Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
I don't get it. So just how much does Verizon pay you. I mean really the only way I would defend Verizon's crippling techniques like you do is if they paid me.
They don't pay me but i have used every other cell service out there i was a long time proponent of Nextel. I defended them every chance I had. That all changed when sprint took over because quality went down hill and customer service sucked. I jumped ship and tried all the rest VZW excelled in every aspect over the service I had.

I defend them because they have great CELL service and thats what I consider a phone for not GPS or all the other add ons. The extras are nice but if the service doesnt work who needs it.

Last edited by Dawg; 09-11-2008 at 04:56 AM..
Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #42
citek

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Currently Verizon but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Dawg, you have to give him credit, he's doing his homework BEFORE he gets the phone, just as you say everyone should do. And as for the GPS, without *****ing and moaning about it, the simple fact is that it IS crippled in the Verizon BlackBerry's, it will only work with VZ Navigator. Even if you pay for VZ Navigator, it will ONLY work with that, not with other programs like my golf program.

Better he find out all the details now, and make an intelligent, informed decision - one way or the other, right?

(And I knew you'd show up in this thread! That's about as reliable as the sun coming up this morning! )
DallasFlier,

I too am looking into getting a BB. I am currently with Verizon and think I will move to AT&T. I believe AT&T are not as bad with locking down the phones as Verizon does and service is better from the house than Verizon.

On a different note, I am a fan of the HUSKER'S born and raised in Nebraska and now live in Maryland - Go HUSKER'S
Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #43
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by citek View Post
DallasFlier,

I too am looking into getting a BB. I am currently with Verizon and think I will move to AT&T. I believe AT&T are not as bad with locking down the phones as Verizon does and service is better from the house than Verizon.

On a different note, I am a fan of the HUSKER'S born and raised in Nebraska and now live in Maryland - Go HUSKER'S
well at least you are doing what any one should when they arent happy. Go else where
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #44
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Anyone think this topic has been aired long enough, both sides are clear of the facts?
Yes and its quite simple. If your really need GPS and don't want to pay for it, then don't use VZW. Doesn't make sense to use VZW and then complain about what they don't give you. Freedom of choice is a great thing.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #45
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted

Dawg isn't the only strong advocate of vzw around here. Sure, they make you pay for gps ability, sure the plans may be more expensive than some carriers. You know what? I can say this one time and hope people get it - - it's network coverage and reliability first, features and cost are secondary. No carrier has the coverage and reliability across the US like vzw. Am I the only one that saw the JD Power results where vzw ranked highest in EVERY region in the country?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #46
techitrucker

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Default Huh

Google maps works fine with my Verizon Curve 8330 even before the new OS update so not completely crippled. Also works on my kids Pearl. As for other programs the workaround is to open up VZNavigator. While it is running, any other GPS enabled program you have on your phone will work too. Keep in mind, the 8330 and the 8130 are only A-GPS. they have no standalone GPS in them at all, so all the *****ing is a little lame. VZ Navigator gets tower priority which allows a more accurate fix on these phones since they do not see satellites. Its amazing Google Maps works at all even without that fixing function built into Navigator, but its accuracy is spotty. Verizon did not actually lock the GPS, they just don't allow that tower priority from the phone without Navigator running. The other carriers do. I find it best to use it for local traffic and a standalone GPS for the actual routing. Storm will have and actual SERF chipset, ie. it can see satellites as well as A gps. RIM is not allowing it to be locked down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Dawg, you have to give him credit, he's doing his homework BEFORE he gets the phone, just as you say everyone should do. And as for the GPS, without *****ing and moaning about it, the simple fact is that it IS crippled in the Verizon BlackBerry's, it will only work with VZ Navigator. Even if you pay for VZ Navigator, it will ONLY work with that, not with other programs like my golf program.

Better he find out all the details now, and make an intelligent, informed decision - one way or the other, right?

(And I knew you'd show up in this thread! That's about as reliable as the sun coming up this morning! )
Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #47
jdzialak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've read this whole thread and i hope this isn't off topic.
How much better is 3g compared to my tmo Edge and UMA ?
I guess I don't know what I'm missing...

Joe
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #48
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

joe LIGHT YEARS BETTER!!! Techitrucker I agree and have also heard no lockdown