Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
jonty

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t mobile
Default Getting the most from your Pearl as an MP3 player

Please Login to Remove!

My wife got a Pearl recently and wanted to use the MP3 player capabilities. As we found out fairly quickly, the Pearl is somewhat lacking in power output and also has no volume control.

We were using a pair of Koss headphones picked up at Mall Wart, they were not only too quiet but they were also quite uncomfortable. Using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter from Verizon I bought allowed us to use any 3.5mm iPod headphones we wished to try, it also brought a volume control into the picture as one is built into the adapter.

Verizon adapter: Enter your location

After considerable time researching I found some headphones that were both reasonably priced and very efficient (ie, lots of sound for little power input).

Panasonic RP HJE50 canal phones turned out to be the optimum choice, low price, good sound, high efficiency and quite comfortable. These phones go in the ear like a very soft earplug, they are tiny, about the size as the tip of your little finger and come with three different sizes of tips to fit the ears.

Amazon.com: Panasonic High Quality Earbuds (RP-HJE50): Electronics

The only real problem now was that the Panasonic canal phones lacked deep bass.

Solution? Turn up the bass in the MP3s themselves.

First I used MP3Gain, a PC freeware which normalizes and sets all the song loudnesses nearly the same in batch mode. MP3Gain, unlike many normalizers, attempts to set the gain so that all the songs sound nearly equally loud to the human ear.

MP3Gain /

The nice thing about MP3Gain is that all changes it makes to volume are reversible without any losses at all in the sound quality of the file.

Next I use Wavosaur, a freeware audio editor for the PC

Wavosaur free audio editor with VST and ASIO support /

Along with Wavosaur I use two freeware VST plugins which Wavosaur accepts. The first plugin is Edge.dll, a subharmonic synthesizer module which generates deep bass by synthesizing subharmonics of low frequencies in the original tune.

KVR: Fat-Ass EDGE - Virtual Effect

Just a touch of subharmonic synthesis is needed and then only on a song to song basis, I leave Edge turned off most of the time. When used judiciously, the subharmonic synthesizer can produce bass that is just amazing coming from such tiny headphones.

The next plugin I use is 31BandEQ.dll, as the name implies it is a thirty one band equalizer.

Free VST plugins and effects: Uncut Plugins - 31 Band 1/3 Octave Master EQ (VST Effects)

With the equalizer I boost the bass frequencies by about 4 to 9 dB in the lower four to six ranges of the EQ to make up for the deficiencies in my wife's headphones. You can do this boosting as you listen to the headphones plugged into your soundcard because Wavosaur does real time processing of the signal, you can hear the processed signal while you tweak the EQ sliders and the subharmonic synthesizer settings.

You can also correct deficiencies in the mid and treble ranges, although my wife's headphones didn't require any EQ changes there since they were already quite flat to start with.

Once I have a setting on which some favorite tunes sound really good over the headphones, I then put Wavosaur in batch mode and convert a hundred or so tunes at one time in the background while I surf the tubes or whatever else I might have going at the time. Be aware that Wavosaur doesn't give you much indication that anything is happening in batch mode, it is best to open a window on the folder to which Wavosaur is outputting and keep an eye on the process that way.

Wavosaur only outputs .WAV files so I then need to convert the .WAV files to MP3's, I use the freeware CDex for this as it has a batch convert utility which allows the conversion to go on in the background, it also has a plethora of MP3 encoder settings, I just leave it on 128 kBps constant bitrate and high quality. If you really want to cram a lot of songs into your Pearl, then encode at 96 kBps or even 64 kBps with a slight loss of quality.

CDex /

While all this sounds like a lot of work, the results are worth it to the perfectionist, my MP3s play with deep bass and with plenty of volume on my wife's Blackberry Pearl, where before the tweaking and the 'phones upgrade they were thin and tinny sounding.

Finding and familiarizing myself with the programs was most of the work, once I had that figured out actually processing the files was an easy matter.

Most of the processing goes on in the background, as I type this CDex is working on converting file # 86 out of 134 back to MP3 format.

If anyone is interested in this process, I'd be happy to help. Either post here or send me an email and I'll do what I can.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You say no volume control? The +/- buttons on right side of device control the volume.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Kudou

Model: 8100r
PIN: :( Fido BBConnect is too expensive
Carrier: Fido

Yeah there is a volume control on the Pearl. Rather silly if they didn't put it in as well :p
Without headphones, its only available if your in the MP3 Player itself, but if you plug in headphones, you can push the +/- button on the top right of the pearl.

Also, I use the Pearl as a MP3 often (pretty much everyday) alsong with the headset that came with the Pearl. I don't see a need for a new headset, as the one i got is really amazing. Two earbuds plus the microphone on it. But if you weren't fortunate to get one like i did, i would reccomend you look for a headset that fits into the jack (that has a mic too) as its more convenient.

Also, download mediaPlayer. I preffer that app over the one built in. I love the dancing trackball lights too. :D

BTW, you also mentioned the lack of power output...what version of the OS are you running? WHen i put mine up it screams at me. lol. I actuallly have to turn it down. >_<
Oh yeah, don't worry about the pearl running low on batter cause of the MP3 player or anything. I left my pearl (headphones plugged in) on playing music overnight after i fell asleep....i woke up to find it still playing..but not even 1/4 of the power drained. But keep in mind, that with no screen display or phone calls.

Last edited by Kudou; 05-19-2007 at 10:49 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The 3rd party app mediaPlayer works well. I don't use the dancing trackball lights as they interfere with ColorPearl. With mediaPlayer and 4.2.1 OS you can listen to your music on your BT headset (mono only ) I don't have issues with volume either. I use the adapters from Seidio and some Sony Ericcson Walkman phone headsets.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
jonty

Default My wife's Pearl must be broken then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprime View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You say no volume control? The +/- buttons on right side of device control the volume.
The +/- buttons were the first thing we tried..

No effect whatsoever on the MP3 volume.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The volume keys should work fine in the OEM media player (they do for me.) In the mediaPlayer app from Dollars5 the volume keys DON'T work because RIM hasn't opened up the .api for that for 3rd party developers. But in the OEM media player you should have use of the volume keys even when the media app is playing in the background.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
kachooch

Carrier: t-mobile

just a question, what kind of memory card do you guys use?
whats the best card to get with the most amount of memory that is reasonably priced?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonty View Post
The +/- buttons were the first thing we tried..

No effect whatsoever on the MP3 volume.
I think your +/- buttons are broken, cause they do have a major effect on the volume.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
jonty

Default Memory card..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachooch View Post
just a question, what kind of memory card do you guys use?
whats the best card to get with the most amount of memory that is reasonably priced?

I got a Kingston 1 Gig micro SD card off eBay for $4.24 plus $9.99 shipping..

If you are going to bid on eBay I would recommend a sniping service. I've had good luck with Sniping4Free.com - Your free auction sniper for eBay (no registration required) , it doesn't even require registration and it's free.

Depending on what bitrate you use, it's possible to get 400 or more songs on the card. If you put too many files in one folder though it takes a long time to open the folder. The best way to go is multiple folders with maybe 50 songs per folder.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
jonty

Default It was used and a gift..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115 View Post
I think your +/- buttons are broken, cause they do have a major effect on the volume.
So we can't complain too much about the Pearl.

My wife loves it.

Personally I have no desire for a cell phone, too many people can reach me as it is already.
Closed Thread