Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Wisdomx13x

Model: NONE
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default New to world of BBs - Couple of Questions

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently a verizon customer with a non-blackberry phone. My 2 year contract expires in July, and I would like to upgrade to a berry. A couple of questions for you users in the know:

1.) If I am going to go with the Berry, and since verizon won't have the Bold for a while still....and since my 2 year contract is up with VZW...would you just jump ship to AT&T to get the Bold earlier? Or perhaps just stick with VZW and get the 8130?

2.) Yes, I know how to use the search funtion...but I have seen a multitude of different dates....so, if I was to switch carrier in July...will the Bold be out for AT&T?

3.) Aside from the earlier questions about regarding specific phones....if one was looking for a standard package (wireless...data...gps...wifi...mail..etcl) is one US carrier know for having the best BB plans? or are they all fairly similar but just carry different phones?

Thanks for helping out a newb.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

1, Stick with VZW and get the 8130 or 8330.

2, So say the rumors, but no one here has put $100,000 bet on it.

3, TMo has the best pricing on the BB Data Plan. You need to choose your carrier based on coverage of where you live work and travel.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If Verizon works for you and has the coverage you need, then why switch?

Makes no difference who has the best plan. the real issue is who has the best coverage when and where you need it - where you live, work, travel and play. Pick the carrier based on coverage and then on device and price.

Typically, Verizon and ATT have the best coverage, followed by Sprint and T-Mo. T-mo, as mentioned above, generally has the better rates.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Wisdomx13x

Well, my interest in possibly switching is not so much related to the services levels of the carriers (I live in St.Paul/Minneapolis area, so all of the major providers have adequate service)....but more related to the available phone options.

It wouldn't be a big deal for me to switch from VZW to ATT to get a better phone as my contract is about to expire...but if nobody feels that the Bold on ATT will be that much better than the 8130 on VZW then I guess I have my answer.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Wisdomx13x

any other opinions?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Kinda hard to say if it will be better or not, since none of us have actually seen the Bold. All we have so far ia rumor. My guess is the major difference between the Bold and 8130 is the new OS and BOLD is to have a QWERTY keypad. Since you are on Verizon, speed should not be much of a difference.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour

Whatever you do, stay with Verizon-far better coverage in the USA than useless AT & T plus if you get the BB 8830 it will work all over the world.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
palanilopez12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

i have had att verizon and am on sprint now...i am still with sprint because of the simply everything plan but my contract still ends in august so once all these new phones drop i can make a better decision...but like others were saying the speed on verizon is great and eventually most carriers will get the same phones sooner or later...sprint just got the curve although other carriers have had it for a while but it's here now...and suppossedly verizon is going to get the thunder exclusively so you can wait for that if you want or get the bold when that does drop...like everyone else said as well it's based on personal opinion...i have better coverage here in hawaii with sprint then i did with verizon and att...but that's just here
Old 06-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
Wisdomx13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by palanilopez12 View Post
i have had att verizon and am on sprint now...i am still with sprint because of the simply everything plan but my contract still ends in august so once all these new phones drop i can make a better decision...but like others were saying the speed on verizon is great and eventually most carriers will get the same phones sooner or later...sprint just got the curve although other carriers have had it for a while but it's here now...and suppossedly verizon is going to get the thunder exclusively so you can wait for that if you want or get the bold when that does drop...like everyone else said as well it's based on personal opinion...i have better coverage here in hawaii with sprint then i did with verizon and att...but that's just here
Well, I guess I am not too worried about the coverage by carrier as sprint, att, and verizon all get decent coverage in my area (minneapolis). I really have no loyalty to any one particular provider, and as I will be free from contract at the end of the month, just wondering if others see the bold as a phone that is worthwile trading providers for.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

1. Personally, I would (did) switch from Verizon Wireless. I don't keep up with VW policies but they crippled the GPS in the blackberry. Even if they enabled it by now, they still crippled the phone when it was released and that's the point. They pulled the same stunt with Bluetooth years ago which is why I voted with my money to go elsewhere. Prior to switching, I was using their service from when they were regional as Bell Atlantic.

2. If you read these forums, you'll see dates from mid-June to "delayed for months". I'm hoping the June 17th date is a winner and we'll see it in the business channel tomorrow. June 25th, and July 15th are also talked about dates.

3. I think Sprint offers an unlimited everything plan at somewhere around $100, so, that's probably the best deal; they seem to be last to get phones. T-Mobile is slowly rolling out 3G so getting a Bold unlocked won't get you high speed but the usually are the low cost leader and you can unlock a AT&T phone and use it on T-Mobile. AT&T and Verizon are pretty much the same in cost.

Regards-Michael G.
Closed Thread