BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
jpresto

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular
Default Blackberry/BES not updating contacts (sporadically)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone – I have a two person office running SBS with BES running in a vmware session. Server is a dual quad core, 4 gigs, and only providing email services now – so not breaking a sweat.

The user is complaining that updates being made to contacts are sometimes not being saved. If I were to guess, it might be 2-3% of all modifications, if that. He makes a dozen updates a day and the issues aren’t that common. Unfortunately, I can’t determine there’s an issue until sometimes weeks later when he looks at the record.

Notes:
  • I couldn’t reproduce.
  • The issue also existed when we were on a hosted exchange solution for about 4 weeks.
  • His phone is an 8300. It was running an out of date software version which I updated recently.

At this point, I’m not sure where to start. All clocks are set properly.

One working theory is that he’s discarding changes rather than saving. I noticed on my 8800 that discard is the default, while save is the default on the 8310. Does anyone know what it is on the 8300?

Is there any sort of auditing that I can perform, either on Blackberry or Exchange? I’d love to be able to generate a report of what changes/additions/deletions are made to each record and when.

Thanks in advance- joe
Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Are all the updates made on the BB?

I know that in Domino/Notes world, the fields in the Address Book are greater in number than the fields on the BlackBerry address book, so some data will never synch/update. Are they basic fields losing changes (i.e. email address) or something more subject to field mappings?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
jpresto

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

I'm working under the assumption that all updates are made on the BB. He uses it even when it arms reach of his PC.

From what I understand - and this isn't 100% confidence - that it simply isn't taking the edits that he makes, such as adding text to a note. Nothing appears to be deleted.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

I think this one is user error, to be honest.

If the user is making all updates on the BB, and then those updates aren't there, then it is nothing to do with synching, OTA data or anything else. The user is claiming that his BB doesn't save data. Which, to be honest, I've only ever seen with a duff device or a duff user.

If you have a spare handheld, try him on that. If it still sporadically "loses" data, I'd say the issue it your user.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpresto View Post

One working theory is that he’s discarding changes rather than saving. I noticed on my 8800 that discard is the default, while save is the default on the 8310. Does anyone know what it is on the 8300?
Ok this is only on a simulator of an 8300, but the default seems to be "Save", "Discard" is buried on the "Full Menu" - "Close" menu, and even then you have to scroll to "Discard".
Closed Thread