BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #341
rctoyguy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 5290

Please Login to Remove!

so this mystery release for Verizon is basically just their version of the 8700c over at Cingular - correct? - This is also the only current qwerty blackberry, correct?

The "Pearl" is going to be a blackberry with a camera, but there is no word, hint, or guess as to a release date - correct? (or for that matter, what provider will get it first)

I'm with cingular - Treo650, I hate it. Don't know if it's Cingular or the Treo, but I hate it. I figure changing to Verizon and going to blackberry should take care of the problem - Problem being weak reception, not good audio quality for me to hear, and I'm told I sound terrible to folks on the other end.

I plan to make the jump sometime in the next month.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #342
whoscalling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy
so this mystery release for Verizon is basically just their version of the 8700c over at Cingular - correct? - This is also the only current qwerty blackberry, correct?

The "Pearl" is going to be a blackberry with a camera, but there is no word, hint, or guess as to a release date - correct? (or for that matter, what provider will get it first)

I'm with cingular - Treo650, I hate it. Don't know if it's Cingular or the Treo, but I hate it. I figure changing to Verizon and going to blackberry should take care of the problem - Problem being weak reception, not good audio quality for me to hear, and I'm told I sound terrible to folks on the other end.

1. 87** is the newest line of Qwerty blackberries
2. Tmobile Sept 12
3. Sounds like your current service providers network is lacking in your area. Blackberry is a MUCH more stable device compared to the treo.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #343
whoscalling

Getting the thread back on the subject (8703 Release).

I understand it has only been 2-3 hours since I asked the question but I get the feeling from the lack of responses to my question I guess pricing is a big unknown.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #344
tjewell73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoscalling
Getting the thread back on the subject (8703 Release).

I understand it has only been 2-3 hours since I asked the question but I get the feeling from the lack of responses to my question I guess pricing is a big unknown.
No one has heard anything on pricing as of yet.

I have seen no post on any forums about pricing either.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #345
InPocket

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

rocking the 8703e avatar. very hardcore.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #346
InPocket

Carrier: VZW

anybody else notice the "Thursday, May 12th" on the above pics
Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #347
loslappy

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPocket
Its cryptic for Sept 1
Old 08-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #348
tjewell73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Yeah, that's probably when it was supposed to be released

Verizon is always behind schedule
Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #349
loslappy

Model: 8700

Quote:

The PDF in the ealier pages also has the May 12th date on the screen.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #350
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb

Quote:
It's not significant of anything, just a standard date that RIM applies to the mock-ups/dummy phones. Here's your proof:

First High-Res image of the 8700

Notice the date of "Mon, May 15" at the top of the screen.

First High-Res image of Cingular's 8700c

Notice the date: Thu, May 12.

So, again, I wouldn't read anything into it.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 08-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #351
rctoyguy

Model: 5290

off topic again - sorta...

I know blackberry is much more stable than Treo - but my main concern is about cell phone quality - quality of audio in calls, reception, etc.

How's this - any of the testers able to comment on these items for this new phone? (is that back on topic enough?)
Old 08-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #352
kpoland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just FYI - I checked with our National account manager this afternoon via a conference call with a few others... If this device is coming out Friday, they don't know about it - or are too afraid to say for sure...
"Sink or Swim" Educated
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #353
Sakman

PIN: 32B1EB46
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thank God for changeable themes. That Verizon UI is terrible!

Am I the only one thinking the 8703e is going to be ~$500+ W/O a new contract? If you're not eligible for an upgrade, the retail price of the 7250 is $449. I'm scared to see what it will be for the 8703e.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #354
tjewell73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakman

Am I the only one thinking the 8703e is going to be ~$500+ W/O a new contract? If you're not eligible for an upgrade, the retail price of the 7250 is $449. I'm scared to see what it will be for the 8703e.
That's exactly what I am thinking...
Old 08-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #355
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakman
Yeah, and worse still is that Verizon is making the manufacturers put their funky, ugly Verizon UI on EVERY phone now, so that their customers get the same interface on everything!

But I've already verified it on a live Verizon 7130e (which has the same Verizon UI/Theme as the 8703e) that you can still use any of the standard RIM themes, which are oh so much nicer!

Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #356
Masteric

Model: 8320
Default 8703 Pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjewell73
That's exactly what I am thinking...
You can put me in line with the rest of you regarding pricing. I said that exact same thing to a friend of mine last week (she is also waiting for the 8703).
Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #357
paradisephoto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy

It's Cingular. I was with them for 9 years, and finally got fed up enough to get into a *****ing match with them to get out of my contract. August 2005 I switched to Verizon, immediate improvement of call quality from both ends. Changed to a 7130e back in March of this year, no drop in call quality, great reception, BB works perfect. Would love to upgrade to the 8703 or even the 8100 (if it ever makes it to Verizon), but with the reliability and rock solid call quality I have now, I have to really thing hard about switching. Just can't see changing something that is working so well just for the sake of change. When it comes down to it (to quote Master Yoda) "Don't think. Do!"
Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #358
whoscalling

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

So since we are getting info pointing to Friday, does that mean through tele sales only, or in stores?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #359
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisephoto
It's Cingular. I was with them for 9 years, and finally got fed up enough to get into a *****ing match with them to get out of my contract. August 2005 I switched to Verizon, immediate improvement of call quality from both ends. Changed to a 7130e back in March of this year, no drop in call quality, great reception, BB works perfect. Would love to upgrade to the 8703 or even the 8100 (if it ever makes it to Verizon), but with the reliability and rock solid call quality I have now, I have to really thing hard about switching. Just can't see changing something that is working so well just for the sake of change. When it comes down to it (to quote Master Yoda) "Don't think. Do!"
That takes the cake as the most horrible misquoting I've encountered all week, probably even all month!

Here's the actual quote, word for word:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master Yoda
(in response to Luke saying he'll "try")

No. Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
One of the best lines in the entire 6 film series!

Old 08-30-2006, 03:58 AM   #360
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I'll throw in my opinion for anyone who will get any value from it. I see a lot of peoples decisions on phone is coming down to timing and providers. I've been back and forth on verizon and cingular many times, I've used both carriers all over the country and have extensively tested with different phones, BB's and locations.
Basically here's the deal, (I apologize in advance if you already know this) Verizon, hands down, best service. It's not even close, Verizon just works, it works everywhere all the time, very rarely do I have dropped calls, very stable, great quality etc. Their customer service is insulting at best and you'll wait 48hrs in a store before you get helped but their Phone Service balances it out. Cingular on the other hand has amazing customer service, almost every phone call is less than 5 minutes on hold and you usually get your issue resolved. Their service is managable. Its much better than T-mobile or sprint(t-mobile simply leases space from cingular but doesn't get nearly as many towers) but its not amazing. I drop calls a fair amount and the quality is OK. It's certainly stable enough to use for business and to travel with, and having GSM certainly has major advantages BUT if you want something that is just bulletproof and 100% reliable, I'd stay away until they get their post merger cell system completely bug free. now let's talk devices.

I was on verizon with a 7250 for a while, tried holding out for the 8700 but it never ever came. This was MONTHS ago. I switched over to cingular and got the 8700c(which they'd already had for 2 months). Its hands down the best cell BB/PDA I've ever had. If I had to do it again I wouldn't flinch. The 8700 is so much easier to use, I get a massive amount of more work done and it is 100% compatable with my car so I'm able to use it via bluetooth (full address book and voice dialing). What is sad is that I've had this phone for months, used it, abused it, and now I may switch BACK to verizon to get the 8703 and it's almost been a year. Damm they are SLLOOOOWWW. In a perfect world the 8703 will come out before cingular gets another newer better device and I can at least enjoy a few months with a 8700 and great service. Now, lets get to the point.

If you're on verizon, and you're sick of holding out for the 8700 my advice would be to goto cingular, get a 8700c and a new number, you've got 30 days. If verizon doesn't come out with their new one in that time you port. Cancel your account and you'll have your sweet 8700c with all its bells and whistles. If verizon happens to come out with the 8703 in this time period then you simply cancel your cingular account, return the phone(full refund) and it's like it never happened. the 2 major advantages to doing this are 1- you're forcing a timeframe on yourself, that way you don't just linger on hoping for the 8703 and 2- if you do happen to try the 8700c and end up loving it and cingular you're ready to rock from the start. chances are you'll probably end up with the 9700 on cingular before the rest of us even get confortable with our 8703s on verizon. It's simple.

"but pricing" yeah yeah yeah. It's going to be expensive, who cares. It's a Blackberry, I'm sure it'll be like 300 with a 2year contract, and without it'll be around 5 or 6. If you want the newest toy you're going to pay. You'll be out of pocket around the same if you cancel your contract and goto another provider for their current 8700 so the issue is moot.

For the rest of you considering PALM devices I can only say that I think you're out of your mind. Those things are complete junk. I have three friends who have independently smashed theirs due to the fact that their treo's just SUCKED. Also, a small sidenote, stop asking about camera's and ringtones etc. Who cares. if you wanted a toy why did you get a blackberry. Go get a sidekick, get little sparkles on it and play with your camera and mp3's. In the meantime the rest of us will get some work done. (disclaimer: I do understand that some of you use the 7100 and 8100 series blackberries and this does not directly target you). If you're waiting on a 8700 or similar series to start including these useless features, please, hold your breath and enjoy the wait.

I hope I've helped some of you and offended others. If you're that indecisive about what to do with your phone situation and you really spend all night waiting for us to tell you what to do then I seriously doubt what blackberry you have is the problem worth your attention at present. I'd recommend focusing on what you can do to prevent being fired in the coming weeks.

No, i don't check my spelling, and yes my grammar is terrible, doesn't change any of my points or stop any of the preceding information from being true.

Evan

Last edited by evandt; 08-30-2006 at 04:06 AM..
Closed Thread