BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default So now what?? (Multiple e-mail accounts on one BB)

Please Login to Remove!

I have a client who has particular needs that I am not sure how to address. First thing is first... they need multiple e-mail accounts on the BB device. I think this pretty much eliminates BES, right? So that leaves the Web Client and Redirector. Well, they don't want to wait 15min. for the poll so that just leaves the Redirector. Well, they don't want to have tons of PC's around just for that so I thought about VMware Workstation. Sounded like the perfect solution, right? WRONG!!! I can't get the damn thing to properly see the BB device to register it with the Redirector!!

Does anyone know a good solution for getting multiple accounts on one BB device without having to deal with the delay from the Web Client? Is there a way to get the Redirector to work properly with VMware? Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 AM   #2
Rancor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7730
Carrier: Zefr

LOL!
They sound like they should be talking to David Blaine if it's magic they are after.
Delays are still apart of life, even with a BES sometimes.

The 15 minute poll time on the Web Client only means the delay is usually up to 15 minutes and is dependant on when the e-mail is sent during that interval. So, in many cases the email can be on the BlackBerry within minutes of it being sent.

Of course you still have the desire for multiple e-mail addresses on the Blackberry, they are aware they can only send from one e-mail address?
If forwarding is allowed on their mail server a single account could be set up to catch all e-mails forwarded from the receiver e-mail addresses and then forwarded to the BlackBerry.

If you are only setting up one device there is no need for VM but for a few, why not? it should work.

When potential BlackBerry users talk this way, they generally do not fully understand the value BlackBerry e-mail, PIM and other Data services have to offer their business.
If 15 minutes is of a concern they should have a much greater appreciation of what a BES can do for them.

Cheap and nasty can be done with active sync and a mobile phone.
BlackBerry is for real performers!

Last edited by Rancor; 06-21-2005 at 03:01 AM..
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
Legros
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Telus/Bell/Rogers

Hello,

I had a similar request from a deputy minister and her driver... The idea was that the driver should have the calendar of the DM on his Blackberry. I never figure a way to get that working... But i'm very open to any suggestion.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancor
LOL!
They sound like they should be talking to David Blaine if it's magic they are after.
LMAO!!! Dude, you read my mind exactly. (Are you David?!?!) Anyway, they are extremely picky and I beat my head against the wall trying to explain the limitations of technology sometimes. I'm curious, do you happen to know what the polling interval is on a Treo device that checks via POP3 setup? Someone they know tried to talk them into that device. I had to open my big mouth and tell them how much I loved the BB Redirector though.

Anyway, the problem lies in that they have 3 different companies and they want to be able to send/receive through all 3 of them. I am currently doing it just fine between 2 using the redirector. The trick, of course, is that they don't want to spend a ton of money on a bunch of PC's sitting around just to run the redirector. So my idea was to use VMware Workstation. Afterall, the solution would require 3 "PC's" for each user in order to utilize the 3 different companies. Across 10 people, this is too much for physical PC's. The damn VMware will not properly detect the BB device though in order to register the PIN. (Why the hell RIM won't let you just ENTER this damn information is beyond me! What a pain in the ass!!)

My understanding of BES is that it associates the device with only one mailbox and that's it. Anything else requires the use of WebClient or Redirector. Am I correct in this? It sounds like my only solution is the WebClient unless there is a way to force feed the PIN to the Desktop Manager without having to plug the device into the USB port.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Pscobee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

TRIlight,

Did you ever figure out a solution?

I also have two companies and want to receive all email in one blackberry, but be able to send from two email accounts?

probably moving to BES with mailstreet....
Old 07-18-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

The best solution in my opinion is to use the redirector on two PC's. I do this for myself (Exchange server and PC at work and Exchange server and PC at home) and it works GREAT!

However, in the case of my client, they eventually decided to do it via the WebClient option. The biggest problem I have with it so far is that, even though I've set the WebClient to permanently delete the items when they are deleted on the BB, the damn thing seems to leave them sitting around! Eventually they run out of space and it stops forwarding mail. I have to log into the WebClient and delete stuff out. Rather annoying!! I reset it again and hopefully it will start behaving as it should.
Closed Thread