JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdryv View Post
so if RIM can deactivate a PIN, why won't they deactivate a PIN if you report your blackberry stolen? or better yet, help you get it back?
That is a good question for a another thread. However, it's not the topic of this one, which is mostly blathering lengthy hopeful nonsense.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdryv View Post
so if RIM can deactivate a PIN, why won't they deactivate a PIN if you report your blackberry stolen?

They did this for my company multiple times in the past. We asked them to disable a PIN from a device that was stolen or lost and they confirmed that it was disabled.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
dakatza
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst View Post
They did this for my company multiple times in the past. We asked them to disable a PIN from a device that was stolen or lost and they confirmed that it was disabled.
Not that it matters, but i'd bet money they didn't disable the PIN and just wiped the device remotely. I think there could be serious legal issues with disabling a device they don't own. Proving ownership is not something they would probably want to get into. For instance, you could purchase the device and thus have the reciepts and IMEI #s, then sell/give it to your gf, who then cheats on you and to get back at her you have them disable it.

Could be different in a corporate setting where the devices are purchased by a large corporation for their employees. but still dicey
Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #24
morrow95
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmobile

I bought an 8120 off eBay awhile back. I ran into the same problem. I called tmo, they sent me to rim, rim sent me back to tmo and basically about 20 calls and a week later and neither side could tell me why it was suspended or deactivated and neither could fix it. RIM was very helpful, but kept saying it was an issue with tmo. After talking with rim one day for quite some time the guy finally advised me to get my money back and buy one at the store - which I did. I popped my sim in and bam - it worked. Luckily the seller on ebay refunded my money no problem when I told him of the problem and sent the phone back.

good luck...
Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Ya buy stolen sh!t, ya get burned. Not a hard concept. I think RIM gave all the warning they needed to with the sticker that said, "Property of Research in Motion. Not For Sale". If some scvmbag removed it and sold it to a rube, he's the criminal and the rube is the rube. Prosecute one and just laugh at the other.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
webterractive

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers ATT

No much you can do, unless you want to squeel, in which I would think about if it's worth it. You should never purchase pre-release stuff, even though John Mayer and Lindsay Lohan have fully workng models that doesn't include you. The best thing you could do is call Blackberry and pretend you didn't know, or call Ebay and complain the device is DOA in which your PIN doesn't work.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakatza View Post
Not that it matters, but i'd bet money they didn't disable the PIN and just wiped the device remotely. I think there could be serious legal issues with disabling a device they don't own. Proving ownership is not something they would probably want to get into. For instance, you could purchase the device and thus have the reciepts and IMEI #s, then sell/give it to your gf, who then cheats on you and to get back at her you have them disable it.

Could be different in a corporate setting where the devices are purchased by a large corporation for their employees. but still dicey
The PIN is owned by RIM though not the consumer. If they disable the PIN from their Network they arent really disabling the device.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #28
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakatza View Post
Not that it matters, but i'd bet money they didn't disable the PIN and just wiped the device remotely.

How should they wipe the device if I wiped it myself (the devices were connected to my own BES).

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
akim911
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

no idea
Closed Thread