Old 01-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
drewman75

Model: 9750
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vz
Default Multiple Apps changed to browser icon

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,
First post here, but frequent reader. I have a wierd issue to happened this morning to my BB Bold 9650. I searched here, other forums and the overall net and found some with the same issue, but no solutions. Hoping someone here has encountered it and can provide some help. When I looked at my BB this morning a ton of my application icons had changed to the browser icon (grid globe with yellow arrow around it). It seems like they are all related to Vz services. They still show the correct app name though. Anyone have any ideas? Granted it seems like a small, inconvenient asthetic issue. But what I am concerned about is if I somehow pulled down a virus on my BB or if I lost some sort of communication with maybe the data service at Vz. Here is a list of the apps showing the browser icon.

Vz Navigator
Visual Voice Mail
V Cast Videos
City ID
V Cast Music Rhapsody
V Cast Song ID
VZW Tones Deluxe
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Multiple Apps changed to browser icon

Blackberryxxx8217;s do not get viruses. I would call your carrier and ask . It sound like the carrier may have updated the Icons via their BIS system service books.

Another item, Verizon is not called vz. Less confusing to use the full carrier name.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

No virus. Agree with tsac.

Do a hard reset. If that doesn't correct the icons, then resend service books.

Hard reset = with power on, remove battery for at least 30 seconds.

How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
drewman75

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. Had already tried the reset and service book resend with no luck unfortunately. My concern with viruses was probably stated wrong. To my knowledge BBs using BES are vunerable to java malwares, although rather uncommon. Which is what my concern centered on. I didn't want something getting into the network through my BB.

Tsac, I actually worked for a Verizon entity in the past and it is common slang/abbrev internally to refer to the company as Vz. So it is just habit. But I will note your concern in future posts and use the full spelling.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Another idea..... Change the theme, then change it back.

Also, you aren't using a third-party theme, are you?

I'm wondering about the BES, just out of ignorance. I have no idea if that could even be a possible factor in your problem.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
drewman75

Thanks. I reset the theme to default and hadn't loaded any third party ones. Starting to think maybe it has something to do with my Verizon network connection since it seems to affect only icons related to those apps. Everything else is normal. I would have assumed the icons would not be service dependent, but maybe they are. Strange issue. I don't think it was any kind of push. My wife has a BB too and hers is fine. I'll probably run it by the Verizon Wireless store this afternoon and see what they say. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
alow

Model: 9650
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman75 View Post
Thanks. I reset the theme to default and hadn't loaded any third party ones. Starting to think maybe it has something to do with my Verizon network connection since it seems to affect only icons related to those apps. Everything else is normal. I would have assumed the icons would not be service dependent, but maybe they are. Strange issue. I don't think it was any kind of push. My wife has a BB too and hers is fine. I'll probably run it by the Verizon Wireless store this afternoon and see what they say. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
alow

Model: 9650
Carrier: verizon

I have same prob today. Also vw carrier. Service area is dc. Let me know if you found solution. Thanks
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

drewman, you could be right. Nearest thing in my experience is the icons for yahoo and windows live will sometimes change to the stock internet email icons, and then later change back. Not a complete change to another totally different class, but still a change. Sometimes I can force a change back to the custom icons by resending service books, and sometimes not.

Just for giggles, I would do another hard reset. But wait a good couple of minutes before replacing the battery. Sometimes the first or second hard reset doesn't fix things, while the third does, and also sometimes a longer wait before replacing the battery.

But your solution is really probably just going to be time for whatever it is to shake out.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I checked my wifes BB, on Verizon and nothing changed there. Wondering if your company made the change although I cannot see how they would change apps they do not control.
Interesting issue.
Closed Thread