Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanEHdian
Why anyone would want to use a BBY for just the phone is beyond me - especially when it's the worst feature the unit has ...it's not very good as a phone...
Actually I like the BBs since the reception and signal coverage on them, especially in rural areas (IMO on Nextel) seems to me much better than regular Nextel phones. And I read similar reports on other carriers that BBs are some of the best in this regard. So I think that is a strong reason to use a BB as a phone.

It's also very nice to have your desktop address book sync'ed to your phone up to the second. Granted other phones have the ability to sync with Lotus Notes/Domino or MS Outlook/Exchange, but the BB does it so well. I like havin one address book and being able to easily email or call someone with one hand.

Quote:
I can see why someone would keep their cell phone and just use the BBY for data
I don't see the need. I get better reception and coverage on the BB. I get one synchronized address book including email addresses and all phone numbers.

Quote:
it's not very good as a phone, loudest setting and still very difficult to hear anything unless using the ear plug... and even then.
We seem to have different experiences here. With my Nextel 7510, my phone is FAR TOO LOUD. I never turn it up more than a third of the way. Else it blasts my ear out. But it still sounds loud and clean at those volumes. I use it as a handset all of the time. Granted with the dark blue color, it looks like I'm holding a ice pack (rather than a phone!) up to my ear at the airport terminal. And holy cow, is this speaker phone loud. Although I hardly use that feature. I must either have more sesnitive hearing or perhaps I use the device in quieter environments that you. I've even used it while driving on the highway and never had a problem with insufficient handset volume. (no officer, this isn't a phone, it's a ice pack. I hurt my ear.)

Aaron
Old 10-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #22
asnider123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7280

Well guys .. I guess I am another of those poeple you don't understand, I use my 7280 for voice and SMS only .. just dropped my SIM in and it works great! Besides,with my arthritis it is really the only choice for SMS (nice thumb keyboard).. I have my outlook and gmail forward my email via SMS (via teleflip.com) .. true I usually only get sender, title and a little of the message, but at least I can screen my email instantly and anywhere and check it out in detail later if it's important. I have unlimited incoming SMS, so this is perfect for me. Only have 1000 outgoing a month (and my granddaughter eats most of them). Just have to put up with the BB saying "data connection refused", (wish I could turn that off!) oh well. Agree with others, calendar, tasks, outlook contacts with me all the time very nice feature! Sync every evening. See ya

Alan
Old 10-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #23
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I just cant understand not using it for the full potential makes and awful expensive phone to not use all functions
Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #24
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I just cant understand not using it for the full potential makes and awful expensive phone to not use all functions
I partially disagree. Even at full retail price (non-subsidy) the price isn't that bad. But the $50/mo unlimited data service on top of voice, that's a rip. At least a rip to most people. What will the subsidized device cost me? $250? Compare that to $600 or $1200 in data charges over 24-48 months.

I can see paying 500-600$ full retail for a very durable phone with PDA features versus $200 for a plastic, frail POS flip phone. I will pay for durability. I hardly ever hear horror stories about blackberrys. That is unless they are abused. Try that with a Brand-X PDA phone! Ha! Also how many people wish they could easily back up their phone's address book to a PC. BlackBerrys do this out of the box, even without data services (Desktop Manager, USB cable, and a personal copy of either Outlook or Lotus Notes {preferred}). For most phones that's an added fee. Or an added hassle. Or not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
About half of the people on this site don't use a BES. The same could be said about them. With a BES, a BlackBerry, and a Secretary now that's a winning team. The BB box wasn't kidding when it said "your To Do list just got shorter." With real-time calendar and address book updates, instant access to any corp file buy just emailing a request to your secretary to "send me that file." All natively integrated with the corporate email system. We find that unlike notebooks, these things actually make you more productive and pay for themselves. Half of the function is the BES. (shhh. just don't tell the secretaries, umm, I mean Executive Assistants...)

Last edited by Aroc; 10-05-2005 at 09:30 PM..
Old 10-06-2005, 05:37 AM   #25
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Now I disagree about the BES its not a must the BWC functions just fine from 90% of anyones needs. But to just use as a phone you are cutting the devices capabilities in half. Especially since its designed as an email device first and formost.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #26
muffinman

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeworks
My voice plan is with Cingular and since their data plan is about $50 for unlimited data (not including SMS), and I was not willing to pay that rate, I went to T-Mobile for their $30 unlimited BB plan. If you are wondering, I would have done voice through T-Mobile as well but their coverage is pretty spotty in the Milwaukee area and my voice coverage needs to be pretty reliable, especially within buildings.
I guess you'd have to have an unlocked phone to do this, even still saving 20$ a month might be worth it.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #27
dashlite

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Default Nextel...no clue!!

Ok...so I got the new BB 7100i, I ordered it online. I went to my local nextel store to activate it (Upgraded from I95CL Nextel) they activated it no problem. $49 /month National Share. Used the phone for a few days, the speaker broke...I called nextel, they were great, they sent me a replacement phone the next day. I went back to my local nextel store (friends of mine) to activate the BB 7100I. My friend was busy, so she told me to just use the land line to activate the BB. I called nextel...they told me that they could not activate the phone becasue I need the BB Data Plan...$34 more a month or $44 a month. I told her that I was just using it as a DC and a phone and the PDA functions, I am not in big business. The nextel service rep told me no way. I asked to speak to her supervisor. He got on the phone I told him I had used the phone for a few day, no problem. He told me that I COULD use my old plan. He made no changes to my account and I still pay the $49 a month.
Moral of the story....Don't let Nextel push you around. Oh yea, my friend at the store told me that you can just use the phone plan and not have to have a BB plan at all. (I confirmed my bill on line to make sure tha nextel did not just bill me, my friend confirmed my bill at the store also.)
Closed Thread