Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
DayJob

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Profile Managing

Please Login to Remove!

I work with a team of people who have to switch off our blackberry about once a week to one another. The settings are never the way we each like them.

Is there anyway to do something like the windows desktop, where you can have different profiles and it changes the theme, sounds, and it would be nice if it changes some other information?

Information like in the CAL and Owner Name.

I like the profile scheduler i seen however it does not address my primary issue with the themes...
Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayJob View Post
I work with a team of people who have to switch off our blackberry about once a week to one another. The settings are never the way we each like them.

Is there anyway to do something like the windows desktop, where you can have different profiles and it changes the theme, sounds, and it would be nice if it changes some other information?

Information like in the CAL and Owner Name.

I like the profile scheduler i seen however it does not address my primary issue with the themes...
A Blackberry is supposed to be a personal device, used by a single person.

If people are sharing the Blackberry, then they shouldn't be treating it like a personal device. They should not be changing settings or having a need to have their own name as the owner name. The manager (you?) should setup the device and tell people not to mess with it.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
DayJob

Okay, thank you however, life and business is a little more complicated than this. We have a very logical need to change owner info since we travel all over and need to insure the name is displayed right (hopeing it to be returned). Also we have hundreds of BBs in each building and imagine having to hand it over for security and then having to shuffle around looking for someone elses name. Lastly the more important needs are with the settings as since we have to "live" on this phone for a week we like to adjust the setting to most comfortable.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
DayJob

Oh and we each have our own BBs but this one specifically has to be "passed". So hopefully the pre-answers the question of why we dont get our own.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Sorry, but what you're looking to do cannot be done. There aren't multiple "user accounts" on a BB.

At best, you could wipe the device after it's turned in and then reload everything you need. But that'd be a pain, I admit.

If everyone has their own BB, then what are the shared ones for? Surely, if they are for a specific purpose, people can live with not having them customized.

I'm also not sure why the owner information can't simply be set to "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx if found. When you call, report this as device #yyyy." The xxx-xxx-xxxx is a centralized phone number for the company (perhaps the IT department). Then, when the call comes in, you can match the yyyy reported by the caller with who has that device checked out.

Or, just have the person checking out the devices manually change the owner information each time.

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but you're trying to make a small single-user device into a multi-user one.
Closed Thread