Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Grifter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers
Default MSDE Question

Please Login to Remove!

I'm performing a new BES installation. The issue that I have right now is that the server they want me to install it on is already running Windows Update Services with an existing MSDE. I'm not very familiar with MSDE but is it possible for the BES to be installed on the same server or are we going to need to use another piece of hardware?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
darkmark
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: o2

You should be able to use the same MSDE and it'll just create a new besmgt database on there. I'd just be wary of the bes install routine putting an older version on as the installers in general don't seem to be hugely intelligent (4 days to do a 4.1.2 upgrade on my 2 production servers as the installer didn't drop the databases properly and gave no error messages that made sense even to tsupport!)

If the box is a production one for other services you might be as well to ghost it first, just in case!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Grifter, do you already have a SQL server? I would host the BlackBerry Configuration database on the SQL server if I have one. MSDE is a little tedious as it does not have a GUI admin client like the SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Grifter
Thumbs Must Hurt

If I recall correctly, the BES installation will detect if there's an existing MSDE or SQL database installed. I think the last time that I saw this was when a co-worker was trying to do the install on another server. He was having some serious problems but I'm not sure if he was dealing with MSDE or SQL.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Grifter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname
Grifter, do you already have a SQL server? I would host the BlackBerry Configuration database on the SQL server if I have one. MSDE is a little tedious as it does not have a GUI admin client like the SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
I'm working with what I'm given here, mate. They want this to be installed on this machine that is already running an MSDE. I'd gladly put the database an a full SQL 2000 install but I'm working with what I've got here.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Grifter, how many BlackBerry users are you going to deploy? MSDE 2000, although is free, but there are many limitations which you should be aware of:

1. MSDE is limited to a maximum database size of 2 GB. It's important to note that the 2-GB limitation is per database not per instance.

2. There is work governor that throttles performance by stalling a user connection for a few milliseconds each time the connection requests a read or write operation on a database when there are more than 8 concurrent connections. Sharing BES with an existing application already using MSDE will contest for connections and may affected your BES performance.

3. Memory at least 2 GB. Multiple instance may or may not increase the memory usage, again may cause performance issue. Do not forget - Domino server is another memory pig.

You may like to consider upgrading your current MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express. There are many improvements and advantages.

See "Upgrading MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express" for more information.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Grifter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname
Grifter, how many BlackBerry users are you going to deploy? MSDE 2000, although is free, but there are many limitations which you should be aware of:

1. MSDE is limited to a maximum database size of 2 GB. It's important to note that the 2-GB limitation is per database not per instance.

2. There is work governor that throttles performance by stalling a user connection for a few milliseconds each time the connection requests a read or write operation on a database when there are more than 8 concurrent connections. Sharing BES with an existing application already using MSDE will contest for connections and may affected your BES performance.

3. Memory at least 2 GB. Multiple instance may or may not increase the memory usage, again may cause performance issue. Do not forget - Domino server is another memory pig.

You may like to consider upgrading your current MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express. There are many improvements and advantages.

See "Upgrading MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express" for more information.
Thanks for the information. I've advised that we don't use the suggested server for this installation. We're looking at another server now that doesn't have MSDE installed on it. It's a five user license installation. Thanks a lot for all of your help.
Closed Thread