BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 05-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #41
leakylegsrider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

I own both devices (T650 and 7290) and while I love being able to play Super Mario Brothers on my treo, its just too buggy. The backlight comes on for no reason all throughout the day. I have to be available by phone 24/7 so I sleep with my phone by my bed so you can image how innoying this can be. I love the stability of the bb and the push email.

Somebody said above "If you put BB Connect on a piece of crap, all you have is a piece of crap with push email." I think this is true.

Would I go back to the treo? I might if palmone got off its a** and fixed it.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #42
r1_rydah
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just switched from a BB 7510 to a treo650.. the thing I miss most about my BB is the keyboard.. The treo keyboard is ok, but it definately can't compare to a BB board.

But I love everything else about the Treo... But I would never recommend the Treo to business users... The treo is just too easy for the end user to screw up.. if I were an admin, and had to support a bunch of treo users installing god knows what on the device... It would send me to an early grave.

If you're a gadget freak like me the treo is probably the better option... but if you're a serious business user stick with the Berry
Old 05-18-2005, 11:02 PM   #43
kitmoni
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint

Me - business user, technonut. Treo650 user since November, company uses BES. I sneak around with Sprint Business Connection to get my push email. Just tried a 7290 from Cingular and these were my observations:

Bb wins with:
-- Device's manufacturing is INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH. Case and everything, built much better than Treo.
-- Push mail. This works great, but I'm not thrilled with the inability to sort incoming messages into folders before viewing, but the mail function works really well.
-- Stability. No comparison between the two. No resets, intentional or not.
-- Form/Function. Keyboard is better, and hand size is better.
-- Bluetooth works AWESOME. I don't know why, but I can get 3 times as far from the 7290 on Bluetooth than I could on the Palm. Plus, the HS850 features all work with the Bb, not so with the Treo.

Treo wins with:
-- Screen is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Brighter, better resolution, everything.
-- Navigation is better. Thumbwheel is nice, but you have several options on the Treo. The 5 way lets you go in any direction at any time, unlike the thumbwheel (yes, I know you can hold the key in an app and go sideways, but it's still not the same). Plus you have the OPTION to use the stylus and not "navigate" at all.
-- Phone is better. That is, form factor for phone conversations, and the dialing interface to contacts and one-touch buttons (and favorites). Much more user friendly than multiple steps to dial a contact in Bb.

Overall, if given the choice, I will be using a Bb. I had to turn in my 7290 as we are standardizing on SPCS. So, I will be waiting for the 7250 -- anyone know a drop date?? Can't wait to be back on the Bb...
Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 AM   #44
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Land where Blackburr's grow off trees....not sure yet
Model: 8120
PIN: 24760E78
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakylegsrider
I own both devices (T650 and 7290) and while I love being able to play Super Mario Brothers on my treo, its just too buggy. The backlight comes on for no reason all throughout the day. I have to be available by phone 24/7 so I sleep with my phone by my bed so you can image how innoying this can be. I love the stability of the bb and the push email.

Somebody said above "If you put BB Connect on a piece of crap, all you have is a piece of crap with push email." I think this is true.

Would I go back to the treo? I might if palmone got off its a** and fixed it.
I have a simple solution for you... if you love your 650 then have it by your bedside but just turn the phone face down... that would fix that issue...NEXT...j/k

There is no doubt that the T650 does a whole lot but the thing that I'm not impressed with is that the 650 doesn't have the updated BT software version-current BT version is 1.2 and it comes stock with 1.0 which causes many BT connection problems. What bugs me is that Palm does not offer an upgrade on their site to upgrade their BT to the new version. Instead they have a list of maybe 5 BT headsets that are compatible... don't understand why they just don't upgrade their poo... I have the Treo as well but it's sitting on m desk collecting dust because it's just way too heavy and the battery life is really lacking... If I had to pay for it I would be very unhappy because you pay all the money to get a high end product and it only works half the time.... just my opinion.
Currently using 8100 Pearl.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #45
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

IMO, I think that this is kind of an oxymoron... well...not really... but I have always been a BB user and I refuse to use a Treo bc it's not as user friendly and it's too clunky, battery life stinks, e-mail stinks not to mention the keyboard stinks as well... BB is a much better e-mail device than any other device, comparing to the Treo. I just think that BB should stay with it's own breed and not make a hybrid... this is only my opinion and I'm sure there are others that are estatic about this...
Old 05-31-2005, 07:07 AM   #46
billh58

Model: 7520

I have been using a Treo 600 for a little over a year. I finally switched to a BB 7520 mainly because I can see the screen in bright daylight. Yeah, there's more software for the Palm OS, but nothing that I can't live without.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #47
MobileRC

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

I think the sales and service that palm and goodlink provide in itself makes RIM's position even stronger. From a business users standpoint there should be no comparison, BB wins hands down.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:34 AM   #48
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

Treo's don't work as well as the BB's. The 650 has many man issues, similar to the issues that the 7100t have. Most people are either BB users or Treo users, not both. IMO I think that RIM should keep the things the way they are with the BES, BWC, and PIN messaging and not try to incorporate it into a Treo device.

Why mix it? BB has to have something that Treo doesn't have in order for them to be competitive. If they were to incorporate BB applications on a Treo they may as well just merge with Treo and share the wealth.

I don't understand what the hype is all about with the Treo's. They are large in size and they don't do much more than a BB if anything. I have used the Treo 600, 650, and the Samsung I500 which was palm based with Sprint and I never liked them. It was hard to write e-mails and they can't hold as much e-mails as well... it's just not my fancy. But then again, it's just me.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #49
MobileRC

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

I think the allure of the palm is feeding off of peoples familiarity and comfort zone. People have been using palms for years and are used to them. As well as the touchscreen for navigation people seem to like.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #50
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
I wanted to love the Treo 600. And now it sits under my desk in the pile of unused PDAs. Too unstable. Too crappy.
Would you be interested in getting rid of the 600? What carrier is it? PM me if interested.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 06-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #51
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

It belongs to my company and I have no good way of selling it. In any event, what would I use for a doorstop
Old 06-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #52
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's
Default so which one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara
I did the agonizing over 650 vs 7100 very recently. The choice came down to (1) wait for a Treo 650 with no camera and improved reliablity to show up with Cingular or (2) get a 7100g right now. The camera-free 650 should be here in mid-summer (hofo consensus) but the device is generating far too many complaints to make me comfortable. My 7100 is the 3rd finest toy I've ever had (top two: 1. trycycle at age 2, 2. Porsche at age 35) and seems to be built very well (I've only had the 7100 for 2.5 weeks, I could get pretty angry if it dies next month).

email is the big deal for me. The BB web browser does what I need, the screen resolution, while not close to the 650, is way better than the moto v400 I had before. I have a friend who's on his 3rd Treo 600 in a year, and the device he has now has a real bad dim area in the center of the screen. That guy sold me the 7100 when he showed me his screen.

YMMV is the operative word here. I spent 3 months figuring this out. I read this forum, a few Treo forums (these people will tolerate a lot of abuse from P1), and hofo before I could figure out what to do.
Here is my dilema: my bosses don't like the fact that the bbe do not have external memory capabilities. So they complain about upgrading the devices instead of purchasing a model with enough memory, they keep buying "discount bb's". DUH!

So know I have to research new devices that will use external memory!! And they like the treo... Btw we are still using 6710's with 8mgs. (Okay don't laugh). Talk about a lot of work for me when, all day, users calling about their bb hanging up!

Its ridiculous!!

Wow!!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #53
bbgirl

Default sound??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9balla4life
I have a simple solution for you... if you love your 650 then have it by your bedside but just turn the phone face down... that would fix that issue...NEXT...j/k

There is no doubt that the T650 does a whole lot but the thing that I'm not impressed with is that the 650 doesn't have the updated BT software version-current BT version is 1.2 and it comes stock with 1.0 which causes many BT connection problems. What bugs me is that Palm does not offer an upgrade on their site to upgrade their BT to the new version. Instead they have a list of maybe 5 BT headsets that are compatible... don't understand why they just don't upgrade their poo... I have the Treo as well but it's sitting on m desk collecting dust because it's just way too heavy and the battery life is really lacking... If I had to pay for it I would be very unhappy because you pay all the money to get a high end product and it only works half the time.... just my opinion.
Did I read someone say their bb had sound? WHAT?????? I have tmobile and am waiting to test bbconnect with some windows devices....
Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 AM   #54
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: at&t/T-Mobile/Verizon

Have they tried using the 7290's from TMobile? There's no comparison to using 6710's?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 AM   #55
bbgirl

what is the memory capacity? I am just trying to at least get them to upgrade to anything. I would go with a 7230 for all that matter...i just dont get them....
Old 04-04-2006, 12:44 AM   #56
L3stat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: SingTel

Sorry for digging up an old thread, didn't want to start another one on the same.

I have the option of trying out a Treo 650, instead of my 7290. Read through some of the posts here, but have got some queries:

1. Does Blackberry Connect allow the use of BWC? My company's BES works, but I'm not sure if BWC will continue to work.

2. Does the mail client in the Treo have a "Delete Prior" function? I really can't live without that.

3. How are PIN messages handled? Still possible, or is that for BB hardware only? BB Messenger is really hard to give up.

The rest of the niggling issues I can live with (even the antenna!), as I've a lot of registered Palm OS software that I could use, like the launchers, games, dictionaries etc.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:42 AM   #57
tankee531

Model: 9800
PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

Blackberry connect on Treo 650 will be launched by Singtel in Singapore on 12 Apr 2006.

Singtel claims that they will be first telco in the world to offer Blackberry on Treo.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #58
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankee531
Blackberry connect on Treo 650 will be launched by Singtel in Singapore on 12 Apr 2006.

Singtel claims that they will be first telco in the world to offer Blackberry on Treo.
Will it be incorporated via ROM update or simply by *.prc?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:54 AM   #59
tankee531

Model: 9800
PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

according to my company's Singtel account manager, it is not built into the rom.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #60
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankee531
according to my company's Singtel account manager, it is not built into the rom.

Well that's certainly good news...