okey dokey
Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #22
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataquest
Wirelessly posted (Sanyo MM-7400: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-7400/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

I don't own a blackberry. I have never owned a blackberry. Why? Because none of them have a camera. So, until RIM realizes that they could make a lot more profit by making a more consumer friendly BB with a camera and other handy tools, I will spend my money elsewhere. Possibly the upcoming Motorola 'Q'.
Blackberries are not personal devices. They are aimed at businesses. I used to be a government contractor and I know many agencies would cancel their RIM devices if a camera ever appeared. I doubt people wanting cameras would make up for the loss of government contracts.

The 2 agencies I have worked for banned all cell phones, due to the fact they didn't know if they had a camera or not, but they did allow RIM devices as they knew they had no camera and no removable memory.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #23
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhawley
I do think that they will make a clear distinction between a business-blackberry and the general-blackberry. I disagree with the above statement that then companies would ban all blackberry devices. Most companies have a policy of not allowing camera phones, but allow non-camera cell phones.
IBM allows no cell phones in some offices, same with afew government agencies I have worked for. They do that because of all the camera phones out there. Most govm't agencies do allow RIM devices, as does IBM.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #24
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I don't own a blackberry. I have never owned a blackberry. Why? Because none of them have a camera. So, until RIM realizes that they could make a lot more profit by making a more consumer friendly BB with a camera and other handy tools, I will spend my money elsewhere. Possibly the upcoming Motorola 'Q'.
Enjoy Microsoft's 15th attempt at mobile e-mail. I guess they'll eventually get it right. I have a nice Motorola MPx200, which was their last BlackBerry killer. Serves as a nice doorstop.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 08-01-2005 at 01:03 PM..
Old 08-05-2005, 09:31 AM   #25
dataquest
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Sanyo MM-7400: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-7400/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

I kind of take back my comment that I will never own a BB without a camera. I may someday buy one anyway, mainly to surf the web. I would just prefer a camera version if one was available because they sure come in handy.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #26
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs up

Quote:

I kind of take back my comment that I will never own a BB without a camera. I may someday buy one anyway, mainly to surf the web. I would just prefer a camera version if one was available because they sure come in handy.
Problem is these devices are not aimed at the general public, it is a specific type of group they are for. I guess a camera would help, I would suggest putting it on the fun and hip 7100 series line.

pink
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #27
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

I'd imagine that if BlackBerry wants to keep its marketshare, they're going to have to aim something at the general public.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:56 AM   #28
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

The 7100 is aimed at the general public.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #29
theatreguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
The 7100 is aimed at the general public.
yeah, I guess that was my original point. so why couldn't this specific "populist" line include a camera version? i don't believe it has to be "all or nothing". as someone pointed out, RIM is going to have to do something to guarantee its place in the marketshare. competition will only increase.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #30
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatreguy
yeah, I guess that was my original point. so why couldn't this specific "populist" line include a camera version? i don't believe it has to be "all or nothing". as someone pointed out, RIM is going to have to do something to guarantee its place in the marketshare. competition will only increase.
As long as they have a lock on so many government contracts, I don't see them adding a camera. If they do, they will lose hundreds of thousands of subscribers. I worked for one agency that had 25,000 of them alone.

Unless they make them a different color, or build in some rfid that an agency could use to check it, I don't see it happening.

if you want a camera, and email, maybe a sidekick is more of what you need?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #31
kegstand

Model: 7250

I don't think they're worth it anyway a camera is a nice thing to have but the quality on all camera phones leaves a lot to be desired, they are only nice to have for that spur of the moment snapshot when you have nothing else but even then you are often left with a grainy picture.....
Old 08-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #32
dataquest

Model: None
Carrier: AT&T

I agree with theatreguy. They should do like Mark Rejhon said, by creating a device line with a slightly different name which would have features that normal consumers would like to have, such as a camera, among other things. It would still have the quality traits of other blackberries, but wouldn't be confused with their more "security oriented" siblings. This way, everyone is happy, with a quality device. It makes perfect sense to me.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #33
yrboij

Model: 7520

I'm not sure (and maybe I'm wrong here) that there's a large consumer market for an email device with a $40+ per month charge for back-end server access. That's more than many consumers pay for broadband.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #34
rcrivera03
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520

Until this morning I thought I would never buy a BB with a cam built in. But this morning after the kids got off to school and chatting with a few friends on BB messenger while sitting by my pool. I can't see my neighbor talking on his phone pacing up and down his pool deck, next thing I know I heard a splash. When I look up I see my neighbor crawling put of his pool in his BUSINESS SUIT. Lol...

He starts cursing and throwing a tantrum right no his pool deck, when he's done with that, he starts to empty his pockets, and out comes a Palm Pilot. So he starts yelling and screaming again and throwing his lawn furniture, then glass breaks. The moron actually kicked a chair through his GLASS sliding door, lol.

Where was my cam?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #35
archtdi

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus

I nominate your neighbour for a Darwin Award
Old 08-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #36
test
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

have to say, i know alot of realtors that use blackberries...PLUS digital cameras...i know they would love a camera in their phone...less stuff to carry, PLUS it would be instant access for whoever they are taking the pics for...

but then again, the vga camera would be no good for that...so until they could put a 3 megapixel camera in a phone...or even 2 i dont think its worth the hub bub...
Closed Thread