Old 02-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #221
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
Not sure. If it's the same as the vertical, no.

I put my 8700 screen facing in into my vertical 100% of the time and the magnet always works. The magnet is on the back part of the case. They place a little sticker showing you its exact location.
I just called Fortte on the phone and they confirmed the location of the magnet in all their 8700 cases is on the belt side of the case. Their recommendation is to place the unit in the case with the screen facing out. Due to variation in magnet strength some cases will support the sleeper function when the 8700 is placed face in.

They can not specify a stronger magnet due to RIM specifications for magnet strength. Apparently if the magnet is too strong it will wreak havoc on the unit.

I guess I have to make some compromise, or just wait for a case to arrive that meets the "musts" on my list.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #222
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
There really aren't many choices when it comes to horizontal cases.

The only one which comes to mind that fits your criteria (the sleeper magnet is the tough one) is the Fortte Horizontal.
What about the Krusell PDA XS case (with the storage for media cards). I could buy a small Nd magnet to place in the media storage space to sleep the blackberry.

Anyone tried this yet?

BTW, This forum is great!! Saving me lots of trial/error (usually more error than trial).
Old 02-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #223
DocGo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro451
What about the Krusell PDA XS case (with the storage for media cards). I could buy a small Nd magnet to place in the media storage space to sleep the blackberry.

Anyone tried this yet?

BTW, This forum is great!! Saving me lots of trial/error (usually more error than trial).
I have tried this case and it doesn't fit the BB very well. I cannot close the flap on the case when the bb is in (too tight). It may just be that particular case I got was too tight, but the only thing I can fit well in it is my old 4th generation 20gb Ipod.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #224
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
I just called Fortte on the phone and they confirmed the location of the magnet in all their 8700 cases is on the belt side of the case. Their recommendation is to place the unit in the case with the screen facing out. Due to variation in magnet strength some cases will support the sleeper function when the 8700 is placed face in.

They can not specify a stronger magnet due to RIM specifications for magnet strength. Apparently if the magnet is too strong it will wreak havoc on the unit.

I guess I have to make some compromise, or just wait for a case to arrive that meets the "musts" on my list.
I don't quite understand that.

It does confirm what I said, the magnet is on the back part of the case but why would they want you to place the device screen out? Isn't the magent on the Blackberry itself on the screen side? So placing it in the case screen in would create better contact.

The magnet on the OEM holster (the one that comes with the unit) is on the back side and you place the device screen in with that..................
Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #225
lgreenberg

Quote:

Anyone tried this yet?

That would work too. I like Krusell cases a lot. I didn't suggest it because it doesn't have the magnet built in, which is what I thought you wanted.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #226
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

It does confirm what I said, the magnet is on the back part of the case but why would they want you to place the device screen out? Isn't the magent on the Blackberry itself on the screen side? So placing it in the case screen in would create better contact.

The magnet on the OEM holster (the one that comes with the unit) is on the back side and you place the device screen in with that..................
Hard for me to comment since I don't actually have my 'berry yet. Nor have I ever owned a 'berry device. I am just repeating the explanation from the rep at Fortte. I think I would have jumped on the Fortte horizontal case if the rep confirmed it would work screen-in.

Anyone have one working 100% screen-in that they want to sell to me?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #227
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGo
I have tried this case and it doesn't fit the BB very well. I cannot close the flap on the case when the bb is in (too tight). It may just be that particular case I got was too tight, but the only thing I can fit well in it is my old 4th generation 20gb Ipod.
The 8700c is 4.3 x 2.7 x 0.77 inches.

This case is 4.13 x 2.76 x 0.59 inches inside.

Looks like the Krusell Small PDA case might fit better.

It's 4.60 x 2.95 x 0.79 inches inside.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #228
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The 8700c is 4.3 x 2.7 x 0.77 inches.
This case is 4.13 x 2.76 x 0.59 inches inside.
Looks like the Krusell Small PDA case might fit better.
It's 4.60 x 2.95 x 0.79 inches inside.
Great observation. Funny how this is the Krusell case recommended by several sites, including Krusell's web page.

Oh well, saved another $40 by reading here first! Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #229
mortgageguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:

It all depends on the placement of the magnet relative to the area on the blackberry not relative to the side of the case. The magnet in the case can be next to the belt on the inside of the case or on the outside of the case. But where it is positioned exactly will determine if the BB can face in or out. The magnet areas to enable sleep mode are reversed on the BB from front to back when you put it in the case. You could have two magnets next to the belt side of the case in two different areas and have the BB put to sleep whether it was facing in or out.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #230
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
The only thing I dislike about the Vaja case is the idea of having to snap/unsnap for use. I am expecting my Sena case to be here mext week, and since it has the magnet closure I think I will like it more, but I will review it when it arrives.
Not sure what this means exactly but if you look here:
http://www.vajacases.com/Vaja/catalo...$file/main.jpg

The RI051 supposedly has a "magnetic snap closure".
Old 02-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #231
campsean
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

I ordered an 8700c case from Gizmoskin.com on Feb 6th and I haven't received the case in the mail yet. Am wondering how long did it take in between placing your order and receiving the product?

I know the product ships from Canada, and it may a few extra days than normal to ship to the USA. But - its Feb 23nd now - means 17 days has gone by and nothing.. that's not normal? Is it because the company is waiting until the case has been completely redesigned before it's ships out?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 02-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #232
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

My case from them took almost three weeks. Email Gizmo skin and ask about it. I hope it is a good case, I have been through quite a few tries from Gizmo and I have not seen any improvement in the cases. I have been going back and forth for weeks with him and not posted anything here because I thought it would be best to give him the chance to make it right but I have to say, I'm not happy about the case. My last one began to fall apart after about 2 weeks use and my 8700 moves around too much in the case. I want it to have a snug fit. I do like the one I got from ExtremePDA.com, however and it is $15 cheaper.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #233
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

He has informed me that he has made a major designe change on it and the new one should be in at month end. My thought on that is he is not shipping any orders untill after he gets those which I think it would be the right thing to do. I can say he stands behind his products and I have not seen any one do what he has been doing.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #234
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

The Krusell Universal Horizontic PDA case arrived today from extremePDA.com
Ordered Monday afternoon, and it was here today....good shipping time. I've read this thread up & down in search of a good horizontal case, and needed something fast (don't like carrying around my 8700 naked, and don't fully trust the OEM case)

The case is going back tomorrow. Here's what I don't like about it.....it's FREAKING HUGE!!!! Feels like I've got a small suitcase strapped to my side. Don't ask me whether it's the PDA XS, Small, or Medium b/c I can't tell. The dimensions all give the inner pocket and they're all close. The outer dimensions are approximately 5"L X 3 1/4"W X 1 1/4"D (that's without any clips attached) With the swivel clip it's nearly 3" in depth!

The BB is not fully secure (about a 1/2" of space on the side, and 1" on the top), but to be fair...it does not slide around once the flap is closed. The snap enclosure works fairly well, but I didn't like it regardless. Much prefer a magnetic enclosure like I had with my horizontal 7100t leather case which was a generic ordered off Ebay (another thread here turned me on to that)

The media card storage area adds to the bulk of the unit, and why do I really need it anyway? There are two netted compartments to place your FLASH cards. When ordering I thought perhaps I could stash a credit card or ID. Guess what though....the storage area is sewn down in the middle so as to create two separate storage spaces...rendering the space too small for an ID or CC. You may say that you could put it in there loose and just snap the enclosure back to the case and hold it in that way. No again...unless you want to risk losing your stuff since there is nothing protecting the sides.

And that brings up another thing...the space created to hold the BB has open exposures on the sides, and the bottom. It may be strange to some, but I'd feel better knowing my BB is fully enclosed (with just enough room for the earbud headset to be plugged in though)

While I was taking measurement I had the BB in the case. My wife called and asked why I'd called her twice in the past 10 minutes. Keyboard Lock is a must if you want this unit. Which is another bad thing since it will put unnecessary drain on the battery.

This may be the perfect case for someone, but not for me. I really want a svelte, form-fitting, leather horizontal case. Is that to much to ask?

Last edited by TRIdad; 02-23-2006 at 08:07 PM..
Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #235
jrusso2006

Model: 8700c

I actually love my Gizmo case, although like others here I am trouble with the magnet and the flap alignment. But Gizmoguy came online and offered a replacement. Now, that's customer service! I gotta recommend this case.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 AM   #236
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

driving myself crazy here....Gizmo case may be the answer (if the clip really is a ratchet system and not just a swivel that wears out after a while and falls vertical---can anyone comment?), or perhaps the Fortte horizontal pouch (the Mahogany leather looks divine) Company that makes Fortte cases--- MCW Design & MFG---is located very close to me. Maybe I'll drop in sometime and take a case for a "test drive"
Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 AM   #237
The Sage

Model: 8900
PIN: BIC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by campsean
I ordered an 8700c case from Gizmoskin.com on Feb 6th and I haven't received the case in the mail yet. Am wondering how long did it take in between placing your order and receiving the product?

I know the product ships from Canada, and it may a few extra days than normal to ship to the USA. But - its Feb 23nd now - means 17 days has gone by and nothing.. that's not normal? Is it because the company is waiting until the case has been completely redesigned before it's ships out?

Thanks,
Sean
I purchased the Gizmoskin case for my 8700c on eBay. Shipping was a $1 less then the Gizmoskin web site and it took only a week to be mailed to me from Canada. I just got it today (ordered last week). It's a very nice case, I'm very happy with it. There is more on eBay, just do a search for "Blackberry 8700 Lambskin Leather Case".
Old 02-24-2006, 03:50 AM   #238
Richardd

Model: 8700c

The Sena case is delightful. It's very tasteful and well made. I like the clip. Mine presents no problems at all. In fact I enjoy it because it allows me to carry my 8700 vertical or horizontal. Rarely does the case get in the way of typing, and I love the flap because I know it's protecting the device. My is black-I thought it went better with the cingular model. But I personally love the brown color more.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #239
DocGo

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

I just got the sena case and don't like it. Yes, the leather is good and for the most part, the case is well-made. But the flap opens too easily and spontaneously. I have to keep on closing the flap as I walk around the hospital with the case clipped on my belt. I am using my Nutshell case again for now until the Vaja ships.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #240
mortgageguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Default Selling Sena case

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGo
I just got the sena case and don't like it. Yes, the leather is good and for the most part, the case is well-made. But the flap opens too easily and spontaneously. I have to keep on closing the flap as I walk around the hospital with the case clipped on my belt. I am using my Nutshell case again for now until the Vaja ships.

Hey DocGo - I had the same experience with my Sena for the couple of days I carried it. I added to small magnets to the flap. This helps but the flap still has a tendencey to pop up if your arm catches it just right. Still a great case for those who want a little more protection.

I have decided to sell mine. PM me if interested.
Closed Thread