Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
tama2112
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Default Question Regarding T-Mobile Service vs. AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
Just recently, it was announced that T-Mobile is now in the Carolina's.. I'm in North Carolina and am thinking about trying them out.. My question is this:
With T-Mobile, do you have coverage everywhere an AT&T customer would? Do they have roaming agreements for all of their towers? Or is AT&T better all around?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

In my experience, TMobile does not have service everywhere that ATT does.

And in most areas, TMO and ATT don't have roaming agreements for the local footprint of your service area. For example only, if you were a TMo customer in Greensboro, and traveled within your home footprint, your phone will not roam to an available ATT signal.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
pbbjr

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile
Default T-Mobile vs. AT&T - Carolinas

My son is a freshman at Elon University, near Burlington. T-Mobile didn't work worth squat there for his Pearl or my Curve (basically "hourglass city" all the time). I had to take him off our contract and get him an AT&T Curve. No data plan because AT&T is a lot more expensive than T-Mobile, especially when you consider he went from being an "added phone" on our T-Mobile family plan to a single user on AT&T. I had our whole family on T-Mobile's unlimited family messaging plan at $9.99 per month. 1500 sms is costing me $14.95 per month for my son.

I would have kept him on T-Mobile if T-Mobile worked at Elon. It didn't. I can't speak to the rest of the Carolinas.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
CletusJones

Model: 8320
PIN: 24427bba
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have T-Mobile and absolutely hate their service. Whenever I'm in an AT&T coverage area I see "sos" where I should have my service bars and it seems that as time goes by I see this more and more. Just last week I was at a user conference for work and people all around me were using their AT&T devices while mine was relegated to my pocket due to no service.

I actually have EDGE in half of my 850 square foot condo and GPRS in the other half, it's really sad. I used to have EDGE everywhere but due to some network upgrades my service has gotten worse. Don't ask me how that works, I've been calling every week for 3 months now to no avail. All they can tell me is that I have to wait 120 days on my network tickets for resolution.

Anyway, if you don't have T-Mobile I wouldn't switch to them. Just about the only thing they've got going for them is that their service is inxepensive, I'd rather pay a higher price for better service.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusJones View Post
I have T-Mobile and absolutely hate their service. Whenever I'm in an AT&T coverage area I see "sos" where I should have my service bars and it seems that as time goes by I see this more and more. Just last week I was at a user conference for work and people all around me were using their AT&T devices while mine was relegated to my pocket due to no service.

I actually have EDGE in half of my 850 square foot condo and GPRS in the other half, it's really sad. I used to have EDGE everywhere but due to some network upgrades my service has gotten worse. Don't ask me how that works, I've been calling every week for 3 months now to no avail. All they can tell me is that I have to wait 120 days on my network tickets for resolution.

Anyway, if you don't have T-Mobile I wouldn't switch to them. Just about the only thing they've got going for them is that their service is inxepensive, I'd rather pay a higher price for better service.
I would recommend you to buy a router for a better reception in your condo.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
CletusJones

Model: 8320
PIN: 24427bba

Quote:
Originally Posted by shona67 View Post
I would recommend you to buy a router for a better reception in your condo.
I have one and can use UMA quite well but that doesn't help my wife with her pearl.
Closed Thread