Old 10-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #281
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telrod11
Ok, I bought the Plantronic 510, and am very pleased with it, but there is some minor nagging nuances with it and my 7100g. My 7100g has no "handsfree" profile, so I assume this is why it reacts kinda strangely. (Stuff like coming on with a popping / hissing when I holster it, that can't be stopped until I take it out and place it back in..) Other stuff like activating no matter what button I push on the BB, messages, browser, etc. Seems like it should only come to "life" when I am in the call menu, right?

(Don't know if this makes any sense at all; I can try to explain it a little better, if it might help....)

Anyway, if you have some tips you could share to make this guy function a little better, I'd love to hear your tips....
What version of the firmware are you on with your 7100g? The latest version seems to be much better in this regard. I can tell you that it is a phone thing and not the headset. When I test it on a handset like the HP HW6510 or the PPC 6700 it is dead quiet. So quiet when you are not on a call that you aren't sure it is on or connected. The latest version of the 7100 firmware helps but it is a version 1.1 Bluettoth device and frankly there is no comparison between version 1.1 and 1.2 when it comes to sound quality.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 10-29-2005, 02:14 PM   #282
kennethbokor

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers
Default also testing Gennum headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Kenneth, thanks for your help and input. I really appreciate it when people take the time and effort to provide feedback that is well reasoned and developed. I too try to live up to that standard. Many of you readers may not realize how much time and effort ti takes to do this.

I know that many of you are anxiously awaiting my review of the nXzen and I am close. I want to be fair to the company as well as to the consumer and I have been testing this device a lot. My problem was I was interuppted by a week long business trip to Brussels and I did not have the headset with me as planned. I will explain in my review. This has put me a little behind where I wanted to be so please bear with me as I work a pretty intense job that has taken most of my spare time, as of late.
All, I just picked up the nXzen as well today. Surprised to see it at Best Buy, considering it's not avail on the net yet!

I will be testing this as well and will report my findings later next week. However, my initial testing from today is positive.

Stay tuned!

Ken
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #283
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW
Default BT tidbits.

I think that despite all the reviews it comes down to personal preference. I have tried loads of headsets and find the Motorola 810 to be the best overall. I tried several jabras only to find them too heavy for my ear. The 110 is a POS the 800 while very cool looking was very heavy and nearly impossible to answer a call with, others have touched on this, Jabra cant seem to find a fix for the berry problems. I do like the in-ear style, as I am deaf as a haddock. I have trained myself to use the on-ear style, 810, 820 (although 820 didnt have enuff volume for me. The scala had good sound but IMHO poor ergonomics. The 850 is not recomended for use by nextel, anybody know why? I tried 3 of them and they all sounded worse than the 810 which I have been using since January. I am on my 3rd the first one I lost and the second one my daughter broke the boom off, I sent it back to moto abd they sent me a 850 which had so much echo I returned it to a Bestbuy for my current 810. I am currently autitioning the Plant Explorer 320 which laptop mag gave their editors choice award. The price is right at 39 bux. Its nice fits much more securly on my head thatn the 810 but always starts with a slight crackle (callers dont seem to hear) It seems to have less range than the 810 about 10 feet is as far as you can be from the phone before it starts to break up. I will keep it as a back up till I lose or break my current 810 A plus for me is the 320 has a protruding speaker which sits ever so slightly in-ear for a secure fit and good sound. It has great stand by and talk time. I dont feel as quick on the draw if i get a call and dont have it on but the battery is good so you dont have to worry about it going dead. My advice to anyone seeking a BT solution try as many as you can find. One will serve you well, you just need to find what works for you.
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 AM   #284
splacko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Default that helped

Thanks for that bit of info regarding Nextel's BB and the use of the 850. That may be the reason why I'm having such a horrible experience. So, I'll have to purchase another BT and sell off the one I have to someone who will use it. I was in Best Buy and saw the HS 500 - may have to give that one a try if I can't find the HS 810. After I read the reviews, of course...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #285
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by splacko
I recently purchased the Motorola HS850 to go with my Nextel 7100i, and maybe it's the unit itself, but all of my callers complain that they cannot hear me, or that I sound really far away. Granted the mic on the HS850 sits close to your cheek, but everyone else that has that unit isn't having an issue. Do you guys think the unit itself is defective? Or am I expecting too much from a $99 earpiece???? Please offer any assistance if you can.
It's a pretty common complaint with the HS810. I never found a solution before mine died and Motorola sent me a HS850 as a warranty replacement. I used the HS850 a couple of times but didn't find it to be much better than the HS810 so I gave it to a friend who was interested in it.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM   #286
telrod11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
What version of the firmware are you on with your 7100g? The latest version seems to be much better in this regard. I can tell you that it is a phone thing and not the headset. When I test it on a handset like the HP HW6510 or the PPC 6700 it is dead quiet. So quiet when you are not on a call that you aren't sure it is on or connected. The latest version of the 7100 firmware helps but it is a version 1.1 Bluettoth device and frankly there is no comparison between version 1.1 and 1.2 when it comes to sound quality.
BarJon:
The 7100g is Cingular and the OS is version 4.0.0.219.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 PM   #287
barjohn

You really need to upgrade to 4.0.2.49 or later if a later version is available as your 1st step. See what that does for you. It should help.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 AM   #288
SedahDrol

it's been a while since I've posted, I decided to stop by the forums to see what the lates in BT's were and read barjohn's review on the plantronics V510 and decided to go for it. I just got it today, and tested it out and it feels very comfortable and seems to work fairly well with my BB7520. I bought it to replace my Jabra BT800 which was functional (that's all I can really say about it), unfortunately the answer button broke on me, apparantly the plastic tab between the button and the contact broke. That pretty much left me with having to answer the call via my BB, effectively making the entire point of a handsfree BT pointless. I definitley have to say don't waste money on a BT800, it's not sturdy enough to handle the rigors of daily use. It lasted about a year, it took less than a year for me to break the ear hook, which I managed to keep together with the occasional application of krazy glue. I never really found use for the caller id bit, which I thought would come in handy, but since I always had it on my ear, it never was really useful.

I hope that the plantronics lives to my expectations. so far I like it. It answers much quicker than my bt800, fits more snug, I can actually hear the person I'm talking to with the volume at minimum level, range seems a little better than my bt800, there's no echo, I wish it had a meter to tell how much power was left though. Tommorrow I will see what it's like to have it on for 12 hours and talk on it in a very noisy environment.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #289
nemo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

I just got the Plantronics Voyager 510 to go with my 7520 myself. Had it for a week now and I'm very happy. I had previously used a Scala 500, which was OK for making calls, but worthless for trying to answer them. It seemed OK at first, but I think it got worse over time and became virtually unusable.

The V510 answers them quickly with the 7520 and I have had no complaint from people I talk to about how I sound. My wife would complain every time with the Scala, so if she isn't complaining with the V510 it must be good!

Also considered the Jabra BT 500, but decide to give the cheaper and more tested V510 a try first. So far I'm very pleased and would recommend highly to 7520 owners.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #290
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo
Thumbs up Plantronics Discovery 640 Mini-review

After about a week with my Plantronics Discovery 640, I have to say I'm pretty pleased. The best news I have for you is that it is extremely loud with my 7100t. I never have the volume over halfway, and it seems like I'm always turning it down. This is a good thing given how many people on this forum are complaining about their too-soft headsets.

Other quick hits:

- Above all I really love how small and light it is.

- Sweet carrying case--even includes a mirror so you can check yourself out while wearing it. It's a slim and durable case which is nice, but the A/C adapter doesn't fit in there. This doesn't bother me, see below.

- Ingenius charging system, comes with interchangable snap-on adapters to use the phone charger you already have. Does not come with a usb charging doohickey, but one can be ordered.

- One of the charging modules accommodates a AAA battery, which can charge the headset up to three times when you're away from wall power. AWESOME.

- The charging sleeve has a vibrator in it, and when you pull the headset out of the sleeve, an incoming call is automatically answered.

- It took me a couple of days fidgeting with it to figure out how to stuff it in my ear just right. But I figured out the trick, and it's a good fit. It's light and small and comfortable enough to almost forget it's there, and when it's inserted correctly it's in no danger of falling out. (There's a behind-the-ear wire brace that comes with it, I have had no need to try this out.)

- Sound quality is acceptable. I have no complaints about what I hear, but my wife has complained about not being able to hear me clearly, particularly when I'm in a noisy environment like a restaurant.

It's a keeper!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #291
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

the 640 looks cool but also looks easy to lose...I have spent many mornings looking about the house car and office looking for a wayward headest....I am really digging my new Plant. Explorer 320 light good sound long battery life easy to put on so forth. I really like my 810 but saw this for 38 dollard and couldnt pass it up.
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #292
telrod11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You really need to upgrade to 4.0.2.49 or later if a later version is available as your 1st step. See what that does for you. It should help.
Upgraded to the latest on teh Cingular / BB site. Pretty much the same. I don't know for sure, but it seems the bluetooth might be a tad worse than it was before... Hard to tell for sure. I know it still has problems connecting sometimes, especially when I initiate the call...

Thnaks for the help!
Old 11-02-2005, 12:56 AM   #293
Robert L

Model: 7100t

Has anyone using the NxZen 5000 found that when you start talking somewhere its quiet, that the outgoing volume is too low? Thats what the one I have is doing and I find it very odd.

I just start using it and talking but the other people said I was too low, and after about 20 minutes of this, I turned on a radio and when I did that they asked what I just did, because then it sounded ok to them. So now everytime I start talking on it where its quiet, I have to create noise so I won't sound low.

I assume that its either a defect in the one I have, or it has something to do with it have two mic's. I know they say the outgoing is amplified, so maybe it needs noise to work right?

When it works, the sound is good, at both ends, but thats just very odd. I send them a email, that appears the only way to contact them, but nobody responded back yet. So, I have no idea right now if I should try to return it or not. I'm not sure how easy ecost is to deal with on returns.

But I'd like to know if this is normal for this headset before I did that. The only other thing is it the battery went dead after 3:30 minutes, while they say the average is 6 hours. Maybe it will last longer the second time. The flamingo I have last's over 6 hours.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #294
barjohn

Have you connected it to the Equalizer software? You can set mic sensitivity as well as the response curve both for phone and music (independent of one another). I haven't noticed this on the unit I am testing.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #295
Robert L

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Have you connected it to the Equalizer software? You can set mic sensitivity as well as the response curve both for phone and music (independent of one another). I haven't noticed this on the unit I am testing.
The 5000 doesn't come with that software. I wasn't interested in listening to music so I figured there was no use to get the 5500. I didn't realize it had settings for the actual phone quality that I see in the download software manual.

Still, thats no excuse for the one I have needing more noise than my voice before the outgoing volume is working correct. I'll see if NxZen answers me, but sounds like I might have to return it. Maybe I get the 5500 next time if that software actually works correctly, setting up just the phone part. I still don't see why that would be necessary though. I like the black color better also on the 5000.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:26 AM   #296
barjohn

Sorry, I missed the 5000 vs 5500 part. I thought you had made a typo. I have found the company very responsive and willing to answer questions. If the unit is defective they should replace it. I have not observed that problem with the 5500.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #297
DETerry

Model: 7100
Exclamation Bluetrek G2

I have used the G2 on 2 different units a NOKIA 6260 and a Blackberry RIM 7100T unlocked to a 7100 on Cingular currently. I have found the headset to be good quality, very little if any background noise goes thru and easy to use and adjust the volume. I had to make a few extra tries on the Blackberry to pair the headset, but I think that was my error. Once it paired it works great, long battery life and very easy to use, light weight in the ear.

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaymond
Just my $.02.

I just purchased my Blackberry 7100t five days ago. Along with it, I purchased the BlueTrek G2 (http://www.bluetrek.com/bluetrekG2/bluetrekG2.htm) for about 75 bucks at my local Fry's Electronics.

Availiable in Blue (Shown above), Black, and Titanium

I'll admit I'm no bluetooth expert (as a matter of fact, that ought to be a consideration when choosing any device....can the novice user get up and running quickly). Without reading any manuals (except how to activate the pairing function on the headset), I was up and running in less than 3 minutes. The G2 comes with a Charger, the headset, and a beltclip soft case for putting the thing in when you don't want a headset on your face

Performance has been EXCEPTIONAL. Product site states 9 hours of talk time and 400 hours of standby. As for actuals, I haven't had it die on me yet. Busiest day so far included 3.5 hours of talk time and a day and a half of standby with no problems.

I can have my 7100t downstairs in the kitchen locked in the holster and answer the phone with a push of a button on my headset upstairs in my office. (WOW). I've had one or two other bluetooth headsets a while back and this thing makes those other's I've owned look like a commodore 64 next to 64 bit Processor.

It's small..It's sleek...It's extremely comfortable (I wear mine from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep.

Like I said, I'm new here and perhaps I'm missing something (haven't seen the BlueTrek G2 listed in this post so far), but it works GREAT for me.

--TRaymond
Old 11-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #298
Mathelo

Model: 7290
Carrier: Verizon

John,

How is your review of the NxZen coming? I got impatient and bought the Plantronics 510. I was quite satisfied with it but then I lost it. Damn things are easy to lose.

So I'm already back on the market for a new BT headset and considering the NxZen again. The one thing I worry about with the 510 is wind noise. I didn't have much opportunity to use it in windy conditions but the one time I did my wife said she could not hear me. I really didn't think it was that windy.

To make matters worse, I drive a convertible and I do need to use the phone. I didn't get a chance to try the 510 in this setting. My wired Shure headset would pass this test.

Looking forward to your review.

Louis
Old 11-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #299
barjohn

I am getting close. Today I was recording under various driving conditions. I should tell you that I have not found any headset that is impervious to wind noise. I know some have made that claim for the Logitec but I have heard no proof. The nXZEN does a pretty good job but it is not impervious to it. I have tested with the drivers window down which causes a lot of buffeting and it worked well but outside as the wind picks up it deteriorates. Not as bas as the others and you can still understand me but it isn't clear.

I am attaching a link to the sound file from the car using the nXZEN and the BB7100t with the latest firmware. It also contains a short clip with just the handset.

http://www.barjohn.com/Public_downlo...00t_in_Car.wav

Active PIN 203A5535

Last edited by barjohn; 11-03-2005 at 01:24 AM..
Old 11-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #300
mediaone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Just to let everyone know, I just bought a HBH-610 in anticipation of getting a 8700c (its a 2.0 device) , and even with the 7100g with 3.8 software it seems to work really well. The noise cancellation is great I think, and I am not getting the volume issues others have complained about. It is comfortable to, to me at least.

There should be added benefits when using it with the 8700c (better audio quality and quicker connect) but I guess we will find out.
Closed Thread