Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #21
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
It sounds like in Europe there are a lot of restrictions. We do not have those restrictions in the USA. You have to get an unlimited data package to use BES.

If you are worried about pictures over 32KB do not use them. RIM should not limit pictures down to 32K for the few in this world that do not have unlimited data plans.

RIM should support what ever Exchange supports for BES. 95% if BES users sync with Exchange the rest are Lotus Notes an there is that .05% of Groupwise clients.

SeanH
I dont think that a discussion regarding the limit makes much sense - and, of course if there would be an adjustable limit, this is fine with me.
But, regard the restictions...:
Ever went to Europe with your Blackberry ? Your US-based data-flat does not work here, you have to pay roaming charges too - or am I incorrect ?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #22
TotalTech
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304D3782
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

The op was and is not about BES or billing in europe, its about how to get their contact photos to synce using DM. They are using a BB not a WM device or a iPhone can we get back on topic?
All devices have their limitations/quirks we get around them or we move to a device that offers something else.

Can we get back to the topic because I have the same issue. If the photo is on my BB contact it pushes to outlook but not vise versus. So the post about the BB storing contact photos in media is false because I have no photos in my media card or device yet my contacts have photos
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #23
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalTech View Post

Can we get back to the topic because I have the same issue.
If the photo is on my BB contact it pushes to outlook but not vise versus.
So the post about the BB storing contact photos in media is false because
I have no photos in my media card or device yet my contacts have photos
See I don't understand that. :ow can you BB contatcs have pics without having assigned pics to them?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
TotalTech
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304D3782
Carrier: Verizon

Many of my contacts have picture that were on my old 8830 I transfered my contacts and settings but none of my media. So that leads me to believe they are stored in the contact db. Not the media as individual photos. But its just a guess
Old 02-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
nobody7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalTech View Post

The op was and is not about BES or billing in europe, its about how to get their contact photos to synce using DM. They are using a BB not a WM device or a iPhone can we get back on topic?
All devices have their limitations/quirks we get around them or we move to a device that offers something else.

Can we get back to the topic because I have the same issue. If the photo is on my BB contact it pushes to outlook but not vise versus. So the post about the BB storing contact photos in media is false because I have no photos in my media card or device yet my contacts have photos
Sorry about leading the topic to a different direction.....
(very small font here: i still am interested in roaming charges US people pay in Europe)

But, at least I made an effort to explain why there could be problems from my experience I have with BES.
If anyone would like to try who uses DM If ContactPictures sync when obeying the same limits as with BES we would know more.

Last edited by nobody7290; 02-08-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #26
SeanH

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I have a lot of experience with this subject. I have spent hours reading the forums and trying things out to get it to work.

My final solution was to use Desktop Manager and disable BES for contacts on the device. This allows 100% of the pictures to sync with out any crazy rules. Fields like birthday and anniversary will sync but you have to manually map the spouse field to a user field.

My goal was to use Desktop manager for the initial sync then start using BES after that. This does not work. Over 300 of my records had conflict because BES maps fields different then Desktop Manger. This is a flaw.

By default BES will not sync any pictures from Exchange server to the Blackberry. BES will not sync the Birthday contact, the Anniversary contact or the Spouse contact. Their maybe more but that is all I use.

I hope this helps someone from spending all the time I did on this subject.

SeanH
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #27
nobody7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
I have a lot of experience with this subject. I have spent hours reading the forums and trying things out to get it to work.

My final solution was to use Desktop Manager and disable BES for contacts on the device. This allows 100% of the pictures to sync with out any crazy rules. Fields like birthday and anniversary will sync but you have to manually map the spouse field to a user field.

My goal was to use Desktop manager for the initial sync then start using BES after that. This does not work. Over 300 of my records had conflict because BES maps fields different then Desktop Manger. This is a flaw.

By default BES will not sync any pictures from Exchange server to the Blackberry. BES will not sync the Birthday contact, the Anniversary contact or the Spouse contact. Their maybe more but that is all I use.

I hope this helps someone from spending all the time I did on this subject.

SeanH
I rechecked this again:
My outlook has nothing special, and by default it does sync (over BES)
the contactpicture (regardless what name you specify I tried a random jpeg, both directions)
the birthday,
the anniversary

But this thread is of course about something else, and I better stop posting now.
Closed Thread