Old 12-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
sahellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: Hole
Carrier: The New AT&T
Default Exchange server at a different location

Please Login to Remove!

I'm very much a n00b at all this BB admin stuff and have an issue. We have 5 total locations. 3 of the 5 have their own exchange server. (Houston, Chicago, Atlanta) Our BES is in Atlanta. We have a permanent VPN connection between all five locations using Cisco routers and firewalls linking all exchange servers together.We have 6 total users with 5 of them being here in Atlanta. I tried to activate the 6th user today who is in Chicago and I get the error message of Server not responding. I tried the plug the device (Pearl) directly into the server and assign device. I get this.

An error occurred while assigning the device to the user.
The use is not yet know to the BlackBerry Agent.
It can take several minutes for a newly added user to be fully initialized by the server before they can be provisioned. (16)

I actually added the user to the server on 12-14, but never sent the activation password until today. The user is in house and I figured it would be easier to activate him if I had the device in hand.

So here is my question finally. Do I have to do anything specific on the BES since his email account actually reside in Chicago and the BES is in Atlanta?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

1) I'm assuming that all servers are in the same domain

2) Have you setup the BESadmin account on the chicago exchange server with the correct permissions? It sounds like you havent and therefore this might be your issue

3) It's stronly recommended that you put your BES next to you Exchange server, and whilst you might survive with them remote for one user, if you put 50 chicago users on the Atlanta BES you might be in danger of breaking things..there's a lot of traffic between BES and exchange..

4) EA passwords expire after ?72hrs (IIRC) and therefore you really only want to EA if the user has the device and there account is live on the BES. If you're using a pearl then set the activation password to l or m as it's only one key press..
Old 12-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
sahellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: Hole
Carrier: The New AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett
1) I'm assuming that all servers are in the same domain

2) Have you setup the BESadmin account on the chicago exchange server with the correct permissions? It sounds like you havent and therefore this might be your issue

3) It's stronly recommended that you put your BES next to you Exchange server, and whilst you might survive with them remote for one user, if you put 50 chicago users on the Atlanta BES you might be in danger of breaking things..there's a lot of traffic between BES and exchange..

4) EA passwords expire after ?72hrs (IIRC) and therefore you really only want to EA if the user has the device and there account is live on the BES. If you're using a pearl then set the activation password to l or m as it's only one key press..

I'll take option 2 for $300 Alex.

That is what it was. We did not have the appropriate permissions on the Chicago exchange server.

Thanks for your help. and I will remember #3 when we finally get enough users.

Last edited by sahellis; 12-19-2006 at 02:35 PM..
Closed Thread