Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US
Default Password Anomaly

Please Login to Remove!

I have searched both BBF and the web and cannot seem to find anyone with a similar issue...I am running .75 and connected to a BES and using BIS for personal e-mail. BES admin has a password policy in place and has for some time. Recently (2-3 weeks) I have been having problems when unlocking the device. After entering the password, I receive a "password incorrect" message. On the second and subsequent entries, I watch carefully as I enter the password to ensure I am not just being all thumbs. Most times I will get to the fourth attempt and then it will accept the password. It has taken as many as six attempts which gets my heart pumping because I do not want the unit to wipe.

My question is this...is this policy related or device related? Admittedly, my IS department is not the brightest but they are competent. I am just looking for the right path (Verizon or my IS) to go down. I appreciate any insight anyone may provide.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

for starters, make certain now that you have a complete backup of your data (which the BES will do as far as mail, contacts, etc., BUT also do a backup via Desktop Manager of your device.

Otherwise, for now, I would see if you can change your password to something much simpler to enter. Though you might not think it so, the problem likely does lie with your entering the password incorrectly.

Are you entering it Portrait in SureType, or in a landscape with full screen?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

I am willing to listen to all thoughts, even if I am at fault. I will back unit up today with DM. I always enter the password in landscape mode with the full keyboard. What makes this even more strange is this...I had no problems at first. As much as I hate the password policy, I understand the need. I tend to keep my passwords simple. I had been using "qwert" with no problems. When I started to see the problem (occurs at least once a day) and I read about issues with "reaching" across the center line of the screen, I changed the password to "qpwoei" to prevent reaching. This made no improvement. The only "upgrade" I have made was to .75 through Verizon. Because I rely on this unit for work, I have not been installing any beta's or playing with it at all. I am careful but who knows. I dread the thought of having to replace the unit but I do rely on it heavily for work and cannot lose everything to a wipe because it won't let me unlock.