BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

Update on my case: Bottom line, I cleared profiles database and was able to successfully complete a backup. Changing one thing at a time, and in my limited testing, I was only able to cause backup error when changing the in holster mobile reader alert in the normal profile from vibrate to vibrate + tone after the clear. Changing the tune didn't cause an error. Changing the alert and tune for phone did not cause an error. Changing the mobile reader alert in the loud profile did not cause and error.

For what it's worth, here are the step-by-step details of what I've done:

Code:
blackberry is an 8820 running OS 4.2.2.193 . . . 
blackberry prompts to turn on mass storage mode, and it is turned off each time during this test . . . 
desktop manager is 4.2.2.14 (which I hang onto because I use an old version of Outlook) . . . 
mobile reader is set to notify in blackberry profile . . . 
also set to run in background when closed  

use advanced tab in desktop manager backup and restore to clear profile database (this puts blackberry profile in normal profile) . . . 
run backup . . . 
backup successfully completed

change in holster mobile reader alert in normal profile from vibrate to vibrate + tone and save . . . 
all other settings left as is

run backup . . . 
error when receiving profiles, communication error, "the data was not recognized by the device."

clear profile database and run backup . . . 

change profile from normal to loud

run backup . . . 

change mobile reader in holster alert tune in loud profile from Notifier_BBpro_6 to Notifier_BBpro_5 and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 

change mobile reader loud profile from in holster vibrate + tone to tone and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 
backup errored out when receiving profiles, communication error, "the data was not recognized by the device"

clear profile database and run backup (blackberry again is put in normal profile when the database is cleared) . . . 

change phone tune in normal profile from in holster T-Jingle to Notifier_Lightspeed and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 

change phone normal profile from in holster vibrate + tone to tone and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 

change profile to loud

run backup . . . 

change in holster phone tune in loud profile from T-Jingle to Notifier_Lightspeed and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 

change in holster phone alert in loud profile from vibrate + tone to tone and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 

change in holster mobile reader tune in loud profile from Notifier_BBpro_6 to Notifier_BBpro_5 and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 

change in holster mobile reader alert in loud profile from vibrate + tone to tone and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 

disconnect usb cable, then reconnect

run backup . . . 

change in holster mobile reader alert in normal profile from vibrate to vibrate + tone and save . . . 
no other changes

run backup . . . 
backup errored out, when receiving profiles, communication error, "the data was not recognized by the device"

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-20-2008 at 08:06 PM..
Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidboydca View Post
I'm the CTO at FreeRange (the developer of the WSJ Mobile Reader).

On my devices, I have seen backups fail. When I clear the "Profiles" database, then it works correctly.

Then I try adding a new custom profile, or changing values for an existing profile, but the backup continues to function correctly.

I don't know how to get it back into a state where it will fail again.

Can anyone here give me the details on how they are able to get the backup to fail after clearing the "Profiles" database?

Thanks!
In my case, if I clear Profiles I can backup, just as you say. But once I reset the Profiles to my personal preferences, I again cannot backup. I never get a successful backup (with the WSJ reader installed) after I have reset the Profiles to my preferences. As you noted, new version 1.1.6 does not fix the problem.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by roid View Post
I'll be damned. I've had this problem for a while, well before the WSJ reader came out. And now I get it-- it's the FreeNews reader (which is the WSJ reader) that I've been using for a couple of years now.
I believe it's only been available for a month or so, at most. It's a new reader.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #24
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I am also having the same problem, and also running the WSJ reader.
I guess its Bye-bye to the reader until this gets fixed.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #25
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidboydca View Post
I'm the CTO at FreeRange (the developer of the WSJ Mobile Reader).
Davidboydca--- can you kindly give us an update as to where you stand with this? Has a corrected version been released yet?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #26
Kopter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Same issues. I do NOT think it is related to the WSJ reader. I deleted WSJ Mobile Reader. Also deleted weather bug direct. Did battery pull, but still hangs at backing up profiles. I have several custom profiles and don't want to clear that database and rebuild them.
I will continue to do a selective backup; everything EXCEPT profiles database.
Going to continue my investigation.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #27
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter
Same issues. I do NOT think it is related to the WSJ reader. I deleted WSJ Mobile Reader. Also deleted weather bug direct. Did battery pull, but still hangs at backing up profiles. I have several custom profiles and don't want to clear that database and rebuild them.
I will continue to do a selective backup; everything EXCEPT profiles database.
Going to continue my investigation.
While you may indeed have another issue, it's likely that the reader is really the source of the problem for you. I found that simply deleting the application (followed by a hard reset) did not fix the backup problem. I still had to clear the profiles database. I believe if you do nothing else, you will have to do the same and re-customize your profiles or else contine doing a selective backup.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #28
Kopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8820)

While you may indeed have another issue, it's likely that the reader is really the source of the problem for you. I found that simply deleting the application (followed by a hard reset) did not fix the backup problem. I still had to clear the profiles database. I believe if you do nothing else, you will have to do the same and re-customize your profiles or else contine doing a selective backup.
I had a feeling that may be the case. I will take your advice and delete the customized profiles and re create them.
Thanks for the input. Will advise.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #29
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter
Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

I had a feeling that may be the case. I will take your advice and delete the customized profiles and re create them.
Thanks for the input. Will advise.
Note: Clearing the database (using advanced backup/restore utility) is what worked for me and others. Deleting your custom profiles directly on the blackberry probably isn't going to help. The problem is something reader does or doesn't do to the profiles database. Clearing it is the sure solution.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #30
Kopter

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Note: Clearing the database (using advanced backup/restore utility) is what worked for me and others. Deleting your custom profiles directly on the blackberry probably isn't going to help. The problem is something reader does or doesn't do to the profiles database. Clearing it is the sure solution.
Roger that. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #31
Kopter

ok. I am stumped. Back up/Restore/Advanced. I can see my profiles/profiles database. However, they are greyed-out and consequently 'read only'. I disabled all wireless reconcile on all accounts... batt pull. Then i deleted all customized profiles on the device. .. batt pull. Went back into Backup/restore/advanced and both profile/profiles database are still read only... ie; cannot 'clear' them from the device.
Any clues for me? thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #32
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

I know zip about BES, but from searching around it looks to me that setting wireless reconcile to off should have done the trick. Hopefully someone will have the answer.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #33
Kopter

Thank you nonetheless!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #34
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Davidboydca--- it's now been a month and half since this backup problem has been identified and I don't think any fix has yet been issued. I find it somewhat irresponsible for the WSJ to have a version of the application in the public domain that causes harm, in the sense that it prevents the user from backing up his/her entire data. Is a fix going to be issued? Could you kindly give us an update on the status of this problem? In the interim, I imagine new users are downloading the flawed version and can't figure out why they can no longer back up their data-- doesn't seem right.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #35
bppilot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I too haven't been able to do backups since installing the WSJ Mobile Reader - Definitely seems to be the common thread here! It's time for a fix for this issue ASAP!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #36
pfiddy_bberry

Model: 8800
Carrier: s
Default It is the WSJ reader!!!!!!

Just to confirm: it is DEFINITELY the Wall Street Journal reader. I find this pretty irresponsible for such a reputable company to release this damaging piece of software. I have never had this problem in 5 years of bb ownership (from 7230 through bb curve).

Installed the WSJ reader to read a tech article on the go this afternoon, and tonight for the first time ever, I'm getting "error backing up database(s)." So I'm sure the WSJ reader is the issue.
________

I successfully backed up the device by:
1) going into the advanced tab in the download manager,
2) and loading my last backup file before the WSJ BUGGY Reader,
3) then I replaced only the "profiles" and "profiles options" on the handheld
4) pressed the back button and proceeded to do a regular back up without the error.

Last edited by pfiddy_bberry; 10-30-2008 at 11:24 PM..
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #37
jfreeman3

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I am having the same problem as Kopter "Back up/Restore/Advanced. I can see my profiles/profiles database. However, they are greyed-out and consequently 'read only'. I disabled all wireless reconcile on all accounts... batt pull. Then i deleted all customized profiles on the device. .. batt pull. Went back into Backup/restore/advanced and both profile/profiles database are still read only... ie; cannot 'clear' them from the device."
Does anyone know how to do this ? Its really annoying that installing the WSJ has so messed things up.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #38
kenw

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Unhappy cannot backup or clear profiles

I have the very same problem on my 8100. It errors out when backing up the profiles database. I can't clear it or overwrite it because it is greyed out. We have a BES setup. I wonder if that is why... BTW, I also have WSJ. So, given that it's greyed out, how do you rebuild the profiles database? - Ken
Old 11-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #39
jfreeman3

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

The only way I was able to solve the Back-Up problem was by first uninstalling WSJ Reader (I used DTM to remove) and doing a full wipe of Data bases on the Blackberry (from Options>Security menu). I then had to re-activate BES and reinstall my third party apps (but not NOT WSJ).

Now Back-Up is working fine
Old 11-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #40
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

I discovered that with wsj reader test build I was using, my profile alerts were all reset to default when I deleted the app. Same result as if I had cleared the profile database, which I guess is what deleting the app did.