Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #221
sidsub
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Interesting that Hanwei's market is also in the Boston area and he was in NYC when he had the roaming icon show up. Its beginning to look like whatever it is, is related to the Boston Market.
I am in Austin, Texas, and I have the same issue. Solid roaming indicator everywhere I go in town, but everything else is working great. I am not worried about it though since I know I can't actually be roaming around here. I figure it's a bug that will get fixed in due course.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #222
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

actually, it might not just be a market thing.. it seems that its happening on the VZW 7130 as well...

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=781056

hrmm.. i hope there is an update soon, as this is slightly annoying
Old 11-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #223
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyman
I just got off the phone with a Verizon Wireless CSR who told me that, even if I terminate my Earthlink Wireless contract, I would not be able to use an Earthlink BBY 7250 with Verizon Wireless because the device is "locked" and only Earthlink would be able to "unlock" it, that is, if they choose to do so.

Maybe I need a primer from someone here about what this means because logically, the same device that current uses leased Verizon network space should be able to be reprovisioned as a Verizon Wireless BBY...what am I not understanding? I paid for the BBY, so why should it be limited only to the Earthlink provisioning service if I no longer am a subscriber??? It almost sounds illegal...this "locking" scheme.
Is this your first cell phone?

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #224
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

quick update.. just got off the phone with a tech who seemed to know her stuff. for those of you who are getting the DATA CONNECTION REFUSED message after your phone switches in and out of the 1x, 1X, 1XEV, and after you have the EVDO allowance provisioned on your account, try doing this:

go to the phone, enter ##000000 and hit dial.

then, go down to where it says SIP Password, and type in "vzw" - exclude the quotations. save, and restart. let me know if you guys are still getting the data connection refused. the rep said that should fix things up. thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #225
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2218
go to the phone, enter ##000000 and hit dial.

then, go down to where it says SIP Password, and type in "vzw" - exclude the quotations. save, and restart. let me know if you guys are still getting the data connection refused. the rep said that should fix things up. thanks
Thanks for that extra information! I have updated my FAQ to include this little tidbit.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #226
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenemery
question on tethering: will the bb get power thru the usb cable or run entirely off bb battery?
Power goes through the USB cable. You're essentially charging your BlackBerry while you tether. During full blast downloads, charging might briefly slow or stop as the USB power (max 2.5 watts) gets continually reallocated between charging and downloading, but any tethering is also a charging connection.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #227
thegallier

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon

on the ##000000. I was also instructed to do this and verify that all 3 usernames were <phone number>@vzw3g.com. (They were not) and password vzw. Unfortunately after all these changes still same problem (data connection refused from time to time).
Old 11-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #228
WayneP

Model: 8830
Carrier: VERIZON

I just attempted to enable Broadband Access and they informed me this was only available to business customers. Is this true or should I pursue other directions?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #229
rinconmike

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

I just did the 7250 upgrade. I do not plan on using it tethered, I just wanted to do the upgrade.

According the VZW, there is nothing I need to change on the account (have the BB unlimited). I see the 1XEV and it works; however, I go the data connection refused too. I just turned wireless off and then on and it worked.

So is the VZW rep correct that there is nothing to add to the account? Also, this data conection refused thing (that I got on my 7130 once or twice too), sounds more like a system programing thing than the device.

Mike
Old 11-29-2005, 04:52 PM   #230
rinconmike

FYI, I just spoke with a data tech and he said that there is nothing to add other then BB unlimited if you are NOT using it as tethered.

With regard to the data connection refused, he said something about the towers being out of sync whne that happens. You can turn the wireless off then on and/or do another *228.

Mike
Old 11-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #231
MonkeyGrass

Model: 9600
Default Interesting

Ok guys, I've been following this discussion since the start. I've also called Verizon 3 times, gone into the store, and ran into customer service folks who seemed to a) not know anything about EVDO 2) knew something but said the 7250 is NOT EVDO capable 3) admit that it is EVDO capable but it's for B2B customers only right now 4) tell me that it appears as though I'm already set up to work with EVDO 5) that the full 4.1 upgrade is coming out in Jan and that's when personal clients get EVDO.

WOW! And I thought I got the "mushroom treatment" at my old job. These guys have no idea what's up! Seriously though, this update is supposed to be only for B2B customers right now. Those of you who are getting it are able to get a tech who knows "enough to be dangerous" but is not "in the loop" as far as this upgrade goes. I spoke in depth with a tech support guy who sympathized, but basically said "since I asked my supervisor what the deal is with this and now I know I'm not supposed to give it to you, I can't do it. It's my fault if I allow you to use buggy software and you have service problems. This update is not fully tested or supported by Verizon so I can't do anything to help you, except to say that a full 4.1 update will be released in Q1 next year for all 7250 owners."

So this tends to explain why so many ppl are having these data connection refused and roaming issues. Quite simply, we weren't supposed to get this update yet, and those that did, are now experiencing EXACTLY what Verizon was trying to prevent by only limiting this release to a certain number of business users.

Now, with all that said, I decide to login to my online account page and see what it had to say about the 7250 and EVDO. Well, get this!! I go to look at my device and it says

"Manufacturer: RIM Model: BlackBerry 7250 EVDO"

Hmmmm.... so let's go take a look at my services, shall we? Lo and behold, look at what is listed:

"Included Features BASIC VOICE MAIL TXT MSG
Caller ID No Answer/Transfer 3-Way Calling
CALL DELIVERY Call Waiting Call Forwarding NATL IN CALLING-UNLIM
UNLIMITED BLACKBERRY/EVDO"

Yes, look at that last line item "UNLIMITED BLACKBERRY/EVDO"

So now, I am wondering.. It appears as though my account is already set up to use EVDO. The device is listed EVDO, and my data plan is listed as BBU/EVDO. This was not the case last week before I left for Thanksgiving holiday out of town. So Verizon changed something in the last week, and I'm curious as to whether or not I should install the update files that I d/led last week. What do you guys think? Can anyone confirm for me that if I have those line items listed that I'm already set up to use EVDO? Can some of you guys that have EVDO check your online account page and see if it says the same thing? I'm concerned that if I do this, I will get screwed with "data connection refused" and not be able to use the BB. It's my business lifeline and I cannot afford to be down.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks, everyone. BTW I am in NC market.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #232
gatortone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yesterday, when I was driving from downtown Denver to my house, my BB was in Data Connection Refused for a long time. This happened about 5 times throughout the day yesterday and shutting it off and on and hard/soft resetting sometimes didn't work. Today, I updated my software to the VZW 4.0.2 from the Telus 4.0.2 version and I changed the SIP pwd to vzw. Question...when you go back into ##000000, should vzw appear or be invisible in the password field? Just curious, because I don't see "vzw" showing up. Hopefully, this will prevent the BB from going in and out of 1XEV. I'll keep an eye on it here on out and provide an update if the vzw does the trick. Hopefully, it does as this is quite annoying to have to turn the BB off and on or just wait for it to kick back in.

I was able to use the VZAccess successfully with the 7250, and it worked great. The internet was moving at broadband speeds, and I didn't have any issues at the time.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #233
VZWTech

Default Non-Official Information

As a Data Tech Support rep for VZW (speaking solely as an individual armed with some useful information, not officially as a VZW rep or spokesperson), allow me to clear up some (OK, a lot!) of the confusion on this issue. I've been watching the situation very closely since the announcement was made, and there are a lot of things that are not very clear.

As of right now, the Blackberry 7250 is not Broadband Access capable. There is an update, released by RIM (4.0.2) that enables Broadband Access on this device. This update is meant for people who have B2B accounts only. This will enable the device to become Broadband capable, but requires that Verizon enable the Broadband feature on your account. These features are currently only avaiable to those with business accounts, and are not available in the consumer channel yet.

The link to this upgrade, that many people have been clicking on, was given out only to those people with business accounts, and is not meant to be accessed by those with basic consumer accounts. Broadband Access in the consumer channel on this device should be available as early as next quarter, hopefully sometime in early spring. No official date (that I have heard) has been announced as of today.

Some people have had this work correctly (at least from what I read from posts on this forum), having VZW reps add broadband features on their accounts, while others have been told other information (ranging from the BB is not broadband capable at all, to this being available on December 1st for consumers). Again, as of right now, there is no official date on when this feature will become available in the consumer channel. Those with consumer accounts that have proceeded with the update, may (and probably will) run into a lot of problems, ranging from slow connection speeds, bouncing service, and 'Data Connection Refused' errors.

As someone who has worked with Blackberries for a very long time, and assisted customers with this very issue, I VERY STRONGLY recommend not performing the upgrade until an official announcement has been made. While the idea of having Broadband access on your Blackberry is very tempting, this will probably cause tons of headaches down the road.

I hope this post doesn't upset anyone, I simply wanted to let you know what information I know about this issue, and hopefully clear up some confusion (maybe save myself a phone call or two!). As always, you are certainly welcome to call Verizon Wireless Data Tech Support (1-866-788-9387, enter MTN, Option 2, Option 2, Option 2) for an official word or update on this matter. Any of the representatives will be able to assist you with information regarding this issue.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #234
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZWTech
As a Data Tech Support rep for VZW (speaking solely as an individual armed with some useful information, not officially as a VZW rep or spokesperson), allow me to clear up some (OK, a lot!) of the confusion on this issue. I've been watching the situation very closely since the announcement was made, and there are a lot of things that are not very clear.
Very interesting, thanks for the informative insight.

If this information is accurate, it looks like "the cat got out of the bag" so to speak; and consumers were able to take advantage of it.

The moral of the story, would appear, that if you are a consumer -- Adding EVDO to a BlackBerry 7250 as a consumer would be an "AT YOUR OWN RISK". Essentially an unsupported and unofficial feature until an announcement is made.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:58 PM   #235
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default your response is well, typical verizon

After reading your response, I do not doubt that you work for Verizon.. However, I have spoken to several Verizon reps (including our business contact) and they have said that they are aware of the miscommunication, but that it is available for everyone.. consumers and businesses, BUT, that at this time, they are only notifying select businesses..

with respect to your remarks about how being a consumer would someone cause data connection refused, etc, I just spoke with my rep on that.. he finds your remark funny and wonders if you're level 1 tech (he said it not me)..

of course, I have the special business 7250, that is a slightly different color black

about the only thing I agree with you on is wait for the "official" word, but knowing Verizon, that really means.. well.. you know..

EDIT: wanted to point out / clarify that I am not intentionally poking fun at vzwtech, I find his response humerous and would like to repeat what I've said previously on this (which is in harmony with mark's remarks), that I feel this issue is definitely market based and well.. typical verizon , so no offense to vzwtech, more on the disparate communications which still seem prevalent within the broader verizon wireless company..

Last edited by tomryan; 11-29-2005 at 08:14 PM..
Old 11-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #236
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
about the only thing I agree with you on is wait for the "official" word, but knowing Verizon, that really means.. well.. you know..
Please take it easy on VZWTech. We do not know exactly who is right.

There is a lot of confusion regarding this unannounced feature that slipstreamed onto the Verizon network. Different parts of Verizon have different "official" words -- equally official sounding -- And there does not yet appear to be a national public press release clarifying the availability of this feature.

Until then, I am assuming that different parts of Verizon is operating under different rules at the moment -- Verizon is essentially a baby bell and a glued-together organization of many fragmented businesses. Remember that Bell got broken up in the early 1980's, and when the baby bells expanded nationally, a lot of baby bells bought different companies, merged, and consolidated, as well as other convoluted bureaucracy still found today in a baby bell. Different billing systems in different states. Different training procedures for different billing systems. Different rules. As we witnessed, certain feature codes only work in certain states.

It is important to be nice to visiting carrier techs around BlackBerryForums; complaints should not be sent to them -- Carrier technicians who post here are not on their job -- please call Verizon directly instead for technical support.

In the meantime, a lot of power users are finding that BroadbandAccess is working fine on their BlackBerry. Do so at your own risk.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-29-2005 at 08:09 PM..
Old 11-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #237
VZWTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
After reading your response, I do not doubt that you work for Verizon..
LOL, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. There has been a lot of miscommunication on this issue, which was one of the big reasons I wanted to post with the information that I knew.

I'm really Tier 2 1/2 (if that is possible), so I get a lot of the calls where people have gotten some strange information from other reps. (No offense taken by the comment, btw ).

The 'Data Connection Refused' has been a problem with consumer channel people installing this upgrade and having incorrect features placed on the account (I know, I fixed 2 of them today). The correct features are not avaialble yet to be placed on the consumer accounts (again, from what I have been told), and it gives them an incorrect signal, thus throwing a wrench in the gears and causing some issues. The only fix I had for this was to roll back to the 4.0 firmware and remove the features from the account. After that, it was smooth (but not broadband smooth ) sailing.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #238
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

To all users.

The FAQ went through about 8 different versions -- trying to put together as much as accurate information as possible from other successful users. I modified the FAQ to help improve the chances of a successful activation, however, it is NOT 100% successful.

It is turning out, the FAQ is an "at your own risk" endeavour.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #239
rinconmike

I have both the 7130 and the 7250 and on both I get the data connection refused issue. Not often (once on each in the last two days on each).

Last edited by rinconmike; 11-29-2005 at 08:43 PM..
Old 11-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #240
MonkeyGrass

Model: 9600

VZWTech,

Any ideas on why my account shows those 2 EVDO listings? I find it strange that my 7250 is listed as an "EVDO Device" and my BlackBerry Unlimited plan has an /EVDO designation as well. That would seem to indicate that my plan is, in fact, set up as an EVDO capable plan. It may be worth trying to install the 4.0.2 firmware to see what happens, I guess... I mean, worst case, I can always roll back to the 4.0 software, right?

Thanks for posting. We really do appreciate you stepping up and trying to "clear the air". You have pretty much validated the information that I've gathered from several different sources regarding this update. Also, any word on whether that Q1 2006 (jan) release date is for real? I'm especially curious because I am still in my initial trial period with VZW and I need to find out one way or another if EVDO is going to be supported "officially" on the 7250, or if I need to look into another BB device or carrier before I am committed for the next 2 years!!
Closed Thread