Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
tsimpson

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Unite causes random BSOD

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I have had Unite running for almost a week, until I had to reboot the PC I have it installed on (gee must be Windows). Now all of a sudden, every time it boots, the PC Blue Screens!! It happens randomly, sometimes before I can login, sometimes after (so I know it is being caused by a service), I can set all of the BlackBerry Unite services to Manual start in Safe mode, reboot normally and that seems to fix the random BSOD's. And I can then start up all of the services I set to manual and they seem to run fine, and not cause a BSOD!

However, this is not a good fix, since I would rather the services restart automatically, in case the pc looses power, or reboots for any other reason (automatic updates got it last night).

So does anyone have any ideas on where to start with troubleshooting this? I would rather not have to blow Windows away and reinstall, esp since I have spent almost 40 hours total of my time troubleshooting this with no resolution in site.

And before anyone starts with the newbie troubleshooting crap, I have been dealing with computers almost 20 years (Novell CNE, Linux Certs out the butt, etc, so I need some more advanced debugging help).

I am getting a generic, which is why I hate Windows, "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP." error in the services log, and have looked at the dump file with the dumpchk tool and can see nothing out of the ordinary that says that Unite is causing the problem. Theonly thing that has changed on this pc in the past 6-8 months has been my installing Unite, and probably the automatic updates for Windows and the Antivirus.

I have turned on full kernel and memory dump for the pc, so that way when it does BSOD, I am trying to capture everything that was running at that time.

Does any one have ANY suggestions, or clues, before I rip the BB Unite crap out, and don't use it?

I would rather fix the problem and keep unite, since my wife and I are trying to keep our two blackberry's sync'd on calendars and contacts, but this problem is not worth it at this time.

Too bad BlackBerry doesn't put BES or Unite out to run on Linux (take a hint BlackBerry) , then I would at least have better troubleshooting tools available.

I am running Unite version 1.0.2
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

I used Unite for a while, but found it easier to just send invites as information to my wife.

-simpson

(Of course we are divorcing now, but I doubt that this was to blame)

-Young MC
Closed Thread