Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Post Blackberry - V - Nokia N95

Please Login to Remove!

Morning guys

I am looking for some feedback please?

I currently use a Blackberry 8700 and am due a free upgrade now! I talked with vodafone and was undecided between the Nokia N95, which a freind has and tells me it is "Awesome" and a new Blackberry.

I opted for the Blackberry 8800, but was quite dissapointed when it arrived, as I was looking to see some more exciting stuff onboard. (Camera, New Themes, etc) I am not that confident with how to upload new software onto the device so i am concerned about just having the same functionality as before!

The email feature is fantastic and arrives several minutes before my work PC - I just want a device to do more for me! Should i stick with the Blackberry and if so which model? or do I change to the N95 which appears to offer much more?

Any feedback welcome.

Regards
Eddie
Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Battery life with the N95 is a huge concern. I have one sitting next to me, idle and unused for months. The reason: my Blackberry Curve. Honestly, I love the Symbian S60 OS. It's stable, highly customizable, and very responsive. But for my needs a QWERTY keyboard, or at the very least SureType (like on the Blackberry Pearl) is a must. T9 on the Nokia N95 was fine for the occasional text or email message, but not for 20 - 40 a day. I need to keep in touch with the lake club I help run, a construction project, and my home. All from a job that restricts email to corporate only, no personal email. The Blackberry makes it way easier to keep in touch with all these different groups.

Having said that, if you want a multimedia powerhouse with a 5 MP camera built in, video capture capabilities, and a slider configuration, then by all means take a gander at the N95. In fact, Nokia is now supporting Exchange Server email on their high-end phones. They are about to release a new version of the N95 for AT&T's 3G network and another edition that has 8GB of internal storage for videos, music, pics, etc. And supposedly with a higher capacity battery.

I guess it comes down to communication vs. multimedia. I went for the multimedia capabilities of the N95, then realized I wanted the communication capabilities of a Blackberry way more than the multimedia of the Nokia. The "wowee" features of the N95 (built-in GPS, Wifi) were not important enough to overcome the difference in basic communications capabilities. And the battery life really hurt the N95. Some days I couln't get through the day without a recharge. With my BB 8300 I can go several days without a recharge if necessary. Maybe these soon-to-be-released versions of the N95 will overcome the poor battery life but for what's available now it's a major problem.

Last edited by rambo47; 09-02-2007 at 08:59 AM..
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Tracking

Thanks Rambo

I expected a raft of ardent BB users emploring me "Not to do it" and to stick with the Blackberry option!

I have a few days to make up my mind so maybe on seing the N95 I might not like the functionality! - Emails are a BIG part of my day, i just wanted some fun also!

Regards
Old 09-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

First hand experience - the GPS mapping on the N95 is weak compared to a BB. I don't know *exactly* why (probably the underlying maps provider?) but on a motorbike ride with a friend who was GPS mapping our ride we couldn't be placed on a map road - just a star in the middle of nowhere on his device, no roads. We weren't out in BFE, we were within the greater SF Bay Area for sure. I had to whip out my Pearl and cross-reference to find our actual road location (didn't have my GPS puck with me) in Google Maps.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Tracking

I have until tomorrow to make my choice on this - Does anyone else have opinion on why i should stick with the Blackberry???
Old 09-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
tony@sirfox.plus.com

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2

Hi Tracking,

I think Rambo said it all. All i would add is that Vodafone are soon selling the 8310 which has the same Curve beauty but with GPS plus navigation free for 1 year. Maybe you could upgrade to that. You dont seem concerned about the wifi function, and the 8310 has a 2mb camera, so why not give that ago! I know i would :D If its true that you use the email function alot, then i have a feelign you would regret the Nokia in the medium term.

On the other hand 02 do an unlimited data package for a very reasonable price, unlike Voda, which is the main reason i went with 02 (via Carphone Wharehouse). On the other hand 02 dont do the 8310.

Whatever you do God Bless.

Tony.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Tracking

Just visited the Crackberry site and listening to the comment and seeing that there are ways to serioulsy customise your BB! - I am having 2nd thoughts about sending back my new 8800 and changing it for the N95.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
First hand experience - the GPS mapping on the N95 is weak compared to a BB. I don't know *exactly* why (probably the underlying maps provider?) but on a motorbike ride with a friend who was GPS mapping our ride we couldn't be placed on a map road - just a star in the middle of nowhere on his device, no roads. We weren't out in BFE, we were within the greater SF Bay Area for sure. I had to whip out my Pearl and cross-reference to find our actual road location (didn't have my GPS puck with me) in Google Maps.
I second the sentiment that GPS is weak on the N95. Mine took forever to lock in here in norther NJ and in NYC. More than 6 minutes to update my location, and that's with the N95 seeing 4 satellites. I tried every screwy remedy I found on several Nokia forums but nothing helped. Meanwhile I could almost hear the battery life being sucked away.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
Tracking

After looking through the Crackberry site and the various comments on this "Blackberry Forum" (Are there any others worth looking at?) I have made the decision to keep my New Blackberry 8800 and not change it for the Nokia N95.

All i need is some assistance in customising my BB8800 so that i can personalise it to my tastes and I believe i have made the right choice!

Where is the best place to look for "Themes" (I think i like the iphone theme) and also for realtones?

I am looking forward to being part of this enthusiastic community of Blackeberry lovers!

Many thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

A good start is our own Media Forum: http://www.blackberryforums.com/media-center/

Another site to look at, especially for ringtones is www.tuneusin.com
Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
Tracking

Thanks Rambo

I will take a look at the sites you mention and i must say this forum does have a very good feel about it!

Many thanks
Closed Thread