greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
I guess the “Device Wars” have officially begun.

Samsung Instinct to Cost $199.99 After Rebate | PhoneNews.com

PRICEPOINT SET...

"How much? $250? I can get an iPhone 3G for $50 less... "

Do you guys think that this is part of EL JOBSO plan... to make seem every other device overpriced???
Sorry but because the iphone and some Samsung product cost $199, I can not see a trend!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #22
PPCMD
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A

Its funny how the price is $199 for 8GB but everyone keeps saying $199 as if that is the only price. You know most buyers will get the 16GB and the 8GB will go the way the 4GB went.

Next people are saying that the extra $10 for 3G data (required) the extra $10 for unlimited texting these per month costs are no big deal. So $20 x 24 =$480 + $299 = $779 so that is more than you paid for your iPhone a year ago? Was the texting plan different a year ago? Plus we don't have the final voice pricing.

You are paying more over the 2 years iPhone to iPHone since that is the ONLY comparison here. BB's are not an iPhone (thank god or RIM for that) and the iPhone certainly is NOT a BlackBerry. They are different and reach different audiences.

At least you can cut and past on a BB something you STILL can't do on an iPhone a year later and counting.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #23
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Voice prices are the regular voice plans. The Texting last year was 200 included in the base $20 plan, $10 add on for unlimited.
The $10 addition for data this year merely puts it in line with every other 3G data plan. Not sure why everyone thinks thats such a big deal. Add another $10 for Enterprise users.

They are more the same than you think, if they were different audiances you would not see RIM advertising on Network TV. They are in competition whether RIM fans want to acknowledge or not. The only way they would not be competing would be if RIM only sold to large corporations, but thats certainly not the case.

the bigger question is will the Bold's data remain at current prices?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #24
PPCMD

I see no reason for the data price to go up on the bold. AT&T didn't raise the prices on the 3G Moto Q9h when it was launched. I suspect ATT is raising the prices because a) they have to recoup the money somewhere for the cut in price, b) data plan is required while you can get a BB without data you just can't do email, BIS, BES, c) iPhone users consume so much data they are going to recoup costs for data upgrades and finally d) Because they CAN.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #25
palanilopez12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

i really hope that alot of the new phones that are going to be coming out are $199...but if the phone is really really worth it i have no problem paying $299 for it...and most of them do have the 30 day trial for it...at least i know sprint does so im not too worried about it
Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
djransom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMD View Post
I see no reason for the data price to go up on the bold. AT&T didn't raise the prices on the 3G Moto Q9h when it was launched. I suspect ATT is raising the prices because a) they have to recoup the money somewhere for the cut in price, b) data plan is required while you can get a BB without data you just can't do email, BIS, BES, c) iPhone users consume so much data they are going to recoup costs for data upgrades and finally d) Because they CAN.
They increased the price to align it with all of the smartphones that AT&T offers. It's funny watching how cats are complaining on forums about the price increase as if the price is completely new.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #27
Dawgfan

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

what is stated as true or known here is hilarious.

ask yourself why carriers want smartphones in everyones' hands. ask yourself where the money will be made over the next several years... It ain't voice.

It is in ALL the carriers best interest to take a quick hit on a device if they can get you accustomed to paying for a data plan.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #28
Dawgfan

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghBartender View Post
In the end the consumers who go out and buy these new cool phones will suffer either from poor software and or issues with these new cool phones. I have had almost every carrier and all different types of "COOL" new handsets but in the end im back to a BlackBerry.
RIM and Apple OS/software are as stable and impressive as I have seen in a moble phone... IMO of course.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #29
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

Of course the $199 price for the iPhone sets a marker in the industry. And it will be hard for any vendor to sell any phone for more than that to consumers, because it will inevitably provoke the comparison with the iPhone. How many times would one hear "gosh, for only 199 I can get an iPhone."

RIM and the carriers may still go with a higher price point due to their enterprise business, where they can ask for more and probably get it.

But if you want to play in the consumer space, 199 is the new ceiling.

I say this as a huge fan of both the BlackBerry and the iPhone; I think both serve their purposes very well. But do not let any biases towards the BB keep you from understanding what Apple has done with that price point.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #30
wildlemon747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

This post certainly has addressed many issues. My opinion is that RIM is centered around business and does not need to lower the price to compete with the iphone (a child's toy in a major enterprise). RIM has built up a monopoly over enterprise wide phones and is pretty much guaranteed a desire for its newest devices-the bold. Rim appealing to the private citizen market is just for laughs and giggles. They are not counting on the sales to non-business market but will certainly except them. The other major factor is that no other phone does what the blackberry can do. The iphone-what seems to be the competitor-its not comparable. They are meant for different things like the comparison between a mac and a windows machine. Might I also add, to make the iphone cheap, it is no longer metal and made out of plastic. At least RIM will not lessen the product just to make it cheaper.

To relate to the post I am guessing the price will be at least $299 with contract at launch.

Last edited by wildlemon747; 06-22-2008 at 07:11 PM..
Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #31
PPCMD

Just because Apple prices the US version of the iPhone @ $199 actually does not mean everyone should be compared or priced similarly. I am willing to pay what I feel the phone is worth to me. If its $399 and I feel its worth it I will pay for it, if not I will wait until it drops in a few months.

Everyone keeps saying $199, when the prices are $199 and $299 and we all know most of the iPhones sold will be 16GB so really people should be comparing it to $299 price point.
Closed Thread