DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
Yes, technically you could use it on AT&T. Yes Verizon is CDMA, but the Storm is a hybrid device with a quadband GSM radio and HSPA. However, if you really want a Storm, I suggest getting the 9500(Vodafone) and using it.
What does the market price look like for a 9500?

If its Vodafone, doesn't that mean I'd have to buy from Europe?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #22
BIGRED1985

Model: 8330
Carrier: MTS Allstream
Unhappy Sprint Customers I NEED HELP

Sprint BB from Ebay.

BRAND NEW, never activated BB8330Curve

Apparently if you are an existing SPRINT Customer you can activate the black berry 8330 curve and get the unlock codes, SPRINT tells me multiple times that the Unlock codes are unique to registered ESN's

If there is someone out there who wants to help a fellow out,

My ESN (dec) 07610236736

Thank you,
Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #23
nbradley88

Model: 8350i
Carrier: sprint

couldnt you call up sprint saying hey i got my new phone i need to register it.

heres my imei/esn and give them the numbers off the storm. just as a way to get your esn in the database. because when i got my 8350i i talked with a sprint rep in online chat and she did all of the registering.

so techinically couldnt you get an unlocked storm.

call up sprint and tell them you got your new blackberry as if it were a curve or something and then just provide them with the numbers on the storm.

or do they know what kind of phone it is by the numbers?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #24
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbradley88 View Post
couldnt you call up sprint saying hey i got my new phone i need to register it.

heres my imei/esn and give them the numbers off the storm. just as a way to get your esn in the database. because when i got my 8350i i talked with a sprint rep in online chat and she did all of the registering.

so techinically couldnt you get an unlocked storm.

call up sprint and tell them you got your new blackberry as if it were a curve or something and then just provide them with the numbers on the storm.

or do they know what kind of phone it is by the numbers?
Nope. The ESN's are in a database locked by the carrier. You have to know someone personally high up in the ranks at Sprint to get access to the ESN database. Even then at that point you would also need to get Verizon to release that ESN to Sprint.

Also, what is the likely hood that Sprint will even be around this time next year with losing millions of subs each quarter.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #25
snowwy66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: sprint

sprint blackberry plan
450 minutes= i work during the day. so do my friends. text works just fine.
unlimited internet
unlimited text
included navigation
phone as modem
offpeak hours 7pm-7am

total cost-$70

verizon blackberry plan
450 minutes=$40
internet=$30 (5 gig cap)
5000 text, unlimited verizon mobile to mobile=$20
navigation=$10
phone as modem=not allowed or pay additional $60 (i've heard software out there can make it happen though
offpeak hours=9pm-6am

total cost-$100-$160 (limited use of services)

sprint isn't losing me as a customer. 10 years now i've been with them and they continue to be the cheapest service of all carriers while still offering the best value for a buck

and don't tell me signal difference or anything else becuase i see absolutely no difference in quality where i live. they both use the SAME CDMA TOWERS. and don't tell me different cuz i find it hard to beleive that att has there own towers planted throughout the cities. tmo has there own. sprint has there own. and verizon has there own. THAT'S A LOT OF TOWERS TO BE PLANTED.

Last edited by snowwy66; 03-21-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Old 03-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
and don't tell me signal difference or anything else becuase i see absolutely no difference in quality where i live. they both use the SAME CDMA TOWERS. and don't tell me different cuz i find it hard to beleive that att has there own towers planted throughout the cities. tmo has there own. sprint has there own. and verizon has there own. THAT'S A LOT OF TOWERS TO BE PLANTED.
Unfortunately, you're wrong.

It is true that in some cases carriers will share the same physical tower, but they almost never share the same switches and antennas, and those are what actually affect the signal. Thus, even when carriers share the same physical tower, they will have different signal output because of the different brands of switches and antennas. Further, differences in signal range on different frequencies will affect your signal. Signals on the 850 band (both CDMA and GSM) will reach farther than signals on 1900 (both CDMA and GSM). Sprint only uses the 1900 band in their native CDMA network. Consequently, if you are in an area where Verizon also has 850, their signal will go further than your Sprint signal even if they're sharing a tower. It is for these reasons that most carriers operate their own towers. In general, most carriers only share towers along interstate or other major highways. Signal makes a difference.

I hope this clears up your misunderstanding of how cellular technology works.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
rrife
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Cingular
Default It can be done in theory.

You can reprogram CDMA phones to work on other networks using QPST...ands it's pretty easy. The problem is is that blackberries do not use QPST, that I'm aware of, so there is now way to change the PRL, MIP, MSL, etc settings to get the phone to properly register on the other networks. The other problem is is that going to Sprint is harder because they use an MSL code that is somehow tied to the ESN so unless your MSL code is set to what Sprint's network will attempt to use it won't register on the network properly. Verizon, Cricket, Metro PCS, etc all use 000000 (six 0s) for the MSL code, so when you register the phone their systems will reprogram your phone properly. But if you know what you're doing basically all you need to do is 1) update the PRL to a sprint PRL (you can download PRL files from various web sites), 2) find a way to reprogram the MSL, 3) find a way to calculate the MSL 4) activate the phone and hope they allow the foreign ESN on the network (Verizon, Metro, Cricket all allow non-network ESNs on the network).
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #28
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Verizon does not allow non-Verizon phones on their network. They have the same policy as Sprint.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #29
tomato1

Model: 8300
Carrier: tomato1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
To be clear NO you can not! If you want the Storm that bad move to Verizon or wait until Sprint gets something.
i agree with you...
Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #30
YaNeechie

Model: storm
Carrier: Sprint

FYI.....you can flash the storm to the sprint network, if you have insurance, your insurance will not cover the storm but it can be done. KUDO'S (proud owner of storm on Sprint Network)
Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #31
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaNeechie View Post
FYI.....you can flash the storm to the sprint network, if you have insurance, your insurance will not cover the storm but it can be done. KUDO'S (proud owner of storm on Sprint Network)
Can you show proof of this?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #32
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

you can flash any device. THat's not a problem.

The problem is, being ESN devices, the carrier MUST ACCEPT the ESN number in order to make it active on their network. When it comes to sprint and verizon, that's a hell no. You really have no way of doing it.

MetroPCS and Cricket are a different story. They practically allow any ESN on their network. It has to be flashed and the ESN then registered. The programs that metro and cricket stores use flash them to the right software and immediately register the ESN with the network, allowing it to be active.

There are those that have learned to flash the device themselves, only then needing to have the ESN registered. People on cricket and metropcs, all they got to do is call them up and normally a rep will do it for you.

So when it comes to verizon and sprint, sure you can flash the phone with the right PRL, ROM and software. But then your going to have to get the ESN registered on the network somehow. Good luck with that, you'll be calling customer care, begging them and not getting anywhere.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #33
jbloodwo

Model: 8330m

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
sprint blackberry plan

First off i am a Sprint user.
this in not true...
recently i was in the far north of Idaho (boners ferry) and although i was able to roam there was no sprint coverage. in fact at one point i was within like 3 miles of Canada my phone actually went in to international roaming.
So just because Verizon has a tower and CDMA radio equipment does not indicate that Sprint has any equipment at on a rack in the radio room for that tower. if you look at the sprint covrage for the norther part of Idaho it will show roaming coverage only.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
davehacker

Model: Storm

Believe me I tried, but I wound up siwtching from Sprint to Verizon for this exact reason...I wanted to use my unlocked Storm.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #35
dzl_ms3

Quote:
one post and thats it? come on dude...
Old 07-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #36
caleary

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
I have an unlocked 9500 and was using it on AT&T but now I had to switch to Sprint. After 2 hours on the phone with Tech support they said they can't do it... 2 days prior before switching to Sprint the woman said I could do it.

Can you tell me what you had to do to get Sprint to activate your storm on their network???? Pleeeeease!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #37
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleary View Post
I have an unlocked 9500 and was using it on AT&T but now I had to switch to Sprint. After 2 hours on the phone with Tech support they said they can't do it... 2 days prior before switching to Sprint the woman said I could do it.

Can you tell me what you had to do to get Sprint to activate your storm on their network???? Pleeeeease!
As stated in this thread many times, it can NOT be done. Sprint does not allow any devices but their own on their network. The poster that claims to have a Storm working on Sprint's network has never returned to prove their claim. Most likely because they weren't telling the truth.

If you're on Sprint now, the only option for you is to get a Sprint branded device.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #38
Someone1234

Model: 8703e
Carrier: MetroPCS

Yes you can get any CDMA device onto any carrier.

For a 9530, easiest way is to debrand it with MFI, then rebrand with sprint (if you choose too) or leave it unbranded (BB engineer screen)

load service books for that specific carrier (their out there on the internet)

Load PRL for that carrier (corolada prl page)

do the device switch, esn + pin and that's it. RIM does not care which carrier their device is on as long as the PIN + BSN + MEID/ESN of the device orginally matches their in record. (RIM keeps ESN/PIN/Blackberry Serial numbers in inventory and will suspend anyone that does not match)

Then rewrite the MSL/SPC, make sure your MDN/MIN is matching pair for your carrier as well as blackberry reg id (same as SID usually)

That will get basic phone calling, text and voice mail.

To get 1x/evdo you must get the service books on your device, and write the proper UM/AN settings for your account (e.g. esn(at)hcm.sprint.com and 8889997777(at)sprint.hcm.com) with proper password inside QPST service programming. After that you will have 1x. For EVDO, you must have matching AKEY and HDR (if needed).

And there ya go. ESN can be added into Sprint's database by calling sprint, which I often do. Or there are other ways which work on the 9530 CDMA variant.

So, guys stop spreading incorrect information. Nothing cries propaganda more then ignorant ears. And yes, I have several storm and storm 2 devices working 100% with full proper blackberry Internet connection.

Last edited by Someone1234; 11-26-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Old 11-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #39
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650

Someone, you may want to read the forum rules. MFI is not discussed here as it is illegal software so while you may be able to "technically" do what you propose, it requires illegal software and since this forum does not condone nor promote use of illegal software, it can't be done.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #40
Someone1234

Model: 8703e
Carrier: MetroPCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
Someone, you may want to read the forum rules. MFI is not discussed here as it is illegal software so while you may be able to "technically" do what you propose, it requires illegal software and since this forum does not condone nor promote use of illegal software, it can't be done.
It's not illegal for me as I'm with RIM.

Another one for assumptions. My my, the Internet forums sure have become hostile.

P.S. Debranding is not required, it just adds to convience. As long as ESN/MDN and MIN are in the CDMA carrier of your choice any cdma blackberry will work with that CDMA carrier. Internet and Configuration are what get you.

Last edited by Someone1234; 11-26-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Closed Thread