BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
webberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: att
Default Do you need the "correct" Cingular SIM card to register on RIM network?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a remote BB user with a broken Blackberry. Can I use a different SIM to register a new device I have on hand on the RIM network by calling Cingular with the new IMEI and then activate the device with our BES without having the user send me their SIM card? I'd like to just use a SIM with a different phone number to get the device configured, then send the device without a SIM card and have them simply insert their existing SIM card when they receive it and have it work without any further activation required by the user.
Would this cause problems?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Ok...From what I understand and correct me if I am wrong, you want to use a "dummy SIM" to activate the phone on the BES and then have the user insert their "real SIM" and everything run without a glitch right?

If so, unfortunately not. Cingular will register the device IMEI and PIN on their network as well as the SIM. If you change the SIM on the users account, it cannot be changed back to the old SIM card they currently have. Cingular registers the device by using the SIM card and IMEI and PIN.

What you can do, If I am understanding you right, is have the user tell you the SIM number off the back of the card, and then call Cingular and have them change the IMEI and provision the account correctly (if not already done). Then follow the usual BES practices to get the phone up and running.

I think that was what you were asking, but it was a little confusing. Let me know if that helps.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
webberry

I do not plan on telling Cingular anything about a new SIM card. I do not want them to change the SIM card associated with the user's account.
I have a spare SIM card that is already registered with a different phone number that I want to use soley to get the Blackberry "online" so the device can get registered with RIM network and then activated with our BES.
I plan to send the device to the user without a SIM and have them just pop in their old SIM card and continue as normal.
Can this work?
They cannot send their old SIM card to me because it would waste time in the mail and they are now using the SIM in a spare voice-only phone while waiting for the new Blackberry.

Last edited by webberry; 07-07-2006 at 10:53 AM..
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Sorry, but I am pretty dense today (no sleep) , but I dont think what you want to do is possible. The spare sim is already registered on the blackberry network with a PIN #.

Unless I am mistaken in what you want to do... the only way to get the blackberry to register is to change the IMEI and PIN on the users account to the IMEI and PIN on the new device.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
webberry

That makes things really difficult. I would have to send the device to the user unregistered and then call Cingular register it after the user gets it in the mail and then have the user activate the device on their own.
The last device device got stuck in a permanent hourglass at 75% activation when the user tried to activate the unit at a remote site, so we wanted to send the devices pre-activated instead.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

You should be able to do it. I have switched SIM cards from one Cingular BB to another and was able to activate it without letting Cingular know. I would give it a try regardless. The worst thing that happens is it doesn't work.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
b52junebug
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

There will be no problems getting the device activated. Please.. the only issue that could ever come up is if you keep that sim in the device. Other than that it is fine. Activate away. I have done this on multiple occasions, and swapped out the sim after it was activated. Just make sure the user calls in after they get the new device to update their account with the correct SIM.

Sheesh...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
webberry

Default Original SIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52junebug
There will be no problems getting the device activated. Please.. the only issue that could ever come up is if you keep that sim in the device. Other than that it is fine. Activate away. I have done this on multiple occasions, and swapped out the sim after it was activated. Just make sure the user calls in after they get the new device to update their account with the correct SIM.

Sheesh...
Calls in to who? Why would they need to call in to anyone to update the SIM if they are putting their original SIM in to the new device?
Closed Thread