could you explain?

5. To get to the top menu, hold Alt and click the wheel. This works in all applications, also some times there is a Focus menu which kets you move to the toolbar.
I did call in customer support and for some reason, some of the files were corrupted during installation. After re-installing, the attachments were able to email out to Dynoplex server. Unfortunately according to the Dynoplex support, the server is down so I am unable to get my files converted until Monday (2 days from now).

Also (5) above does not seem to work in eOffice but it work in other apps.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

bbCorrector is a free spelling application, but for a fee you can also get BBSpell, a very nice spelling application that will also give you thesaurus and dictionary usage. It also allows you to use spelling checks in other languages. Give it a look they have a free demo.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I use and like eSpell, all the other spell check software needs to send your email to an online server, eSpell does it all on the device. Not that I'm sending state secrets but the whole purpose of keeping email secure seems to be defeated if I have to send it to a third party server to be checked.

As for eOffice, I tried it but the bottom line is I wouldn't get enough use of it to justify the cost. I did find dynoplex quick to respond to my questions for tech support.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I use and like eSpell, all the other spell check software needs to send your email to an online server, eSpell does it all on the device. Not that I'm sending state secrets but the whole purpose of keeping email secure seems to be defeated if I have to send it to a third party server to be checked.

As for eOffice, I tried it but the bottom line is I wouldn't get enough use of it to justify the cost. I did find dynoplex quick to respond to my questions for tech support.

Regards-Michael G.
This is very useful to me - confirming that eSpell is device-based. I don't like the idea of sending off emails for a spell check: security, data transfer costs, time (when communication is slow) etc. eSpell sounds attractive.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok of the one week of usage, I experience at least four days of server outage on their server and thus they are unable to convert the files I sent. And on numerous occassion, the attachments do not get sent to their server for some reason even I get a pop up message saying it is being sent.

Customer service is not as good as some people claim too. They have not responded to my emails and when I call them, I typically wait for 20 or more minutes before connecting to someone who has a strong accent which makes it very difficult to understand at times. More to the point, my problem has not be solved!

All in all, I regret paying for the professional version.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRFGuy
Ok of the one week of usage, I experience at least four days of server outage on their server and thus they are unable to convert the files I sent. And on numerous occassion, the attachments do not get sent to their server for some reason even I get a pop up message saying it is being sent.

Customer service is not as good as some people claim too. They have not responded to my emails and when I call them, I typically wait for 20 or more minutes before connecting to someone who has a strong accent which makes it very difficult to understand at times. More to the point, my problem has not be solved!

All in all, I regret paying for the professional version.
DITTO on all the above. Wish I could get my money back.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #12
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: do not use

How much time did it take for their Support to answer you?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
sergeyd

TheRFGuy - what is your support ticket number? We usually track all the e-mails, so I will look into why you did not get response on e-mails and what is going on with your problem.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 05-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #14
keithp

Carrier: Vodafone

I want to keep a few spreadsheets on my 7100, such as business mileage log, etc and have been trying eCell. I want to be able to modify the version on my BB whilst out and about in the car and automatically sync the changes to the desktop. I may be missing something, but I can't get it to do this without some manual intervention. I'm running 4.1.08 desktop and 4.1 on the BB. Am I missing something or does sync not really mean "sync", but "copy changes".

Thanks for your help guys.

KP
Old 05-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #15
sergeyd

The eFile intellisync add-in the BB with an intermediate location on the PC. You can then use eFile Desktop to copy the file to any other location.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #16
keithp

Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks Sergey ... thats what I thought.

Keith
8100v
PIN: 2051A27C
Old 05-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #17
cooperpwc

I received a copy of eSpell and while I had a fair amount of difficulty getting it installed (support was helpful), now that it's working I quite like it. It's device-based for USA English which is great. (In fact, my attempts today to use the server-based spell check - for Canadian English - have so far failed.) I like the fact that it's integrated into the Messages menu. It's fast and fairly smart in recognising the correct spelling for words. So I recommend it.
One strange quirk is that alt-tab shows a new active application called Messages Handler. If I scroll to it, it crashes my Blackberry and I have to pull the battery and reboot. Not at all a problem - easy to avoid - but it's kind of wierd.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #18
cooperpwc

One last point: my email typing speed has definitely increased. Just knowing that a spell checker will clean up my errors means that I fly forward instead of regularly deleting backwards to fix a typo.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #19
jcalchi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

I am evaluating eOffice on my 7100i. I have found that the speed of this application so sluggish that it is completely unusable.

I am supprised that I have not seen any other complaints about this application's speed from other people. This leads me to think there's something wrong with the installation or my 7100i.

Is the processor on the 7100i just slower than the newer machines? I am upgrading to an 8100 soon, does this device have a faster processor that can handle eOffice better?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:44 AM   #20
sergeyd

7100 is certainly slower that 8700 or Pearl, however speed should be acceptable even on it. If you would like assistance with your installation, please contact our support, they work 24x7.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Closed Thread