Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
cp-Mike
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How do I switch my OS?

Please Login to Remove!

I know this is a stupid question, but I've searched and I can't find the answers...

I just bought a Cingular 8800 on eBay and I want to put T-Mobile's OS on it (I'm a t-mo customer). I have Desktop Manager installed, and I downloaded and installed the OS from t-mobile on my computer, but...how do I get it on my Blackberry? When I plug in the blackberry, it says there are "new applications" and asks me if I want to install them. No, I don't want updated apps, I want the whole OS! How do I do it?

People keep saying "oh just download the new OS and load it on with BB desktop manager". Well I don't see an option for installing new OS. People also say to delete the Vendor.xml file prior to updating. Do I need to do this? I want my phone to assume as much t-mo identity as possible. I feel like I'm retarded for not understanding this, but could someone please tell me (or link me to a page that says) exactly step-by-step what to do?

Also, I'm still waiting for my unlock code. Should I wait and unlock my phone before installing the new OS? Or does it not matter?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The TMo OS will not change much related to giving your BB a TMo "flavor", for instance, the splash startup screen will not change. When you get the unlock code, your BB will read Tmobile as the service provider on the home screen.

Personally, if you do proceed with the TMo OS, I would wait until you get the unlock code, get it working, etc., then proceed.

Your DM is trying to load the new OS, as an update.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-02-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Old 05-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
cp-Mike

Yeah I know the startup screen won't change etc, but do I need to remove the vendor.xml file? Or is that only if I'm going to be using an OS different from my carrier (as opposed to who branded the device)?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, you need to delete the vendor.xml. It has to do with what carrier the BB is branded to, not what carrier you are using. I just always delete the vendor.xml, no matter what. It doesn't hurt anything.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The latest OS isn't from TMo (as of 5/2/07). It's from Rogers (they're all built by RIM for the 8800 so it doesn't matter which carrier releases it.) Here's the link for the latest:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ed-rogers.html
Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
cp-Mike

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
byronwind

Model: 7100g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: china mobile

Yes,The vendor.xml should be deleted or changed name.
Closed Thread