Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default HELP! - Email on 8310

Please Login to Remove!

I took delivery of an 8310 today . I've used a blackberry for many years - but only ones supplied by my company for corporate email. I've finally moved off Windows SmartPhone devices and onto a Blackberry for personal use!

The handset I have has Vodafone software and is locked to vodafone. Not a huge issue as I'm with Vodafone. However, I've encountered some issues setting up my gmail. In the instructions, it says that I should have a "Blackberry Internet Service Option" in the Setup Wizard (as well as a few other options). However, I only get the "Blackberry Enterprise Server" option and the "I want to skip email setup" option.

I've called to vodafone and spoken to someone who wasn't that knowledgeable and they said I need to register my gmail address on their website then I'll get and enterprise password and have to pay £15 a month for the privilege! That's £180 ($360) a year - on top of the data charges I'll also be paying!!

Is there anyway around this? If I could somehow enable the "Blackberry Internet Service Option", would that allow me to get my Blackberry to go direct to gmail instead of through vodafone?

Greatly appreciate any help. To be honest, if there's no other way, but to pay vodafone £180 a year, I'll send the phone back and stick with my old Windows phone!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You do have to pay for a Blackberry Data Plan in order to setup your email. Do you have a data plan?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
bogman

Thanks for your reply. I have a dataplan with Vodafone. I can access the internet from the browser etc. Is that what you mean?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
bogman

.....maybe just to clarify a little bit. I assume by a dataplan, you mean I am paying to access the internet? If so, yes - I get 120MB for £7 a month with vodafone (before June, I paid £2.50 a MB!!). As per my above note, I can access the internet fine using the Browser (and can actually access my email that way).

So, my question is whether there is anyway around the additional £15 a month Vodafone want to charge me just to access my gmail account?

Thanks,
D.
Closed Thread