BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #21
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310v
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

actually - after dropping my ipod several times and having the hard drive decide to start creating cross linked files - apple replaced it since it was still under warranty.. can't wait till all of these critics here have their screens crack! and yes they are fragile - you just got lucky.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #22
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
Buy third party insurance (search this forum), wait a week, then file new claim...?
You have had that damn bell ring so close to you that you are giving bad advice.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #23
moskatl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Default repair

I appreciate all the comments everyone has made. Just to make it clear I am not looking for a freebie. I am looking for a way to repair it. Cingular has NO advice or third party place to recommend for repairs (at my cost). For those of you who say you dropped your SOL- I agree, but with most items there is somewhere to send the broken device for repair. The fact that Cingular just shrugs their shoulders is frustrating.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #24
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
Buy third party insurance (search this forum), wait a week, then file new claim...?
What you are endorsing is a crime it is called Fraud. It is punishable, and I wonder if the punishment is worth the price of replacing the screen.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #25
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

There are several others here that are experiencing the same problem as you, I am sure that the main problem at the moment is that the unit is too new and there is simply no one out there prepared to repairs, but as I am sure that many read this forum, you will soon see that someone will be doing it. I know it is hard living with it that way specially if you cannot use the phone to its full potential but I am sure hlp is soon going to be available. Even large car manufacturers forced to recall parts have to have time to get them to suppliers to fix the cars. Specially consider that if the design is flawed the replacement has to be remanufactured so it does not happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moskatl
I appreciate all the comments everyone has made. Just to make it clear I am not looking for a freebie. I am looking for a way to repair it. Cingular has NO advice or third party place to recommend for repairs (at my cost). For those of you who say you dropped your SOL- I agree, but with most items there is somewhere to send the broken device for repair. The fact that Cingular just shrugs their shoulders is frustrating.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #26
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

What credit card did you use to purchase it? Many cards have protection against accidental damage during the first 90 days. Visa Signature has it, as does American Express Gold. There may be others, but when I buy something big, I'm sure to use one of those 2. Just in case.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #27
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalotta
seattle18, I know you are joking, but please erase your post. Don't want the moderators and owner of this great forum to get into trouble. JT
Yes, I am joking, but I'm not going to delete a joke. How's this: TO ALL IN THIS FORUM, I AM JOKING! (I thought it was obvious...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
You have had that damn bell ring so close to you that you are giving bad advice.
Now THAT is funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
What you are endorsing is a crime it is called Fraud. It is punishable, and I wonder if the punishment is worth the price of replacing the screen.
Tiki, Tiki, lighten up. First of all, I'm an attorney, so I am aware that such an act would be fraud. Second, it was a joke, but maybe I should have labelled it as such for those in here sans a sense of humor. Third, I think anyone can decide that replacing a screen isn't worth being convicted of fraud, that's kinda what made it a JOKE. (see joke disclaimer in reply to jontalotta above)
Old 01-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #28
Jelly Bean
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: torch
Carrier: at&t

I've only dropped mine once, no cracks, but after reading thru all these posts, you bet I am going to be VERY CAREFUL!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #29
estabulla

Model: 9700
Default No cracked screen here but....

magnet stopped working - so in-holster profile does not work after fall. I am not sure if the metal in the holster moved (I had a 7750 holster that I was using for the 8700c) or something in the unit itself (although I cant hear any moving parts or rattle).

--eb
Old 01-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #30
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T
Thumbs down

This is sort of a silly thing to be discussing isn't it? I mean, you dropped it for cryin' out loud, and it broke. YOU are at fault not the manufacturer.

Of course this isn't to say that there isn't the potential for an issue here, but come on... there are like 2 posts about cracked screens here? I don't consider that a defect!

Cell phones, PDA's, Handheld devices of all kinds are subject to breakage if they drop. Treat them as such and be careful, but don't call the manufacturer and complain that it broke when you dropped it, take some responsibility for your actions.

WAAH WAHH "I dropped my cell phone mommy and I want you to tell the big bad manufacturer to replace it..." WAHH WAHH

GET REAL!! SUCK IT UP!! Pay for the repair or buy a new one!

No this didn't happen to me with my 8700, but it's happened with other devices. SUCH IS LIFE DUDE!

NO WHINERS!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #31
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

I think the point being made here, is that the 8700 is not a ruggedly built device. These devices, pretty as they may be, aren't designed to withstand the daily bumps and grinds that they're put through by many users. Think back to the days of the old Motorola Classic's and such; those things could be used as hammers and wouldn't show it. Aside from greed on the manufacturer's/distributor's part, there's no valid reason why they couldn't have been better designed with the same form factor and yet be able to withstand a drop on the ground without breaking...this goes not only for RIM, but other manufacturers as well. Phones & PDA's should be able to take some abuse, perhaps not the equivalent to being run over by a truck, but at least enough to prevent screens from breaking under moderate drops. especially when you consider the high price they get for these devices...why does a 72XX series mark and lose paint on the front side from simply taking it in and out of the holster? Why should the 8700 screen scratch from being touched or held against your face, especially when these are things that they are designed to do? Why do we have to shell out hundreds or dollars to make a scratched unit look new again? Cases/screens are worth pennies apiece, not hundreds of dollars...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 01-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #32
moskatl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
This is sort of a silly thing to be discussing isn't it? I mean, you dropped it for cryin' out loud, and it broke. YOU are at fault not the manufacturer.

Of course this isn't to say that there isn't the potential for an issue here, but come on... there are like 2 posts about cracked screens here? I don't consider that a defect!

Cell phones, PDA's, Handheld devices of all kinds are subject to breakage if they drop. Treat them as such and be careful, but don't call the manufacturer and complain that it broke when you dropped it, take some responsibility for your actions.

WAAH WAHH "I dropped my cell phone mommy and I want you to tell the big bad manufacturer to replace it..." WAHH WAHH

GET REAL!! SUCK IT UP!! Pay for the repair or buy a new one!

No this didn't happen to me with my 8700, but it's happened with other devices. SUCH IS LIFE DUDE!

NO WHINERS!

My complaint is not that it cracked, and yes I am responsible for whatever happens to my blackberry. My complaint as you noted above is there is NO way to repair the cracked screen. Neither Cingular nor Rim has an answer to this question.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #33
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I paid $350 for the 8700c I have. In the world of high tech gadgets I don't consider that a high price.

If you want a relatively indestructable handheld device, then be prepaired to pay $900 - $1100 for it. I know I would expect to.

The manufacturers of any handheld and/or portable device, make tradeoffs when it comes to durability and cost to consumer. Sure, they could make a device with a titanium alloy shell, a bulletproof glass screen cover, and shock absorbant main boards, but it would be larger, heavier, and a lot more expensive.

If you want a reliable, cost associative car, buy a Toyota. On the other hand, if you want to drive into buildings, run cars and stuff over, and be able to shoot things, buy a friggin tank!

...You get what you pay for. Be careful with it and expect it to show wear and tear after a few months.

Note to others: When I had a 7100g, I spilled a few drops of Acetone on the screen. It was wiped of fairly quickly, but hazed a small portion of the screen. Yes it was annoying, but that's the life of a workhorse. I wasn't calling Cingular and asking them for a new one.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #34
moskatl
Thumbs Must Hurt

You don't seem to be responding to my point. I am not asking Cingular for a new or refurbished product. I am asking how can I get it repaired. You mentioned a car in your last post. When your car breaks down you have the choice of either getting it repaired or buying a new one. I am just looking for the same choice.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #35
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

OK, a quick Google search results in several possibilities. Just on a hunch try

http://www.blackberryrepairs.com

or email

[email address]
Old 01-04-2006, 02:28 AM   #36
moskatl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks AlbertM however the website you listed does not repair the 8700 (at least at this time).
Old 01-04-2006, 02:31 AM   #37
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

looks like we're still the only two with a cracked screen
Old 01-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #38
barjohn

Model: 8700

Cracked screens from drops are an issue on just about every PDA/Smartphone with a large screen. If you follow the other forums on HP's and a wide range of PPCs you will find that this has been an ongoing problem. The larger the screen the more usable the device but the more it is subject to damage in a drop. As a result several companies have gone in the business of doing screen replacements. PPC Techs is one of those companies that I can highly recommend. They do excellent work. When I was down in Fountain Valley at their shop I was asked by them if anyone was doing screen repairs for the units and I told them that I thought they should look into it as I didn't know of anyone. You might want to give them a call and see if they can get a replacement component from RIM to do the repair. Tell them if they need my help with a contact at RIM to get the part, I will see what I can do.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-04-2006, 04:06 AM   #39
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

http://www.pocketpctechs.com ?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #40
barjohn

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by romerom
Yes, I spoke with the owner Leonard and he seemed to be interested. You might contact them and see if they would undertake the repair.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Closed Thread