BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
GhostFalconX

Default Running a Java App on Startup

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all! I need help on running a Java App on startup. I've read that I can do that through the JDE, but my app needs to be signed. Is there anyway I can run the app on startup without sending RIM my MIDlet to sign? This is because my MIDlet has a listening thread which listens for info from an MDS.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Unfortunately, not possible -- application must be signed.

It is a security violation to allow an application to startup automatically, without it being authorized by RIM.

As an interim stopgap, you can see if you can do a little server-side programming. For example, if there's a way to ping the BlackBerry, use that -- and try to connect from your custom-written server software to the BlackBerry. If it fails, that means the MDS app is not running on the BlackBerry -- automatically send an email to the BlackBerry user to tell him to launch the MDS app.

That would only be possible, if there was a way to write server software that could somehow ping your BlackBerry, or determine the connection status between your BlackBerry and the MDS server (i.e. active connection between BlackBerry and your BES).

This would represent your best workaround if you absolutely wanted to avoid RIM involvement;
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
GhostFalconX

Thanks for the idea! Really, you should consider writing a Developer's Guide!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Glad you like my idea. I am an experienced programmer (Almost 20 years of computer programming experience), but I am still new to BlackBerry programming.

If you use my idea, I suggest these limits: To prevent unnecessary notification emails, only send the "Please run the app" notification email if these conditions happen:
  1. The BlackBerry is currently active -- connected to BES or pingable. (Makes sure not to send email if the Blackberry is merely simply out of coverage)
  2. No response occurs when you try to make an MDS connection from your server to the BlackBerry. (Determines that it is necessary to send the email)
  3. The above two conditions has been true for at least 10 minutes. (Prevents false alarms, for intermittent temporary loss of reception)
  4. You didn't send an email message in the last X hours or last X days. (Prevent overloading Inbox with continuous emails)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-13-2004, 01:17 AM   #5
GhostFalconX

Thanks again! :D
Old 05-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Adikari
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFalconX
Hi all! I need help on running a Java App on startup. I've read that I can do that through the JDE, but my app needs to be signed. Is there anyway I can run the app on startup without sending RIM my MIDlet to sign? This is because my MIDlet has a listening thread which listens for info from an MDS.

Thanks!
Could some one clarify if there is a prohibition on RIM signing if the MIDlet uses threading? The above post seems to indicate that the reason for not signing MIDlet is because "MIDlet has a listening thread which listens for info from an MDS."

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Adikari
Old 05-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adikari
Could some one clarify if there is a prohibition on RIM signing if the MIDlet uses threading? The above post seems to indicate that the reason for not signing MIDlet is because "MIDlet has a listening thread which listens for info from an MDS."

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Adikari
RIM doesn't care what you do, really. You never "submit" your application, you just request a key by submitting a password. You could (theoretically) delete all contacts, emails, and things like that. The $100 fee to be able to sign your code is just to prevent skript kiddies from doing this kind of thing.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:46 AM   #8
Adikari
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Default System Module vs System module

Hi:

Under the "Application" tab of project properties in Blackberry JDE there are two options named "System module" and "Auto-run on startup."

I want to know how these two options are different. JDE help menu gives the following explanation for the "System module" option:

"Select this option to run the application in the background, without displaying an icon on the handheld Home screen."

If the icon for the application is not displayed on the handheld screen how will the app be started? Or does it mean the same thing as "Auto-run on startup."

Can some one please clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Adikari
Old 05-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
javicc

Model: 7780

Also, if somebody answers to the previous reply, could please explain if it is enough to check these checkboxes in order to make the application really start on device startup. Even although it is necesary to sign the application (by "signing" I understand to pay $100 to get the password).

Also I have seen in the API the flags FLAG_AUTO_RESTART, FLAGS_SYSTEM and FLAG_AUTO_RESTART of the ApplicationDescriptor class, which I suppose are related to the mentioned checkboxes...

Thank you very much,
Javier.
Closed Thread